Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

June 1st Cuts?

D'Pablo

When June rolls around, I can't think of a single player we'll be cutting. Our depth isn't all that great... which means that if we cut someone, his position automatically becomes a position of need. Off the top of my head, I can only think of either Patten or Jacobs. Anyone else care to guess who's expendable?

I actually think Patten will feed off the other receivers, and have a pretty good year. I hope the other teams forget about him, cause if they do, he could really help our offense. As for Jacobs, I can't see him making the cut unless they want him for special teams. If he suvives June 1st, he would need to have a great training camp and pre-season.

There's a Big difference between a free agent that wants to test the market and cutting him. - Hopefully we can re-sign Evans.

Wynn is one of those universal players that I'm sure we would only cut as a last resort, which right now doesn't seem like an issue. - I can't believe how many people have the impression that Wynn is useless.:doh:

I think Taylor Jacobs will be a training camp cut. - June 1st cuts are usually done for cap relief. - I can't think of anyone we have like that.

Maybe NEMO, unfortunately if we carry an extra WR. I hope not though.

we carried 5 WR's and 4 RB's last year, so I don't see why it would be an issue this year.

Renaldo Wynn is gone, his presence wont be missed. He didnt get a sack until week 15 against the cowboys. He wont be missed by me.

His presence would be missed quite a bit. It is his productivity that would be overlooked. Wynn is a good leader and lockerroom guy.

I'd have to agree about the one accidental sack though....

I might be wrong but with the new CBA i think a team can designate a max of 2 players that are their so called "june cuts" and release them now so they can hit the market early and their cap hit is spread over 2 seasons.

so if this is true then this thread is meaningless and the redskins would have cut somebody by now if they needed to spread a cap hit over a 2 yr period. i think any additioanl cuts from now on will be solely because the player's playing ability and nothing to do with the salary cap.

I might be wrong but with the new CBA i think a team can designate a max of 2 players that are their so called "june cuts" and release them now so they can hit the market early and their cap hit is spread over 2 seasons.

Your exactly right, teams can cut a player right now and it would still be accounted for as a June 1st cut. It helps the team as well as the player, the player can look for work while teams still have money to spend, rather than wating till June when the money is gone.

Wynn is not going anywhere!!!!!

4 reasons

1. He is a very solid player, he can play outside or inside on the D-Line.

2. GW loves versatile defensive lineman

3. Gibbs loves him

4. The best reason of them all, I like him...:D

A stat book does not tell the story on every football player:point2sky

Your exactly right, teams can cut a player right now and it would still be accounted for as a June 1st cut. It helps the team as well as the player, the player can look for work while teams still have money to spend, rather than wating till June when the money is gone.

Wynn is not going anywhere!!!!!

4 reasons

1. He is a very solid player, he can play outside or inside on the D-Line.

2. GW loves versatile defensive lineman

3. Gibbs loves him

4. The best reason of them all, I like him...:D

A stat book does not tell the story on every football player:point2sky

absolutely correct on all accounts..

plus, wynn was one of those guys that the front office went to and asked to restructure to help the team get under the cap. he agreed. (unlike lavar, supposedly). my point is that i do not think they would have done so if they anticipated cutting him.. i could see him going on PUP if he is not ready, but otherwise, he is on the team this coming year.

Wynn counts 3.028 this year and 4.028 next year, per warpath #'s. i believe he was one of the players who restructured so this may have changed. It would cost us 3.057 mill to cut him this year, but only 1.528 next year. this would result in a savings of 2.5 mill. Wynn definetly won't be cut this year, but it sounds more and more likely that he will be cut next offseason.

When June rolls around' date=' I can't think of a single player we'll be cutting. Our depth isn't all that great... which means that if we cut someone, his position automatically becomes a position of need. Off the top of my head, I can only think of either Patten or Jacobs. Anyone else care to guess who's expendable?[/quote']

I can see Taylor Jacobs being cut easily...not David Patten though. I dont want David Patten to leave anyway.

I can see Taylor Jacobs being cut easily...not David Patten though. I dont want David Patten to leave anyway.

I am of the camp that thinks Jacobs will be here next year. My reasons are 1, we save nothing by cutting him, cap wise( 110K - his replacements salary=we lose). second, he is a good ST. third is our new offense. we will be running a lot more three WR sets, so it is reasonable to think that we will have 6 WR's. i am not defending jacobs, only why i think he'll still be here. i also think he will be released NEXT offseason, to save us 600K.

I am of the camp that thinks Jacobs will be here next year. My reasons are 1, we save nothing by cutting him, cap wise( 110K - his replacements salary=we lose). second, he is a good ST. third is our new offense. we will be running a lot more three WR sets, so it is reasonable to think that we will have 6 WR's. i am not defending jacobs, only why i think he'll still be here. i also think he will be released NEXT offseason, to save us 600K.

Good point.:cheers:

Even if we only plan to carry 3 RBs in 2007, Nemo will be here until the last cuts. He is at least the 4th best RB on the roster and I don't think we'll find anybody better. He's the best 4 RB contributor available to TC, he would allow us to move Betts or Cartwright if an opportunity presents itself and he'd protect us if either one of those is injured.

As far as WR, unless we bring in others or an opportunity presents itself, 1 WR will be cut before TC. If Wynn goes before TC, we'd need 2-3 new DEs for TC.

Before someone say TC fodder, let us remember that both Bostic and Jacoby were fodder. In any case, you want the best fodder you can find.

Archived