Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Appreciate Brunell... because this might be the last year you can

FightForOldDC21

because this might be the last year you can

Mark Brunell has had his ups and downs as a skin... and this year could be his last skin tenure... now people are saying why not start campbell he is the future... well heres why we should start Brunell: hes healthy and when hes healthy hes the most accurate QB the skins have had in a long time... and has a perfect timing with moss and probably will with twan and lloyd... he can carry our team has a vet and just a plain good guy... hes not on of those characters who needs attentions, hes a team player who doesnt try to get all the media attention... Brunell will have a good year this year and im not afraid to admit it because i have faith in him... i do in Jason but this year its Mark and we will be back in the playoffs and i know joe and mark will go out on top

In memory of my fedex field brother who was there when Novak hit that field goal and all the rest of the games of the season... SOD i love u man EDIT: hes not dead just might not be able to sit with me anymore

good post. he is definitely a huge team guy and always has been. he has been a great mentor for jason campbell and this is probably his last hurrah this season since he is getting up there in age. i dont think people realize just how much he has meant to the skins

I agree. Gibbs understands that turnovers are probably the most important stat in deciding who wins games and Brunell makes good decisions. He is one of the smarter QB's in football and as long as he is healthy, he is one the best in the NFC. This is Brunell's year and JC can step in next year.

Before the Giants game, the point at which defenses finally started to really key on Moss, Brunell's numbers were 116/198 (58.5%), 1492 yards (248.6 per game), 12 TD, 2 INT, and a QB rating of 98.3.

So, before he was injured and before teams realized Patten was not a threat, Brunell was playing at an incredible level. Now, we have that second receiving threat again, and I would expect Brunell to play at the same level he did for the first six games.

Before the Giants game, the point at which defenses finally started to really key on Moss, Brunell's numbers were 116/198 (58.5%), 1492 yards (248.6 per game), 12 TD, 2 INT, and a QB rating of 98.3.

So, before he was injured and before teams realized Patten was not a threat, Brunell was playing at an incredible level. Now, we have that second receiving threat again, and I would expect Brunell to play at the same level he did for the first six games.

To echo this sentiment, how bad was Brunell in the Arizona game? That was, by far, his worst game of the season and was not characteristic of his season in general, yet it tips his stats. Mark will make the smart reads and throws and gives this team the best chance to win. He's not as mobile as he once was, but still knows when to take off and can get us some positive yards. In Joe, I trust and hence, in Mark I trust...

:logo:

because this might be the last year you can

Mark Brunell has had his ups and downs as a skin... and this year could be his last skin tenure... now people are saying why not start campbell he is the future... well heres why we should start Brunell: hes healthy and when hes healthy hes the most accurate QB the skins have had in a long time... and has a perfect timing with moss and probably will with twan and lloyd... he can carry our team has a vet and just a plain good guy... hes not on of those characters who needs attentions, hes a team player who doesnt try to get all the media attention... Brunell will have a good year this year and im not afraid to admit it because i have faith in him... i do in Jason but this year its Mark and we will be back in the playoffs and i know joe and mark will go out on top

In memory of my fedex field brother who was there when Novak hit that field goal and all the rest of the games of the season... SOD i love u man EDIT: hes not dead just might not be able to sit with me anymore

I completely agree. Mark's a great guy and I will miss him after this year (or perhaps sooner). I'm looking forward to Jason taking over as much as the next Skins fan, but I think it would be wise to squeeze one more productive year out of Brunell if possible.

Everyone at Redskins Park knows that Campbell will be the starter no later than September 07.

Food for thought. An interesting statistic:

Mark Rypien - 1991 - (Super Bowl MVP + NFL Offensive POY Winner + PRO-BOWL)

| Passing | | Rushing |

------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------

| 1991 WAS | 16 | 249 421 59.1 3564 8.5 28 11 | 15 6 1 |

Mark Brunell - 2005 -

| Passing | | Rushing |

------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------

| 2005 WAS | 16 | 262 454 57.7 3050 6.7 23 10 | 42 111 0 |

Pretty comparable numbers, wouldn't you say.

Now, let's look at who they had surrounding them.

Rypien:

* Had Ernest Byner and Ricky Ervins - Ernest had 1000+ yds, Ricky had 700.

* Offensive Line - the Hogs - allowed only nine sacks all season.

* Had 2 1000+ yard clutch receivers in Gary Clark and Art Monk and a solid #3 in Ricky Sanders - some of the best of all time.

Brunell:

* Had Clinton Portis - a great runner, no doubt

* Offensive Line - the offense went downhill when Randy Thomas fell, etc.

* Had Santana Moss, a great receiver, Chris Cooley an H-Back, and..that's it folks. (unless we have to count Taylor Jacobs, who did more harm than good)

Now salivate at the thought that the Redskins now have Brandon Lloyd, a 1000+ yard receiver, Santana Moss - the second best receiver in the league last year, Antwaan Randle-El - a playmaking returner and wide receiver, and a healthy and motivated David Patten.

How much better will Brunell be now? The sky's the limit.

Regards,

Stephen Hodge

So, before he was injured and before teams realized Patten was not a threat

More like, when Patton got hurt.

I wouldn't yet call this his last year. Wait until this season resolves itself before you say such things. Hell, most of us thought he was done last year, and he proved us wrong.

Jason

i think that with more receivers to throw to and more depth on the o line, he will be more protected and healthy

Depth at o-line? I wouldnt consider Pucilio and Walter any better than who we had as backups last year, but thats just my opinion. But I think Brunell will have another excellent year in '06, as long as we stay healthy at 0-line.

Yeah I agree I think this year is mark brunells job. I still think campbell is atleast 1 year away still. Brunell I think is gonna carry us 2 playoffs again this year. Hopefully though he can stay healthy all season long. Other then that I think RE and Lloyd are gonna help mark out in the offense a lot this season and open more of the passin game.

I don't buy the thought that Campbell is just on year away ... if he does not get any game experience this year ... it will be 2008 before he truly becomes effective. That is a pretty lousy return on such an expensive investment. Campbell must be prepped to start this year. With Todd Collins in tow, I don't even see much of a backup role for Brunell ... I'd rather have a younger QB like Bramlett in that job. The temptation will be strong for Gibbs to keep Brunell, but Saunders might see things differently ... Let's hope so ...

Archived