Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Archuleta a team player?

TE#80

"Archuleta has followed his rigorous routine in Phoenix and regularly visits a trainer and chiropractor in California. Archuleta will participate when team activities begin later in the offseason, Wichard said."

There's a big ol thread on this... but whatever...

What's your opinion TE#80? The quote you provided isn't showing that he is or is not, will or will not be a team player. Simply that he follows his own workout, which I hear is pretty effective ;) . So what opinion do you do you have of him?

I feel that voluntary off-season workouts, though voluntary, provide a great chance to show the coaches and your teammates that you are committed to them and not only yourself. Team chemistry is huge in the great sport of football and if your not around your team there won't be any.

I agree w/ TE#80. OTAs are about getting to know your teammates as much as they are about getting into shape.

However I agree with AA's decision to work out with his own trainer. It was this regimine that got him into the league and made him successful. You have to go with what works best.

It is alot easier to develop team chemistry if you are in the shape needed to play to your potential. If he were to do a lesser workout regimine and not be able to perform physically then things would be more likely to go sour. (just my 2 cents).

Isn't it funny when Sean Taylor worked out in Miami like he always did he got blasted, but when Archuleta, whom we are paying more money than any other Safety on the team, skips voluntary camps to stick to his routine, he's commended?

Now, I didn't have a problem with Sean doing it, and I don't have a problem with Archuleta doing it, but I'm just pointing out the inherent hypocracy of some who might be backtracking here...

Isn't it funny when Sean Taylor worked out in Miami like he always did he got blasted, but when Archuleta, whom we are paying more money than any other Safety on the team, skips voluntary camps to stick to his routine, he's commended?

Now, I didn't have a problem with Sean doing it, and I don't have a problem with Archuleta doing it, but I'm just pointing out the inherent hypocracy of some who might be backtracking here...

first off, Sean Taylor's guranteed money in his contract is a few more million than Archuleta got, so that's false

second, Sean Taylor was a rookie, Archuleta is a veteran

I want to see him here too, but it was excused, so it's all good

I may be wrong here, and I can only speak for myself but I was a little put off by ST not showing up for voluntary workouts because of his reputation. From where I sat it looked like ST was hangin' out in south Florida, thuggin' out and it just seemed like he had better things to do. Not only that, but with only one season under his belt in the league at the time he skipped the workouts, it seemed to me that he'd want to be there to retain as much as possible from coaches, and players for that matter. All in all, at the time it seemed like he was simply uninterested. Again, thats just my point of view.

Archy, on the other hand, has been in the league for several seasons and to my knowledge has never been accused of not being a team guy. And as already mentioned, he's working out twice as hard as the rest of the team in Arizona, a program in which he swears by. Archy will have all of training camp and pre-season, which as we all know is an awful long time, to build team chemistry. I havent thought twice about it. In fact, what were we talking about?

I feel that voluntary off-season workouts, though voluntary, provide a great chance to show the coaches and your teammates that you are committed to them and not only yourself. Team chemistry is huge in the great sport of football and if your not around your team there won't be any.

All right, I buy that. I also agree that team chemistry is very important.

But what are they actually doing in these specific workouts that Adam Archuleta's missing? I mean, I don't know... I didn't play football in college or even in high school. But my guess is that they're just lifting weights, running, pushing those sled things I saw on redskins.com.

I don't believe they're doing actual drills yet. If that's the case, what "chemistry" are they building? They're becoming friends? That's good but it doesn't help on the field. TO and McNabb got the job done even though there was tension between the two.

Besides, what "chemistry" needs to be built among DBs? I can understand QBs and WRs, getting the timing down. I can understand OL working out together, being a single unit.

But DBs? I think they need to build "trust" more than anything. They have to trust that the other guy will make the tackle, that he won't blow the coverage. This would allow that player to focus on his man rather than having to be concerned about picking up the slack of his teamate. That comes from experience in games, not from practice.

Now, I'm not saying chemistry isn't required. A perfect example is one of Santana Moss' touchdowns against Dallas (in the first game, you know... the spectacular ones). I beleive the announcer said that the CB (Newman?) let Santana pass him because he was expecting Roy Williams to be his backup, however Chris Cooley caught Roy's attention. That's trust... which cost them the game, but oh well.

With that said, I remember reading somewhere that Adam does plan to workout with the Skins, he just isn't at the moment... maybe he's sleeping. Lazy :censored: ... :silly:

No need to fret.

If Sean Taylor missed these workouts again, I think people would only gripe because of the mess he got in last time. When he came back in great shape, he proved he can be trusted to work out on his own.

From what I've read, Adam Archuleta is known for his "crazy workouts" and that he's as strong as an ox from his personal training. If he's praised so highly for it, why take it away from him? That's like telling Sean Taylor he can't "lay the lumber" anymore. It's what makes him who he is. Also, as someone pointed out, he's been excused by the coaches.

I think it's important for a safety to learn the tendencies and mindset of his cornerbacks and linebackers. He needs to know what they bite on how fast they are and how agile they are. That way, he can anticipate their weaknesses and strengths to add better support. It's better for him to be there, especially as he's new and doesn't know the system and doesn't know the guys he'll be working with. Corners may be on an island, but safeties aren't.

Now, if team workouts are only lifting and running maybe it's not so important, but if they sneak off to the field and simulate some situations or begin going over film together and are talking strategy too... I think he is missing something that he shouldn't.

Hope Adam Bomb doesn't go down....I don't really know the behind the scenes reason for his absence (I don't think he just didn't show). But Coach G. will deal with it.

How do we measure the value of picking Adam Bomb up? Well, they'll (Coaches)figure that out too. Fans are probaly hoping for at least 3 INTs and 70 solos...and creation of fumbles--a season. But one things for certain he won't see the end of his contract, no body will. Not contracts based at that value, anyway.

I agree w/ TE#80. OTAs are about getting to know your teammates as much as they are about getting into shape.

However I agree with AA's decision to work out with his own trainer. It was this regimine that got him into the league and made him successful. You have to go with what works best.

It is alot easier to develop team chemistry if you are in the shape needed to play to your potential. If he were to do a lesser workout regimine and not be able to perform physically then things would be more likely to go sour. (just my 2 cents).

It sounds like a lame excuse to me. Why can't he just do his routine in the DC area and also take part in the team activities?

I didn't have any bigger problem with ST missing the workouts than I do AA. The huge difference everybody seems to be glossing over is that ST never told Gibbs he wouldn't be there and never returned his calls. If he had told the coaching staff that he was going to work out in Miami I don't think anybody would have said boo about it. Add to that that there were rumors that he was holding out for a new contract and you get a controversy.

95% of the players attended last season's workouts meaning that Taylor was not the only one to miss. Does anybody know who the others were? No because they told Gibbs they wouldn't be there and it was a non-issue just as Archuleta missing them is a non-issue. Archuleta has had back problems and his chiropractor is in Phoenix. End of story unless someone with an agenda wants to make it a story.

as long as he is there for OTAs, im sure it will not be a big deal. he does workout differently than everyone else so you can't blame him. he'll be there when it really matters

Good point cause you never know unless you're in the club house, but I don't know about the working out thats so different part. What does his work out regimen consist of that's so different? Yoga ? Well, but yeah understood and the Coaches got it. And hopefully he will show for OTAs because that's a time for the team to reunite with the mind set of the up coming season and for new arrivals to kind of get blended with teamates and acclimate to the Redskins way --especially to how Coach G. will be conducting business. But they (Coaches) got it. Anybody here anything on Draft Day Party at FEDEDX yet?

Archived