Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs is doing it right - Campbell

DoggieStyle

"Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs said Wednesday that Jason Campbell, a first-round draft pick last year, will be given a chance in training camp and during the preseason to win the No. 2 quarterback job behind starter Mark Brunell."

Now, this is the way it should be. The young guy gets a chance to prove himself as #2, not #1. If he eventually gets a starter job, he'll earn it.

Imagine that!

Thank god we have Gibbs.

Well, that's good coaching for one. And for two, Gibbs and Campbell knows this is Jason's time to shine. Not taking anything away from Tood Collins, but there's no reason why Jason shouldn't come away as at least the back up QB.

IMHO it's important for JC and the franchise that he win the backup job this season. I believe he will, but I'll start to worry about him if he doesn't.

Gibbs will play the best player. He is setting Campbell up to prove himself and earn whatever job he gets. You better believe that if Campbell sets the world on fire in the preseason that he will get his chance in the regular season. However, if Gibbs comes out and says that Campbell is challenging Brunell for the starting spot and Campbell does not come through there is gonna be some Campbell bashing, and thats not what you want with a young quarterback who needs confidence in himself and from the rest of the team.

You can't change a tiger's stripes ... same ole Brunell ... the guy who stunk up the joint in 2004 and looked like a cadaver in the last 3 games of 2005. The same with coack Gibbs ... conservative ... bordering on wimpy ... to a fault. I say throw Campbell in there and let him develop under fire just like Big Ben and McNabb. What is this BS about No.2? Sounds like last year when Gibbs annointed Pat Ramsey in April only to dump him in September ... de ja vu all over again. Make a gutsy decision Gibbs and stick with it! Get rid of Brunell ... play Campbell ... be classy ... so what if you lose a few games in September ... I want Tigers in December.

I like the fact that Gibbs hasn't given Campbell anything because he is unproven ... except for all the opportunity in the world to learn and develop last year and this year.

The thing I really like about this is that Collins is very familiar with Saunders' system ... especially the language and the flow of the play calling and what Saunders is looking for in terms of QB reads and so forth ... so Campbell truly does have to earn this which he should and will bring with it confidence. I think this does much more for Campbell then if he was just given the 2nd string position. Plus as he earns this, he will garner more respect from his teammates.

Look at Buffalo ... they spent a #1 on Losman a few years ago and they are already shopping him. This is what can happen if you don't build up a QB's confidence and get them started in the right direction.

Sounds like last year when Gibbs annointed Pat Ramsey in April only to dump him in September ... de ja vu all over again.

Gibbs annointed Ramsey last year because he was hoping that Ramsey would elevate his game with a boost of confidence. Gibbs didn't waver from that even through training camp when Brunell looked more crisp and a lot more confident then Ramsey, even if he was going against 2nd & 3rd stringers. Brunell had a better control of the offense and a better presense on the field, even if his legs did give out on him after the injury in the Giants game and he looked like 2004 version compared with early 2005 in the playoffs.

This whole scenario is different with Campbell. Campbell hasn't be thrusted into an offense prematurely because the other guys on the team can't consistently get the job done either ... which is what happened with Shane Matthews and Danny Weurffel under Spurrier. Our offensive line is much much better and we won't be knocking the stuffing out of Campbell for the first couple years of his career to get him hearing footsteps early and often. We won't be yelling at him for turnovers on one end and criticizing him for holding onto the ball too long on the other hand ... which results in more sacks as well.

Most people on the board would agree the Ramsey's confidence issues were in part due to his first couple years under Spurrier. Gibbs was doing the best he could with Ramsey given the situation ... including Ramsey thinking that he was definite starter material and I imagine after Detroit, Miami, and the prolonged situation with the Jets that he probably understands that no team in the NFL views him as a clear cut starter.

The situations are very very different.

I know the situations are slightly different ... we have an attitude problem here ... shuffling, backsliding and hedging are all the earmarks of an indicisive cautious defensive coaching philosophy ... not my style. Watch Eli Manning this year ... you wikll see what I mean.

Id rather we not throw away a few early games, you never know when you might need those wins to keep your rivals out of the playoffs. If it turns out he's completely amazing in preseason, he deserves a little playing time but coming out as the starter all season could easily ruin him and our record. I stand by Gibbs and conservative coaching.

I know the situations are slightly different ... we have an attitude problem here ... shuffling, backsliding and hedging are all the earmarks of an indicisive cautious defensive coaching philosophy ... not my style. Watch Eli Manning this year ... you wikll see what I mean.

I watched Eli Manning last year. It looked like a young QB that was backsliding as a result of trying to do too much and from learning bad habits from being forced in too early. He was so terrible in the playoff game he might as well not have even showed up.

Am I reading this correctly? You believe that the Redskins have an attitude problem and that the front office and coaches have not be straight forward with Campbell in some manner? Additionally, you believe that the only way to bring a QB along proper is throwing him into the fire?

Let's take a look at #2 while I am hoping you elaborate at how Gibbs & Co. have somehow not been upfront about the slow deliberate methodical process of bringing Campbell in from college to eventuall starter of this franchise ...

Ben Rothlisberger was set to ride the bench for a full year while under Tommy Maddox until injury struck. Carson Palmer did ride the bench for a full year under Kitna until he got his start. I image Phillip Rivers will do nicely this year after riding the pine for 2 years under Drew Brees. Chad Pennington ... a very good leader who has had very bad luck in the injury department was very promising after riding the bench behind Vinny Testaverde. Trent Green was a backup with us under Norv before he went to St. Louis - and then to the Chiefs w/ Dick Vermeil. Steve Young was behind Joe Montana. Mark Rypien was on the bench for a number of years before getting his start and winning a SB for us. Stan Humphries was on the bench for a number of years before being traded to San Diego and bringing them to the Super Bowl. Point is ... there are many many many theories on how to bring a QB along and there is a lot of support and history for letting a QB get brought along slowly at first to learn the offense and get familiar with the system before throwing them to the wolves.

Gibbs is old school. He isn't going to be as risky about throwing in a new QB into the mix as much as newer coaches usually do. Heck ... even look at Steve McNair .. he wasn't the starter immediately in TN.

Campbell has been here just 1 year. It is way too premature to label the coaches handling of him a failure.

A few more ... Matt Hasselbeck and Brett Favre were both backups. Jake Delhomme was a backup in NO before coming into Carolina and surprising the coaches. Brady was a backup to Bledsoe, and Mark Bulger was a backup to Warner. Many of the successful QB's in the league were originally backups.

Sure a few like Brady and Rothlisberger have benefited from injuries and were ready ahead of schedule. Sure a few more QB's have been pretty good while starting immediately like Troy Aikman, Donovan McNabb, and Peyton Manning.

But many struggle and don't find any success when thrown in too early ... see David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, etc ...

To add on to what you're saying - Ben still wasn't ready the first season he started. He was greatly assisted by wonderful play calling. He threw the ball less than 19-20 times a game. The Steelers played to his strengths, and used a power running attack to set up play action passes. They didn't put Ben in a position to lose games and didn't thrust him a huge playbook and say learn to run the entire offense now.

Campbell will never be ready ... at the rate he is currently being handled ... what a tragedy in the making. I can't look ...

This is all about not putting too much pressure on Campbell. Let him prepare to be #2 so he wont feel overwhelmed. If he plays exceptionally well and Brunell stinks it up, He'll get his shot at starting. Dont worry, Gibbs knows what he's doing.

:logo:

Good ... I have everyone's attention ... I know there are precedents to be cited either way ... look at this guy ... look at that guy, etc. But focus on the present situation where the Skins have assembled a talented playoff grade team ... an ideal situation for supporting a young QB (see Steelers). ... Do we now hamstring this juggernaut with a mediocre overthehill QB ... or do we take a very talented young stud and mold the team around him to produce an exciting synergy. Even if it does not take us deep into the playoffs this year ... so freakin what ... it will definitely payoff in 2007 and beyond. It is a win-win situation in my eyes. Heming and hawing and hoping Brunell stays healthy is a no-win dead end frustrating prospect ... just look at his pathetic performance over the last 3 games of 2006 (he is not getting younger). IMO the Campbell-Now strategy not only will be best over the long term ... it will be exciting now and might even be successful! Carpe Diem!

To add on to what you're saying - Ben still wasn't ready the first season he started. He was greatly assisted by wonderful play calling. He threw the ball less than 19-20 times a game. The Steelers played to his strengths, and used a power running attack to set up play action passes. They didn't put Ben in a position to lose games and didn't thrust him a huge playbook and say learn to run the entire offense now.

To your point, I was listening to an interview of his where he said the following about starting to early: He decided on the receiver that he was going to throw to before the snap, and pretended to do reads. It was too much to try to learn the offense, so he only knew where ONE receiver was gong to be. The point with Campbell is to not have him in that position....

Campbell will never be ready ... at the rate he is currently being handled ... what a tragedy in the making. I can't look ...

Someone of your age should know a lot better than to be saying the things you have in this thread about Joe Gibbs. Shame on you for your lack of faith and shame on you for not having faith in the greatest coach there is. Tragedy in the making, lol, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a QB sitting for the first few years. In fact, it usually works better that way. Have some patience, you of all people should know that Joe knows what he's doing and will get it done. Joe Gibbs is not a loser. He wins at everything he ever does and this will not be different. Have some faith, man.

What are you - a Giants fan? How can you possibly call Gibbs indicisive and cautious? Are you nuts? Gibbs took us farther in his second season than all of the coaches since he left (except for Norv's lucky season). This indicisive, cautious, defensive approach is the same one that yielded the 3 trophies that sit in the lobby in Ashburn - you need your head examined.

Archived