Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are we getting in Stoutmire

Swilling56

Hi guys - Saints fan here from New Orleans. I've heard about Stoutmire before, but I don't really know much about him nor did I watch him play that much. Are we getting a starter here, or someone who will push for starter role, or great special teams player? Is he a hitter, a cover, a run stopped, pass rusher, etc.?

Thanks for the info. Just trying to feel out how our secondary is looking. I know stats wise it was not too bad last year, but that's because everyone had such an easy time running on us they didn't bother to pass that much.

He can pretty much fill in at any secondary position. I dont know how he will do in your system down in the N.O. though. Up here we play such a random system, that sometimes he was a safety and sometimes he was he played Nickel. But that was cuz Greg Williams would sometimes have up to 4 safeties in the game at a time. He is definitely a role player. He was more of a special teams player for us and was very good at it, but we definitely didnt lose a step when he had to come in an play safety. I think you all got a good player. I dont know if how good he will be if he starts every game, but he definitely is not a slouch.

Stoutmire is a good roleplayer. He fit in with the Redskins' scheme because the defense used a lot of rotation and varying packages. He was also a valuable special teamer. As a full-time starter, I would expect from Stoutmire about what his previous teams got from him: an average player. He won't be a glaring weakness, but he won't make a Pro Bowl either.

Omar played with the Giants for a time so I'll try to help. Omar has basicly always been a back up/Stop gap type player his whole time in the NFL. At this point he is really just a back up. I always found him to be better in coverage then he was given credit for, but he seems to be a bit of a liability in stoping the run. One thing I found odd I remember he was pretty good at blitzing the QB the few times I seen the Giants send him. Look at it this way Omar been in the leauge a long time he must be doing something right lol.

Stoutmire was a backup here. I don't think he really played enough for anyone to give a strong opinion on his abilities. I think he played a lot more in NY than he did here. I would say he's a decent player but def not a superstar. Would be a good backup, but nothing to jump up n down about.

MC

I thought he played great when called upon. He was one of the guys I wanted us to keep for depth on this team.

If you're looking for him to be a backup, you've got a great acquisition. If you're looking for a starter, it could be iffy. However, you never know, guys step up all the time so there's no reason to think he can't do it!

Wow another saints fan on this site...awesome :)

I have seen some of Stoutmire over the years and I think he will make a great backup safety for the Saints. He's a tough player who rarely makes mistakes, and can put some nice licks on guys in limited action. I'm very happy about it.

Stoutmire is a backup player at age 32. He is a ball hawk, a guy who in the past has been in on his share of fumble recoveries, tips and interceptions. But I don't see him being a regular starter again. Not after the bad knee injury he suffered in 2004.

Archived