Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Redskins "Weakest" Position / Unit

Om

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We used to do these quick polls on a regular basis on the old portal page. Seems to me we can resume right here in the Stadium ... especially given the looooong offseason before us. :)

Question:

As of late March, 2006, what would you consider the Redskins weakest (area of biggest concern) unit/position?

Feel free to explain why, as well as what specifically you’d like to see the team do about it.

Hail.

Gotta go with the QB. Brunnell was good at the beginning of last year, but boy did he suck during the playoff games. Maybe it was our offense as a whole, but he sure seemed 'off' to me. I think JC will be good, just hoping he gets the go-ahead for this year. Start him now, keep him in and let him learn. We don't need another ramsey on our hands where the kid is stuck learning a new offense every year.

This was a tough choice. We have a great team with only a few light spots.

But I think we have some solid backup LBs that will step up to fill in for missing Lavar. We have a few to choose from, but you never know what will happen.

The kicking game concerns me, Hall couldn't kick the deep one when he came back, and Frost gave some short kicks at the most inopportune times last season. But I'm hoping with more rest Hall will be better, and I want to chalk Frost's short kicks up to rookie jitters.

The OL may be a bit thin at depth, but I'm hoping Buges can spot someone in the draft to address depth here.

The DL and the secondary may be a bit thin at depth, not too much though, but we have great quality in all of our starters and most of our backups too.

I went with QB only because we're about to be transitioning to a new QB at some point in the near future. I saw Brunell get tired at the end of the season. I hope to chalk that one up to not playing a full season in a few years. I kind of liken it to being a rookie and not being used to playing 16 (Actually 18 - Thank you Mark and team!) games, plus he got injured in the Giants game. That's when his production really seemed to drop off. Campbell is an unknown right now. Sometimes a young QB will take right off (ie. Brady, Rothlisberger), sometimes they lose their first several games but turn out good (ie. PEYTON Manning, Favre) or turn out to be a bust (ie. Leaf - nuff said). I'm thinking that the first set of QBs is because there wass a good team around them to help them out, which we have. So the transition to Campbell won't be that bad I'm hoping. But hey, you never know and I had to pick something.

I don't think we necessarily have a major weakness except as it relates to depth and unknowns. That's something that we face at nearly every position:

Going through your list M:

Receiver: Outstanding potential. Clearly. Until we see it working out on the field, I can't say that this is going to be the second coming of AM, GC and GS. Definitely not a weakness--much more of an unknown.

Offensive Line: Major questions of OL potential problems. Our current line is good and is only going to get better. Assuming Randy Thomas is fully recovered, this will be a strongpoint. But who are the backups? Are they any good. Unknown and potential weakness.

Tight End / H-back: We're solid here. No argument from me.

Quarterback: Some say weakness, some say unknown. Some say both, and some say neither. We've read it all. I won't rehash.

Running back: Good depth. I love the CP-LB-RC combination.

Defensive Line: Improving. I want to see a whole season of healthy JS and CF. Until then and until our new DE/OLB situation is squared away--this is somewhat of a weakness. But not bad.

Linebacker: Basically solid.

Secondary: After the starting four--who's left? PP? AJ? That's tough. Great starters--shabby backups. Until proven otherwise.

Special Teams / Kicking Game: I don't trust frost. I wouldn't trust him to punt a football in a clutch situation. However...he did manage to get GREAT bounces. Who knows what his second year will bring.

Guest santana4prez

Kicking game , Can Hall stay healthy and Frost improve?

QB is a concern b/c of Brunells injury history but not a weakness, I think as long as some LB dont go at his knee again Brunell will have a Pro Bowl Season.

OL depth. We saw last year how important solid depth is in the Seattle playoff game, with Raymer having to play guard. That obviously didn't work out to well.

Kicking game is a close second, but those positions are typically filled later in the free agency period or during draft.

I definitely think it is O line. This doesn't only hold up for the Redskins but pretty much every other NFL franchise as well. I would be willing to bet that if you took one unit and measured the number of missed starts that the highest number would fall on the O line. With the age of our line and the recent propensity for injuries and bad luck, we have to add a 5 tool guy or two. A guy who could play center or guard and a guy who could fill in at either tackle would be just as valuable as any stater. I would like us to sign a guy like Hank Fraley. He was hurt last year and I know the Eagles were looking at LeCharles Bentley to replace him. I don't know if that means they would get rid of him but if he does come available I think he could help us out. He is a local kid from Gaithersburg and I would love to see him as a rotational lineman. Him or someone who can give us depth.

I voted for Linebacker.

We are solid in 2 of the 3 positions with the starters, Marshall and Washington but all I see is unproven depth behind them (this does not mean it is bad depth, just that we have not seen those guys produce on the field).

Add to this the open Weakside position vacated with Arrington's departure with no heir apparent on the roster for 1st and 2nd down duty there and this group has to be suspect. McCune may or may not ever be more than a ST player, that remains to be seen, and Campbell did not impress me when he got in the game last year on short yardage situations. He always seemed to lose head to head battles with either the blockers or the ball carrier.

This becomes less of an issue if the D-Line plays lights out but we all saw what happened last year with poor WLB play and I worry about injuries to Marshall and Washington in the other positions.

I took the kicking game just because Hall can't stay healthy and the kid is inconsistent. But how does everyone really feel about secondary? The starters are good but I just am not brimming with confidence should they get hurt. And I'm not feeling great about our nickel and dime packages.

I think our WR corps is in trouble! I am worried about going into the season with guys like Santana Moss, ARE, and Brandon Lloyd. None of these guys are good and I am not sure our Pro-Bowl QB will have adequate targets to throw at. I am just very worried to say the least!!! :D

We scored 66 points in the next 2 games after Randy Thomas went down. It was injuries to Brunell and Portis that hurt us, particularly Portis.

Portis had a string of 5 games of 100+ yards, not coincidentally we won all 5. Then he gets limited playing time in the Tampa game from his injured shoulder, and suddenly our offense struggles.

Archived