Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Appreciate Brunell... because this might be the last year you can

FightForOldDC21

Food for thought. An interesting statistic:

Mark Rypien - 1991 - (Super Bowl MVP + NFL Offensive POY Winner + PRO-BOWL)

| Passing | | Rushing |

------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------

| 1991 WAS | 16 | 249 421 59.1 3564 8.5 28 11 | 15 6 1 |

Mark Brunell - 2005 -

| Passing | | Rushing |

------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------

| 2005 WAS |16 | 262 454 57.7 3050 6.7 23 10 | 42 111 0 |

Pretty comparable numbers, wouldn't you say.

How much better will Brunell be now? The sky's the limit.

Very interesting numbers, nice work .:applause: You are definitely on to something here, Rypien clearly had a lot more weapons to work with than Brunell did last year, but this year will be a different story. I don't get all the MB detractors, a healthy Brunell = an effective QB, he's shown it in the past so many times so give him the benefit of the doubt until it's proven that he can't perform. Last year in the playoffs I got so tired of all the attention our offense got as being "dreadful", you can't judge an offensive unit on one or two games and now it seems some of the fans on this site have jumped on that same bandwagon, I just don't see it that way. I look at the fact that we had to fight our balls off just to make the playoffs, by the end of the year we had a knicked up QB, Portis was certainly in need of a rest and the defenses were able to take advantage of this fact. If you look at how the offense performed for most of the season it is pretty clear that they did quite well, much improved from the year before. This seasons additions to the offense are going to bring it to a whole different level.:D

I just hope Brunell can stay healthy. I have high hopes for Jason Campbell but lets be honest. He hasnt played! We really dont know if he's the real deal or not. We're in a tough spot. Brunell is the best QB to win now, but we have to prepare for our future too. Look for Campbell to get a lot of work if we're up big on anyone this year.

Mark Brunell cost us the playoffs, he was injured and everyone knew it. I don't know why he couldn't just tell Coach Gibbs, that he is not 100% and Ramsey should have played. He rushed his self back. I hope Brunell gets injured and Campbell can get the job. I tried of people loving this guy, just last year everyone is hating him and now everyone changes there mind and love him. He's too old and needs to pack it up.

the good thing about having brunell on the team and him still being productive is that we dont have to rush jason into the fire. he can take as much time as he needs since we are still going to have a very good QB out there. i know a lot of people want to see jason on the field but i dont think many people will be mad if brunell is in instead

With a healthy Mark Brunell at QB and all the weapons we've added to our offense (WRs, Oline Depth, Al Saunders), our offense is going to explode next season. I'm in no hurry to see Jason Campbell take over, because I have faith in Brunell.

And if you don't have faith, well .... look at this video and see if it'll change your mind:

http://www.youtube.com/player.swf?video_id=zCxHU5smbgI

I appreciate Mark, I love Mark, but I refuse to engage in myth making, so I'll be a grinch even while praising Mark. Great arm when healthy, great legs and a great runner, very underrated, but please stop saying he doesn't make mistakes.

He makes a lot of mistakes.

2004. Brunell: 10 interceptions 11 fumbles 6 fumbles lost

Ramsey: 11 interceptions 6 fumbles 1 fumble lost

He played a little more than Ramsey, not enough to account for the difference.

Brunell was touted as a guy who didn't make mistakes

Ramsey was touted as an interception machine

Neither were/are true Let's be accurate in our praise and condemnation.

I truly believe that mark brunell will have an amazing season this year. Jason Campbell will get at least 3 regular season games where he comes in as a cleanup role because we will have some massive leads this season... (texans, titans, saints?, rams?).... so Campbell will get some playing time, albeit not quality playing time, but he will get some snaps.

But my concern is that after this season, Brunell and Collins will be old, Bramlet looks like a #3, but we dont seem to have a young #2 for the future.

But for now... brunell will look something like this...

MARK BRUNELL 2006 STATS Predictions:

TD: 28-30

Rushing yds: 85-100

Passing yds: 3500-3600

Ints: 10-12

Fumbles: 5

This is not counting the playoffs. These are my predictions... what do you guys think?

because this might be the last year you can

Mark Brunell has had his ups and downs as a skin... and this year could be his last skin tenure... now people are saying why not start campbell he is the future... well heres why we should start Brunell: hes healthy and when hes healthy hes the most accurate QB the skins have had in a long time... and has a perfect timing with moss and probably will with twan and lloyd... he can carry our team has a vet and just a plain good guy... hes not on of those characters who needs attentions, hes a team player who doesnt try to get all the media attention... Brunell will have a good year this year and im not afraid to admit it because i have faith in him... i do in Jason but this year its Mark and we will be back in the playoffs and i know joe and mark will go out on top

In memory of my fedex field brother who was there when Novak hit that field goal and all the rest of the games of the season... SOD i love u man EDIT: hes not dead just might not be able to sit with me anymore

I agree. Brunell should have his best year.

I gotta tell ya that when Mark scrambles and gets first down it always puts a smile on my face. There were times last year that he could have been crushed but took a chance and ran for a first down. We all know he used to be the more mobile running style (not as much as the new blood out there). The man wants to win and even though things don't always turn out, he gets in the mix. I defenitly think that he can lead us to the playoffs again. And who knows with defense backing up solid offense there might be a big suprise for those still sleeping on this team.

:logo:

You know, you watch a young QB develop, you go with him through the ups and downs, you win games, you lose games, and then suddenly they are the grizzled vet getting by on guts and instincts.

Of course, we've had none of that experience with Brunell who came here two years ago, stunk for a season, played darn well for about 8 games, and then went in the tank again.

I really have no emotional investment in him whatsoever.

But for now... brunell will look something like this...

MARK BRUNELL 2006 STATS Predictions:

TD: 28-30

Rushing yds: 85-100

Passing yds: 3500-3600

Ints: 10-12

Fumbles: 5

This is not counting the playoffs. These are my predictions... what do you guys think?

I think you are crazy. That would be Brunell's second best season EVER as a pro in terms of yardage and his best season ever BY FAR in terms of touchdowns.

And he is a former all-pro.

Basically, you are predicting a Peyton Manning-esq season out of an injury-prone 36-year old.

I can only think of two older QBs in history who have had seasons like that. Gannon in 2002 and Cunningham in 1998.

I think you are crazy. That would be Brunell's second best season EVER as a pro in terms of yardage and his best season ever BY FAR in terms of touchdowns.

But, looking at his stats from last year, that isn't much greater than what he did last year. 5-7 more touchdowns, and only 500 more receiving yards. Considering what we were lacking as far as receivers last year, it isn't unrealistic.

Considering that we have about as many weapons on offense as Peyton has, why can't we expect something close to that?

Jason

But, looking at his stats from last year, that isn't much greater than what he did last year. 5-7 more touchdowns, and only 500 more receiving yards. Considering what we were lacking as far as receivers last year, it isn't unrealistic.

Considering that we have about as many weapons on offense as Peyton has, why can't we expect something close to that?

Jason

Because we honestly don't know what we have on offense. Clinton Portis is a great running back. This we know.

Santana Moss is a great wide receiver.

And Chris Cooley is really good at whatever it is he does.

Aside from that, Brandon Lloyd has a lot of potential and a budding rap career, and Randle El caught 35 passes as a #2 receiver.

Manning meanwhile is not only a better QB than Brunell ever was on his best day is 7 years younger, has a hall of fame receiver, the best #2 receiver in football, a really good slot guy, plays inside on turf, and used to have a RB who is probably better than Portis.

So, yea...it is a lot to expect that a 36-year-old is suddenly going to become Peyton Manning.

Aside from that' date=' Brandon Lloyd has a lot of potential and a budding rap career, and Randle El caught 35 passes as a #2 receiver.[/quote']

Which is true, but you'd have to think that whatever they bring, it will be an improvement over last year, where once Patton went down, we had nothing behind him.

So, yea...it is a lot to expect that a 36-year-old is suddenly going to become Peyton Manning.

How about like Steve Deberg?

1990 (36 years old) 58.1% 3444 Yards 23 TDs 4 Ints.

Or Rich Gannon?

2002 (36 years old) 67.6% 4689 Yards 26 TDs 11 Ints.

So it isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Jason

With Brunell ... the sleep will turn into a a nightmare ... get a grip Matt ... if Mark's totering runs on 3rd down bring a smile to your face ... wait until you experience Jason Campbell running the ball ... you will need a neck brace.

I feel you man, I beleive JC will be the future and lead the team. I just wanted to praise Mark for sticking with it even though his legs aren't as fast as they used to be. Compare his mobility from Jacksonville to here and every time he scrambles and it feel like a roll of the dice. When he pulls it of I usually think "did he just do that?" and go get another beer at commercial.

:cheers:

Archived