Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1991 Washington Redskins team are ranked #4...

dcsmooth

The 1991 Washington Redskins team are ranked #4 as the best team of all time. See my sig for confirmation!

The 2006 Washington Redskins team ought to give the 1991 team a run for their money. What are your thoughts?

There are some close similarities between the two teams offensively/defensively. When you think about the positions on both sides of the ball you began to see the resemblance.

Without going through the entire offense/defense, lets just take a look at the offense. From the QB, to the wide receivers, tight ends, running backs and offensive line...it all show similarities. A veteran QB, a few good (small) receivers, a tight end who can block and catch, a sturdy running back who can pound the ball when called upon and a solid offensive line that can pass block and open up holes.

Now, we all know that Gibbs normally want a bigger running back but I think Portis has won him over and has proved himself to Gibbs. What are your thoughts?

I agree... the only 2 real diffrences i could think of would be- Moss/and whoever else is gonna emerge (lloyd/randal el/patten thrash etc...) is not quite in the same boat (yet) as monk/clark/sanders. AND, HERES the BIGGIE....J.Hall (hes gotta go!!) I will defiantely have to give this one to the "Chipper"

That website is wrong. The 45-0 shut-out was against the Lions, not the Donkeys. And the 1996 Packers? That's not even the greatest Packer team of all time (66 Pack was better). I would argue that the 78 Steelers were better than the 79 Steelers...but I guess that's just me. Or maybe its because they beat the Cowturds in the Superbowl...:D

As far as the 06 Skins giving the 91 Skins a run for their money? Slow down, hoss...we've got a ways to go! That 91 team was extremely dominant...don't know if we'll see domination like that again in the NFL, as it gets more and more competitive every year. :2cents:

What's this Bears love? I know that was a great team, but the best team of all time? That's crap. If that team was so magical, why the hell did they win only 1 Super Bowl. There was no FA back then, so keeping a team together was much easier. I would take teams that trully dominated a stretch of time longer than one year and pick the best team out of that. Your guys 1991 squad was part of a franchise that won 3 SB's under Gibbs in a relatively short period of time. The 71 Cowboys were a squad that went on to be huge in the 70's, as was that Steelers team. The 1989 '49ers, well the '9ers were the team of the 80's, and now youve got this crap. **** Chicago

That 1991 team was very solid and had a lot of veterans with a lot of play off experience. Also there were a number of players on that team who had been on the 1987 team that also won the Super Bowl. I do think these current Redskins would be able to hang with them, but not beat them.

That O line was so consistent, what 9 sacks, thats incredible. We ha a lot of heart and leadership on that team. It was a magical year. I look back at that season sometimes can't believe how good we were. We have never got the credit we deserve for that season. I put that team up against any of the great teams in football history

What's this Bears love? I know that was a great team, but the best team of all time? That's crap. If that team was so magical, why the hell did they win only 1 Super Bowl. There was no FA back then, so keeping a team together was much easier. I would take teams that trully dominated a stretch of time longer than one year and pick the best team out of that. Your guys 1991 squad was part of a franchise that won 3 SB's under Gibbs in a relatively short period of time. The 71 Cowboys were a squad that went on to be huge in the 70's, as was that Steelers team. The 1989 '49ers, well the '9ers were the team of the 80's, and now youve got this crap. **** Chicago

Good points, but I think the list is for single season teams. If the most dominant team in a given year is the criteria, the 1985 Bears probably should be #1. At least for the "modern" age of pro football. They had the most feared defense perhaps ever, they had a very underrated offense that I believe led the league in scoring. Also remember they had the "Super Bowl Shuffle" music video BEFORE the regular season was even finished. I think the 85 Bears had a cultural impact (watch VH1's 1985 show and you'll see the Bears mentioned) that no other NFL team has had in at least 25 to 30 years if not more.

I agree, that they may not be the best team of all-time, but given their dominance in 1985 and crossover appeal, I understand why they're ranked #1.

The 2006 Washington Redskins team ought to give the 1991 team a run for their money. What are your thoughts?

the 91 team would crush the 06 team no doubt. In 91 they gave up like 6 sacks all year! And with the pass rush that didn't come on until the end of the year, there is no way Rypien would have been touched. Besides, in 91 they cruised and won the super bowl, the 06 team was up and down all year. While they are similair in a way (if you constantly wear burgandy and gold glasses), the 91 team was so so much better.

They are ranked the greatest team of all time, not the greatest dynasty of all time, it only matters how good they were for 1 season, not 10. Also, Buddy Ryan left right after that year (85) to go to philly, so the D declined from there and Ditka was never really that good of a coach, he just got lucky having Ryan's 46 defense on the other side of the ball.

That website is wrong. The 45-0 shut-out was against the Lions, not the Donkeys. And the 1996 Packers? That's not even the greatest Packer team of all time (66 Pack was better). I would argue that the 78 Steelers were better than the 79 Steelers...but I guess that's just me. Or maybe its because they beat the Cowturds in the Superbowl...:D

As far as the 06 Skins giving the 91 Skins a run for their money? Slow down, hoss...we've got a ways to go! That 91 team was extremely dominant...don't know if we'll see domination like that again in the NFL, as it gets more and more competitive every year. :2cents:

Nice catch, rockster. I'm quoting you, because you're spot on.

If you go back and look at the stats from that season, you'll see that the Skins led the league in a bunch of categories, and were top 5 in almost every category(Offense and Defense).

That team was amazingly dominant. If our backups had played a little better in the last game, we would have been 15-1 and sitting with the 85 Bears. I think it's the record that everyone remembers most.

Actually, imo, the 1983 team that lost the Super Bowl may have been the best team we ever had. They lost two games all year, I believe both on Monday night by a total of 2 points (Dallas and Green Bay (I think)) They had a turnover ration of something like +43. The 91 Skins were an offensive powerhouse, but that 83 team would give them a run for their money.

Yep 2 points.... I was living in LA that year and watched the SB game with a bunch of Raider fans... was still to this day the worst football day of my life.

That 83 team was amazing.... I still hate Marcus Allen...lol

Actually, imo, the 1983 team that lost the Super Bowl may have been the best team we ever had. They lost two games all year, I believe both on Monday night by a total of 2 points (Dallas and Green Bay (I think)) They had a turnover ration of something like +43. The 91 Skins were an offensive powerhouse, but that 83 team would give them a run for their money.

Archived