Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What free agent Linebackers are still available?

ratbert_rizzo

Other than LaVar of course.

I know we have some interest in Sam Cowart but I think we should go after Jamie Winborn. He can't stay healthy, but if he is healthy I think he would be a good stopgap at the very least until a younger guy is ready to step in.

Chris Clemons has showed that he can get to the QB some but I haven't acutally noticed him play LB so I don't trust that.

Robert McCune couldn't even make the opening day roster last year so that should say something. He is 27 now so he had better play now or never but I don't know if he played any snaps at LB last year.

Khary Campbell is a special teamer but then so was Antonio Pierce and Lemar Marshall but I doubt he should be a everydown LB.

So who else is out there as a free agent linebacker? We might just take our 2nd rounder and plug him in if somebody falls but we will probably need a stopgap until next year in my opinion from outside the current roster.

I suppose either Jamie Sharper or Junior Seau could be signed to 1 year deal to start for a season. Isn't Keith Adams more of a special teams guy even though he started last year for Philly?

Anyway I think Jamie Winborn would be a great stopgap considering what is left.

i think winborn already signed with the saints. aint 2 sure though. sam cowart is 2 old.

jaime sharper is all beat up lol. so if anything we should take a look at chad brown or

polley. or if we want a vet i say junior seau ..

Chad Brown played in Pitt with Kevin Greene the dude is probably as old as Seau.

I wouldn't be suprised if Jashon Sykes sneaks into the starting lineup. He has been a starter with Denver, is young, and from what I've heard, oozes potential. With Gregg Williams' history of turning no-name LB's into solid players, I expect Sykes to be the new project.

I think Keith Adams would fit in best of the current free agent linebackers. He's a hard worker and earned his way into the Eagles starting lineup after being a standout on special teams. If Clemons isn't yet ready for a full time role on defense, I think Adams would be a good choice.

Redskins | Team had some talks with N. Wayne

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:03:56 -0800

Howard Bryant, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins have had some talks with free agent LB Nate Wayne (Lions), but it is unclear if the team has continued the conversation.

I wouldn't be suprised if Jashon Sykes sneaks into the starting lineup. He has been a starter with Denver, is young, and from what I've heard, oozes potential. With Gregg Williams' history of turning no-name LB's into solid players, I expect Sykes to be the new project.

I think that Sykes could be a good player in our system as well. He has a lot of potential and has kind of flown below the radar.

As for the other 'backers available, I would go with Winborn, Sharper or Cowart. Winborn is a tremendous athlete and if he could stay healthy, he could be a tremendous player. Sharper is a hard-nosed player that has put up some very good numbers over the last five seasons. He was hurt last year, but that is the only time he has missed time in his career. Cowart would also be a good fit since he knows the system.

Many of the other guys like Seau and Chad Brown would be risky because of their age and/or injury history. I have always been a fan of Chad Brown, but he did not have a very good year last season for the Pats.

Do we still have Holdman, because, honestly, our defense did just as good with him starting as it did with LaVar.

Holdman was the Brunnell of the defense though. When he was in the line up it was like we were playing with 10 men and someone had to make up for him.

Redskins | Team had some talks with N. Wayne

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:03:56 -0800

Howard Bryant, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins have had some talks with free agent LB Nate Wayne(Lions), but it is unclear if the team has continued the conversation.

He's is more than decent LB'er, who should not have a hefty price tag!

Seau has lost speed over the years and is not nearly the same play maker that he once was. I don't think he would be a good addition. Holdman was not very consistent or reliable last year and he only had a 1 year deal. Seeing that there are no reports discussing the idea of us bringing him back, I would imagine that he is done from the organization's standpoint. Brown is too old as well.

Peter Boulware, Cato June (but he is a RFA), Tommy Polley, and Brandon Short may all be possibilities worth looking at.

Anyone know much about Nick Greisen from the Giants? I remember seeing him play in the games against us and he seemd pretty solid. Other than that, I have only found a few things about him on the internet. Nothing spectacular, but the kind of hard working assignment oriented guy this staff loves.

He's versatile (plays inside and out - which is a plus with our possible lack of depth), loves to play special teams, and is a good character guy by all accounts.

Supposedly GB and Tenn are looking at him right now to compete for their starting MLB spots.

Archived