Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What free agent Linebackers are still available?

ratbert_rizzo

Anyone know much about Nick Greisen from the Giants? I remember seeing him play in the games against us and he seemd pretty solid. Other than that, I have only found a few things about him on the internet. Nothing spectacular, but the kind of hard working assignment oriented guy this staff loves.

He's versatile (plays inside and out - which is a plus with our possible lack of depth), loves to play special teams, and is a good character guy by all accounts. .

I was thinking about him as well. If you look at his stats they are not too far off from Marshall's. I think he could fill in nicely at mlb.

screw jamie sharper, he's washed up.

I disagree about Sharper being washed up. This was the only season that he has had recently that could even be considered sub-par. That is only because he was injured for the first time in his career. He has been one of the most productive LBs in the league for the last five years, but he is not flashy so he does not get much pub.

If he has gotten over his staph infection and comes with a reasonable price, I would be thrilled if he comes to the Skins.

Winborn is still a FA. Holdman is a FA.

Sharper has been extremely productive, just it was with the Texans for 3 years so nobody saw him. He will only turn 32 during the season so if his knee is healthy he would probably be the best of what is available. Seau is over 35 and so was Barrow when we signed him. It's all about the health of his knee and maybe his willingness to take a 1 year deal.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4250

According to Redskins.com, we've got 7 lbs on the roster plus Holdman. If we do not make a FA move for WLB or use our #2 there, it means that our coaching staff feels the best option is already on the team. Since it seems we're not being very aggresive here, I suspect that the staff has either targeted a guy in the draft or feels the guy is already here and are only looking for depth.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/22/AR2006032202344.html

Gibbs said he also wanted to sign a weak-side linebacker to replace LaVar Arrington -- who despite paying back $4 million to test the market has not signed a free agent deal -- but has not moved quickly on that front. The team said Tuesday it has no interest in free agent Sam Cowart , and it is unclear if it has continued conversations with free agent linebackers Keith Adams or Nate Wayne . Representatives for both did not return phone calls yesterday.

I guess that means the starting OLB is not on the roster yet.

Nate Wayne couldn't make the opening day roster for the Jags last year and couldn't find a job til November so I think its safe to say he might be just about done.

Do we still have Holdman, because, honestly, our defense did just as good with him starting as it did with LaVar.

Are you serious??!!! It's not too late dude, you can take back that comment. If I remember correctly, we were getting torched on defense while Holdman was in the game, especially against Tiki Barber and the Giants. We truely need serious help @ that LB position. Sould we honestly consider Junior Seau?

I think Polley would be a good stopgap with potential to be a long-term replacement. He really came on in Baltimore as the season wore and especially after Ray got injured. He's still fairly young and would come relatively on the cheap. That way we can focus moreso on the best player available in the 2nd round...

I'm not too comfortable starting a rookie at WLB. I think playing Clemmons or one of our other backups from last year would be a better idea.

Seau??? Did someone seriously mention Seau's name? This guy is the biggest freelancer in the game. If Lavar wasn't disciplined enough to play in this defense there is no way in he## Junior can fit into this defense.

polley is out there. i also think chris claiborne is a decent lb. i would be interested in a guy like antwaan peek who played ina 3-4 but has good speed and could transition to a versatile 4-3 backer. Since this is the redskins i am surprised peter boulware's name hasn't already come up.

i owuld not be shocked to see clemons out there, though i think it is very homeriffic of people to be so high on him.

What has Chris Clemons ever done linebacker-wise? He can be a decent pass rusher but I don't remember him ever playing linebacker. I'm pretty sure we will sign some stopgap free agent before the draft though I wouldn't mind our 2nd rounder starting because Lofa Tatupu and Odell Thurman started as 2nd rounders are are absolute beasts. Channing Crowder went to the Dolphins in the 3rd round and looks to be an absolute stud as well.

I'm not too comfortable starting a rookie at WLB. I think playing Clemmons or one of our other backups from last year would be a better idea.

Seau??? Did someone seriously mention Seau's name? This guy is the biggest freelancer in the game. If Lavar wasn't disciplined enough to play in this defense there is no way in he## Junior can fit into this defense.

Given the fact that we now have Saunders as our OC indicating that we plan to jump on teams fast and we brought in Archeluta who is reputed to be a good tackler, look for 40 Nickel packages (probably with Shade fronts) which only use 2 LBs anyway (these forms were the forerunner of the Bear 46)

Watch out for him. He had a staph infection in his knee that never really got better -- that's why you never heard from him again after the first half of the season last year.

F That...ok so no Sharper...Ben Taylor could be a great option. I wonder if he will be too expensive though and maybe that is why we haven't talked to him? He put up really good numbers last year.

Guest santana4prez
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/22/AR2006032202344.html

Gibbs said he also wanted to sign a weak-side linebacker to replace LaVar Arrington -- who despite paying back $4 million to test the market has not signed a free agent deal -- but has not moved quickly on that front. The team said Tuesday it has no interest in free agent Sam Cowart , and it is unclear if it has continued conversations with free agent linebackers Keith Adams or Nate Wayne . Representatives for both did not return phone calls yesterday.

I guess that means the starting OLB is not on the roster yet.

Nate Wayne couldn't make the opening day roster for the Jags last year and couldn't find a job til November so I think its safe to say he might be just about done.

You took the words out of my mouth.:readnews:

I agree with Darth Tater: use the second round pick for a rookie LB. GW will work him in slowly depending upon down and distance situations. Then he will use lots of 3 safety and 2 CBs packages with 4 DL and 2 LBs.

If the rookie LB pick would play in the middle, then Marshall would go back outside. If the rookie LB is an OLB, then we play the same defense as last year.

:applause:

Any rumors going on about possible June 1st cuts?

I'm thinking a LB in the 2nd, and a veteran picked up at the late cut date could be our plan. I think we'll stick with Lemar at MLB. Three MLBs in 3 years is too much. Continuity there will help the D.

Archived