Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaVar not close to deal with the Giants

ratbert_rizzo

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants/66598.htm

April 6, 2006 -- Given his pedigree, it was not likely linebacker LaVar Arrington would make it into the month of April without hooking on with a new team. But that is the case, a sure sign the player is seeking more money than anyone is willing to spend.

The Giants have real interest in Arrington but have engaged in no real substantive talks with his agents since making an offer three weeks ago.

Arrington and his family paid a visit to the Giants in the second week of March, dined with coach Tom Coughlin, GM Ernie Accorsi and linebacker Antonio Pierce, Arrington's former teammate with the Redskins.

Arrington met the Giant coaching staff but did not take a physical or work out for the team. After the visit, the framework of a contract proposal was presented to Arrington's agents, Carl and Kevin Poston. It was considerably less money than what the Postons were seeking.

Since then, little has changed, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Reports that a deal with the Giants is close or even imminent are not accurate.

The Giants have not announced they have ceased negotiations or taken their offer off the table - a statement they made last year with Plaxico Burress before he eventually signed - but the difference in the contract offered and sought is so great that there is not much to talk about. The Dolphins, Jaguars and Bengals are also interested, but not at Arrington's price.

:laugh: :laugh:

Well, I wish that the LaVar Drama would just die off. If I were him, i would sign a medium level contract for 1 or 2 years, and then ask for more money when that contract is up. Man, I Love Lavar, but he will never sign if he doesn't get rid of the Postons.

I think the Postons did him a disservice.

They need to know what his chances are of signing on with another team farl in advance. That's what they are paid for.

We are already well into FA, and he still has not found a team.

They are just waiting for a new commission check for whatever new deal he signs. I hope Lavar takes notice.

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe one of the reasons the Redskins haven't signed another vet linebacker may be because Lavar hasn't signed elswhere (along with the fact they like Clemons and could use the 2nd round draft pick on a LB), leaving the door open on resigning him. I doubt Lavar would want to loose face by doing so tho.

Of course, the exact numbers of the offers aren't public knowledge, but I would bet the house that the Redskins' offer is higher than what other teams are willing to pay, particularly in guaranteed money. :2cents:

Quick question: If he's spending all this time racking up frequent flyer miles how in the hell is he in shape enough for the up and coming OTAs or if a team were to ask him to work out? I know its early but if you recall the last interview he had on the John Thompson show he mentioned looking forward to the off season in not having to rehab and focusing on the more typical style of getting in shape and in his words "wanting to lose a little weight" to be able to do things he once was able to do.

I think the Postons did him a disservice.

They need to know what his chances are of signing on with another team farl in advance. That's what they are paid for.

We are already well into FA, and he still has not found a team.

They are just waiting for a new commission check for whatever new deal he signs. I hope Lavar takes notice.

Ty Law still not signed

Charles Woodson still not signed

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe one of the reasons the Redskins haven't signed another vet linebacker may be because Lavar hasn't signed elswhere (along with the fact they like Clemons and could use the 2nd round draft pick on a LB), leaving the door open on resigning him. I doubt Lavar would want to loose face by doing so tho.

No chance Lance.

It wouldn't be about LaVar losing face. It would be about the 'Skins not wanting him. Zero chance his return is even joked about, much less seriously considered at Redskins Park.

Of course, the exact numbers of the offers aren't public knowledge, but I would bet the house that the Redskins' offer is higher than what other teams are willing to pay, particularly in guaranteed money. :2cents:

I'd bet the Redskins haven't offered him anything since he left, because our offer would be lower than the Gints, Jags, & Fins offer, and thus more of an insult than anything else. And we'd not make an offer because our coaches probably have a lower opinion of his worth than the teams he is negotiating with, because our coaches know him better. They have lived with the problems he creates as well as the good things he does, and are probably tired of the problems. We've been there and done that, and have enjoyed about as much of it as they can stand. I think we are waiting to pick up an OLB in the draft, where we can mold the guy to what our coaches expect a linebacker to do, rather than try to teach an old dog new tricks.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spgiants0406,0,4360180.story?coll=ny-giants-print

BY BOB GLAUBER

Newsday Staff Writer

April 6, 2006

While talks with free agent LaVar Arrington remain at a standstill, the Giants plan to bring in another outside linebacker to add depth at the position. Chad Brown, a veteran pass rusher who last played for New England, is expected to visit with the Giants shortly.

"We're going to talk [Thursday] and set up a visit," Brown's agent, Peter Schaefer, said Wednesday. "Chad is very excited about meeting with the staff. There are no absolutes or definites, but we'll see what happens."

Brown, who turns 36 in July, is a 14-year veteran with 78 career sacks. Originally drafted by the Steelers in 1993, he signed a free agent deal with the Seahawks in 1997. He was released by Seattle after the 2004 season, and signed with the Patriots last year. He did not register a sack, but registered 39 tackles in 15 games.

The Giants have not made any headway in talks with Arrington, who is said to prefer playing on the East coast.

Im confused about how the postons are still working werent they docked for like 6 months or something according to the nflpa or something along those lines. I really think they are nothing but a disservice to the entire NFL as it is they should find another area like baseball to go work in...

Archived