Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Draft 06' Skins 2nd Rd Pick:

RWJ

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=9329

Gabriel Watson

DT | (6'3", 339, 5.28) | MICHIGAN

Scouts Grade: 90

Strengths: He is a massive two-gap NT/DT prospect that can be absolutely dominant in spurts. Plays with good leverage when fresh and has proven capable of gobbling up two blockers in those instances. He clogs gaps and seals off the inside run, forcing RB's to bounce a lot of runs to the outside. He protects his LB's well and allows them to roam. He shows the lower body strength and overall mass to overpower offensive linemen at the POA. He will show some surprising quickness when he is fresh. Also, while he doesn't have great speed or athleticism as a pass rusher, he does collapse the pocket when fresh. He is a one-dimensional pass rusher but he shows the initial burst, power and size and drive the OC back into his QB. He has been extremely durable and he is a high-character person with no off-the-field baggage.

Weaknesses: Production is entirely too inconsistent. Lacks conditioning and stamina. Has a tendency to wear down quickly. When that's the case, he comes out of his stance too high, loses his leverage and becomes much less effective. His weight will need to be consistently monitored in the NFL and he will need coaches to stay on him regarding his conditioning. He seems to lack ideal natural instincts at times. Not a great pass rusher. Does not show the burst through the LOS or the closing speed to make a huge impact in that facet at the NFL level. May never be more than a two-down player.

Overall: Watson appeared in eight games as a reserve DT during his true freshman season in 2002 and he appeared in all 13 games as a backup DT during his sophomore season in 2003. As a junior in 2004, Watson took over as a fulltime starter at NT in the team's new 3-4 alignment and he finished with 37 total tackles, seven TFL and two sacks. He was named All-Big Ten first team by the coaches and All-Big Ten second team by the media in 2004. Watson played in all 12 games and started eight as a senior in 2005 and finished with 40 tackles, 6.5 TFL and two sacks. Watson is a massive DT/NT prospect with an outstanding combination of size, strength, quickness and athletic ability. He is a durable player and a high-character person. However, his inconsistent production and lack of stamina became maddening for Michigan coaches and led to Watson's benching for four games during his senior season. Watson seems to give a good effort when fresh and he can be absolutely dominant during those spurts. However, he tires easily and winds up taking entirely too many plays off throughout the course of a game. Because of the increased demand for a 3-4 nose tackle in the NFL combined with the insufficient supply that typically comes out of the college draft, a team could reach for Watson as early as the first round.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

I am going out on a limb here to say this, Gabe W. can play single gap better than any other DT in the draft. He is a high character person which Gibbs looks for in a player. We have little talent at the DT position and will be desperate if something were to happen to Griffin or Sala'. Therefore, I think if he is there with our 53rd pick, his name will be called by us. We have enough talent with our LB's now, IMO that Williams can make them do the job they have to do. Can you imagine a DT with Watson's abilities playing next to Griffin? It would be unreal! Watson would be asked to work alot less harder going against one OL rather than 2 the whole game and Williams would get the most out of him. With his character he is very coachable.

Doubt he falls to us....if he does you have to consider him, but I think our pick is best used elsewhere at LB, CB, OG, TE are much bigger needs than DT. Plus the guys is a lazy bumb who did jack all season for the Wolverines.

Lb Abdul Hodge.....stats

This is the LB that we can train up... and hopefully get to be a starter. GW would have a field day makin this guy an all pro. If he falls through... we better look at Nickel corner, or maybe another LB... but i cant think of many LB prospective starters that can go this late.. ideas?

*wow... my first post...*

Gabe Watson is a lazy ass. The only way is isnt gonna bust is if Bill Parcells, Nick Saban, Marvin Lewis, or Tom Coughlin is his coach and screams his ass off to get Gabe Watson of his ass...Otherwise, he has the potiential to be a great, all around, defensive lineman in this league

We need...

Richard Marshall

Dominque Byrd

Roger McIntosh

Johnathon Joseph

One of them...

Gabe Watson is probably the guy I want most from this draft. That guy DOMINATED the practices at the Senior Bowl (just as much as D'Brickshaw)... Blache and Williams aren't going to let him be lazy. That's for sure.

I don't think he'll be there for the Skins in the 2nd round. If he is.... I pray we get him.

I see us trading up in the second to get a LB. Either MLB Dwell Jackson or OLB Thomas Howard from Utep depending on what Greg wants to do with Lemar. Recent draft history shows that LB's are the quickest transition to the pro's. Just look at the rookie of the year's for the past 5 years. Not to mention guys like Tatupu and Odel Thurman, both impact players taken in the 2nd round. The problem for us, after Thomas Howard and Dwell Jackson, there is a huge dropoff and we'd be reaching if we took a backer. We can fill a need and have a ligitimate starter.

Gabe Watson is probably the guy I want most from this draft. That guy DOMINATED the practices at the Senior Bowl (just as much as D'Brickshaw)... Blache and Williams aren't going to let him be lazy. That's for sure.

I don't think he'll be there for the Skins in the 2nd round. If he is.... I pray we get him.

It is nice to see I am not alone in my thinking. I just have a hunch that he might fall to us. Whether or not we get him is another thing, but if I am not wrong we did meet with him at the combine. Yes, he fits the 3-4, but when you can get someone with his talent and character on a team with a coach like Williams the skys the limit with him. Again, can you imagine him next to Griffin. No one would run up the middle on us and as fast and light as our LB's are we would crush alot of OFs in the running game.

Don't know if Gabe Watson will still be around at #53. They also don't really need immediate help on the D-line. Here is a list of possible candidates we could take with the 53rd pick (assuming we don't trade up and get a better one). I believe they will fill their LB and DB needs. With injuries to Rogers & Springs last year, it would be wise to bring in another DB. Though with the departure of Arrington, an OLB seems more probable.

DB - Kelly Jennings

If Jennings is around at this pick, in my opinion it would be a miracle. His stock is rising all the time in the draft, since he comes from the U (where he pretty much covered pro WR's). He has decent size (6'0 175) and is pretty speedy. If he bulks up a little he could end up being a solid NFL starter. Really like this kid.

DB - Johnathan Joseph

This guy is lightning fast running a 4.34 40yd dash at the combine. Did not play in 2004 due to a broken foot but came back in 2005 with a solid season. Has got good size (5'11 185) and is a natural athlete that challenges receivers down the field. With time and development can become a good DB in the NFL.

LB - Thomas Howard

We would love it if DeMeco Ryans or Chad Greenway fell this far, but I highly doubt that happening. Howard has the speed necessary to make the sideline-to-sideline plays. Is agressive and gets in the backfield in a hurry. Decent size (6'3 235) and very good speed make him a sure thing if he's around at #53.

LB - Bobby Carpenter

Carpenter played with A.J. Hawk at Ohio State so you know he knows what he's doing. Hawk could go as early as #5. Carpenter has a good mix of speed and strength. Though he will need to get stronger to be dominate in the NFL. Could be an immediate impact player.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :point2sky :cheers:

Archived