Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Man Is Charged $4,300 for Four Burgers

LarryBrownsFan

http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2006/03/28/355454.html&cvqh=twisted_burgers

By Associated Press

Tue Mar 28, 4:06 PMUPDATED 6 HOURS 19 MINUTES AGO

PALMDALE, Calif. - Four burgers at his neighborhood Burger King cost George Beane a whopping $4,334.33.

Beane ordered two Whopper Jr.s and two Rodeo cheeseburgers when he pulled up to the drive-through window last Tuesday. The cashier, however, forgot that she'd entered the $4.33 charge on his debit card and punched in the numbers again without erasing the original ones _ thus creating a four-figure bill.

The electronic charge went through to George and Pat Beane's Bank of America checking account and left the couple penniless. Their mortgage payment was due and they worried checks they had written would bounce, Pat Beane said.

What's the interest on $4,334.33 for three days? :doh:

That happened to me at Wendy's......the bill was $8.97 and she rang it thru for $89.97 and asked me to sign. Luckily I caught it. Would have been the most expensive taco salad and kid's meal I ever bought. The manager came over and voided it out and rerung it and as I was sitting there eating my dinner I heard the manager tell the girl to go on break and was talking trash about her the the entire time to the other employees

Not all point-of-sale systems are the same, but at Blockbuster we never needed a signature with a debit card purchase.

It should have been caught at the end of the night when the drawer didn't balance.

Unless the cashier pocketed the money.

It should have been caught at the end of the night when the drawer didn't balance.

Unless the cashier pocketed the money.

There'd be no way to pocket any money. Even if she took $4000 in cash to make up the difference, the bank deposit would be off in the morning.

There'd be no way to pocket any money. Even if she took $4000 in cash to make up the difference, the bank deposit would be off in the morning.

No, not if the totals balanced.

If your Credit Cards are over $4000, you can short the cash by $4000... and the total remains the same. (cash + check + cc)

This is a fairly common occurence among most retailers... cashiers routinely make mistakes entering tender types, and travelers checks are often tendered as cash but deposited as checks, causing similar discrepancies (that still balance)

Like I said... that is the only way this wouldn't have been caught when the drawer was counted. Otherwise, the totals would have been over $4000.

I seriously doubt that ANY fast food cash register has anywhere near 4500.00 in it. If they did there would be a line of criminals waiting to rob fast food joints.

No, not if the totals balanced.

If your Credit Cards are over $4000, you can short the cash by $4000... and the total remains the same. (cash + check + cc)

This is a fairly common occurence among most retailers... cashiers routinely make mistakes entering tender types, and travelers checks are often tendered as cash but deposited as checks, causing similar discrepancies (that still balance)

Like I said... that is the only way this wouldn't have been caught when the drawer was counted. Otherwise, the totals would have been over $4000.

Alright, well speaking from my experience at Blockbuster and at my mom's knitting shop, each form of payment is totalled separately at the end of the night. I don't see why you'd do it any other way.

There is no chance a Burger King drawer has $4000 in it at any one time.

They might very well have it in petty cash though... which would implicate a manager/keyholder, not a cashier.

But your point remains... and my original point as well.

It should have been caught that night.

I call BS somewhere on this entire thing.

I seriously doubt that ANY fast food cash register has anywhere near 4500.00 in it. If they did there would be a line of criminals waiting to rob fast food joints.

Well you'd take it out of the safe at the end of the night, not directly out of the drawer.

Alright, well speaking from my experience at Blockbuster and at my mom's knitting shop, each form of payment is totalled separately at the end of the night. I don't see why you'd do it any other way.

For many reasons...

-cashier error (incorrect tender type inputed to POS)

-travelers checks (tendered as cash, deposited as checks)

-Cash back from debit cards (sale tendered as credit, but cash given out of register, causes tender types to show discrepancies but totals remain correct. Many POS systems can handle this, many cannot)

They might very well have it in petty cash though... which would implicate a manager/keyholder, not a cashier.

But your point remains... and my original point as well.

It should have been caught that night.

I call BS somewhere on this entire thing.

Burger King employee: Oh crap, im off by $4000.

BK manager: Thats gotta be a mistake, we didnt even bring in 4 grand today.

employee: Its freakin' 1 am, im outta here.

manager: Yeah, its gotta be a mistake in the books, ill let the day manager worry about it.

Burger King employee: Oh crap, im off by $4000.

BK manager: Thats gotta be a mistake, we didnt even bring in 4 grand today.

employee: Its freakin' 1 am, im outta here.

manager: Yeah, its gotta be a mistake in the books, ill let the day manager worry about it.

But they would have deposited that overage that night... in which case the auditor would have visibility to it the very next day after the location is polled. (which I'm sure BK corp has)

Again... UNLESS they pocketed the money.

But they would have deposited that overage that night... in which case the auditor would have visibility to it the very next day after the location is polled. (which I'm sure BK corp has)

Again... UNLESS they pocketed the money.

It was just a simple mistake. BK corrected it as soon as they could.

I found this interesting:

Burger King did not charge the Beanes for their meal, and the couple got their $4,334.33 back on Friday.

I realize you probably can't do anything legally due to the fact that he signed, but you'd think the fact that the meal would be free would go without question, and maybe a little money to cover any checks that bounced. It's not like Burger King is some mom and pop shop, they can afford it. Its not really good press either.

Yes, he should have caught notice of it before hand, but seeing as its a fast food restaurant he could have been in a rush and not even paid any attention.

I call BS.....debit cards usually have a max single transaction limit (usually less than $2,000) along with a max daily transaction limit. I'd like to know what kind of account let him run a debit for that much.

I agree...especially Bank of America debit cards. I believe its $300. I tried to buy a computer from CostCo, and it wouldn't go through because it was over that limit. Good catch, BDShoo.

:bsflag:

I agree...especially Bank of America debit cards. I believe its $300. I tried to buy a computer from CostCo, and it wouldn't go through because it was over that limit. Good catch, BDShoo.maybe the guy has a card that has a limit over $1000

:bsflag:

Archived