Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tampa Bay again? NFL fomenting new rivalry?

ghost exits

Three years in a row the Redskins are playing Tampa Bay. And that is not counting the playoff game last season as well. Seems like something that should happen less often. Which brings up three interesting questions:

(1) is this more than a coincidence, i.e. is the NFL scheduling department trying to foment a new rivalry - or trying to make for "good tv" (as there is a definitely a good storyline between the Redskins and the Buccaneers now)?

(2) is there actually a genuine rivalry brewing between both teams, amongst both fans and players?

and

(3) knowing that Tampa Bay might play the Redskins every year, why hasn't Arrington pitched his services to them yet?

Schedulers just determine when the game gets held, not who the teams play.

Playing Tampa multiple years in a row is just a coincidence based on how both you and they finished in your own respective divisions and which division you are due to play.

Regardless of the reason why we're playing them a rivalry is definately developing between the two teams...

I mean Gibbs got his first win in Gibbs II against Gruden...The controversial 2-point conversion last yr, The playoff game that we won plus the spitting incident from that game...Not to mention from a few yrs back the game we won in OT off of Deion's punt return, the last second loss to them in the playoffs in 99', The "cant get right" incident between Lavar and Sapp...

This match-up has alot of intrigue involved in it and I'm glad we're playing them!

personally, i loved seeing this on the schedule. the skins-bucs games are always great matchups, they always cause both teams to fight till the end, and i would love nothing more to stuff it to them even harder for that 2pt non-conversion.

The Skins and Bucs have played some great games over the past 6-8 years.

1998 20-16 Skins

1999 14-13 Bucs (Playoffs)

2000 20-17 OT Skins

2004 16-10 Skins (the return of Gibbs)

2005 36-35 Bucs (did he get in or not)

2005 17-10 Skins (Playoffs)

Perhaps the best non-NFC East rivalry the Skins have right now.

It will be another slug fest thats for sure but its all Skins this year, will beat them at thier place and smack em around at our place (thats right folks, i'm talking playoff games in FedEx this year).

On another note, there is no way the NFL is trying to make this a rivalry. Tampa is a small market team with bad fans. If anything they would try to make a rivalry between us and the ravens, who i personally hate nearly as much as our NFC east opponents.

Do you not recall when we played them on opening day a couple of years ago?! That big TD run by Clinton Portis?! And if I'm not mistaken, we played them here in DC the year before that as well...

Wow, your right! How could I forget Coach Gibbs first win in the regular season since his return? And they were here in 2003. I think I was so pissed off from last years reg. seas. game that my memory wouldn't go back any further.

Whew, I take it back... my bad, thanx!

Playing Tampa multiple years in a row is just a coincidence based on how both you and they finished in your own respective divisions and which division you are due to play.

i like that graphic, that looks pretty cool..

oops sorry about this

I've been at the last three games. My folks moved to Tampa last year, the playoff game was incredible. They have good fans, (obviously they don't compare). Skins nation represented extremely well at both games, I would say 10000+ at the regular season game and probably 15000+ at the playoff game. I just pray another stadium doesn't hand out flags with wooden sticks at another game ever again. I think I got whacked 10 times by some annoying fan waving the stupid flag last year. For those of you who don't understand, each division rotates playing another NFC EAST division every year. This year we play the NFC South. The other two NFC opponents are 1 team from each of the other divisions that finished in the respective slot in their division. We played Tampa last year because each team finished in 4th. The year before each team finished 3rd. The year before that when they annilated us @ home we were playing the entire NFC south. Remember 14 games are predetermined through 09, the only 2 games we don't know next year are who we are playing in the NFC South and who we are playing the NFC West.

Archived