Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heavyweight Title Fight on HBO now!

TradeTheBeal!

I turned it on just in time to hear Lampley, (sp) refer to Toney as a "tub of goo." Reminded me why I just tune him out and watch the fight. Man misses half the stuff in the ring as well. Tough fight. Toney takes no crap and has some power. Rahman is the bigger, more natural Heavyweight. Rahman has to keep his hands up and bring his hands back fast after punching. Rahman in a tough fight. Say 10 rounds or less.

It is at that. Rahman is too slow in getting his hands back in time and is slow enough to advertise some of his punches. Toney is veteran enough and still quick enough to take advantage of this. If Toney were some other bigger heavyweight, Rahman would be down by now.

Rahman won that fight without a doubt. Calling it a draw wasn't a travesty by any means but.....Rahman won the fight. More thrown, more landed, effective aggression, ring generalship, the whole nine yards. Better than average stuff for a heavyweight bout, though. i'd watch a rematch.

I think HBO's commentating may have had a great influence on people watching the fight. They were clearly lobbying for Rahman and gave him a little more credit than he deserved. It was a much closer fight than they let on, and the judges scored it pretty fairly. You can't really make a great case for Toney winning the fight, but it definitely could have been a draw as two judges scored it.

Rahman really fought Toney's fight for a lot of the fight. The ref really sucked tonight allowing Rahman to use his elbow, that's the only way he set up his right hand all night long.

Toney definitely was the more effective puncher, definitely had better effective aggression, and CLEARLY had better defense. Which pisses me off, I love both Rahman and Toney. I want so badly for Rahman to be a good fighter, and he looked as good as he could possibly look tonight boxingwise and he still sucked so bad defensively.

Most people look at the fight on who is the aggressor, who is more active. And that's a fair way to do it, but that's not the whole judging criteria. Judges can weigh on thing greater than another, but they're instructed to consider ring generalmanship, effective punching, effective aggression, and defense. They can choose to ignore that and just go with who they thought won the fight, they can do whatever they want, lol.

Toney was as sloppy as he's ever looked for a fight tonight and it hurt him some. That's part of his whole persona, "I look like this and I can still beat your ass". He's clearly the more skilled fighter between he and Rahman. The ref tonight was pretty awful, if he had done a better job. Toney might have even won the fight. As it was, it was scored a draw.

If there were to be a rematch, I would expect (as Rahman said) that Toney would come into the fight in better shape than he did tonight. If that were the case, I'd definitely favor Toney.

Rahman, who wasn't landing as many true power shots as Toney was, finished the fight only landing a whole 13 more punches than Toney. Toney landed the bigger shots, even if they may not have appeared to hurt Rahman. He was definitely more effective in the spots where he decided to let his hands go, landing a much better percentage (not sure what the number was there, but I assume it was a much better percentage). And obviously, Toney is WAY better defensively. So you can kind of see where the judges were coming from, though HBO would never acknowledge that. They'd rather criticize the judges and push their agenda, than give unbiased coverage of the fight. That's why Showtime does a much better broadcast, and that's why I always mute HBO fights when I rewatch them. When I watch them the first time, I usually try to ignore them and laugh when I hear the things they're saying.

Guest sith lord
I think HBO's commentating may have had a great influence on people watching the fight. They were clearly lobbying for Rahman and gave him a little more credit than he deserved. It was a much closer fight than they let on, and the judges scored it pretty fairly. You can't really make a great case for Toney winning the fight, but it definitely could have been a draw as two judges scored it.

Rahman really fought Toney's fight for a lot of the fight. The ref really sucked tonight allowing Rahman to use his elbow, that's the only way he set up his right hand all night long.

Toney definitely was the more effective puncher, definitely had better effective aggression, and CLEARLY had better defense. Which pisses me off, I love both Rahman and Toney. I want so badly for Rahman to be a good fighter, and he looked as good as he could possibly look tonight boxingwise and he still sucked so bad defensively.

Most people look at the fight on who is the aggressor, who is more active. And that's a fair way to do it, but that's not the whole judging criteria. Judges can weigh on thing greater than another, but they're instructed to consider ring generalmanship, effective punching, effective aggression, and defense. They can choose to ignore that and just go with who they thought won the fight, they can do whatever they want, lol.

Toney was as sloppy as he's ever looked for a fight tonight and it hurt him some. That's part of his whole persona, "I look like this and I can still beat your ass". He's clearly the more skilled fighter between he and Rahman. The ref tonight was pretty awful, if he had done a better job. Toney might have even won the fight. As it was, it was scored a draw.

If there were to be a rematch, I would expect (as Rahman said) that Toney would come into the fight in better shape than he did tonight. If that were the case, I'd definitely favor Toney.

Rahman, who wasn't landing as many true power shots as Toney was, finished the fight only landing a whole 13 more punches than Toney. Toney landed the bigger shots, even if they may not have appeared to hurt Rahman. He was definitely more effective in the spots where he decided to let his hands go, landing a much better percentage (not sure what the number was there, but I assume it was a much better percentage). And obviously, Toney is WAY better defensively. So you can kind of see where the judges were coming from, though HBO would never acknowledge that. They'd rather criticize the judges and push their agenda, than give unbiased coverage of the fight. That's why Showtime does a much better broadcast, and that's why I always mute HBO fights when I rewatch them. When I watch them the first time, I usually try to ignore them and laugh when I hear the things they're saying.

I agree with everything you said. HBO boxing commentators are really starting to make me sick. It seems like they ride one of the fighters jock the entire fight. Like you said, this fight was a lot closer than what was being said by Stewart, Lampley and Merchant. And what was the deal with the crowd booing? I thought it was a pretty good fight.

I agree with everything you said. HBO boxing commentators are really starting to make me sick. It seems like they ride one of the fighters jock the entire fight. Like you said, this fight was a lot closer than what was being said by Stewart, Lampley and Merchant. And what was the deal with the crowd booing? I thought it was a pretty good fight.

I'm with both of you guys as far as the fight. I was originally planning on attending the fight, but I can look back now and say I'm glad I didn't. No one is satisfied seeing a tie, and I probably would have been bent over at the blackjack tables.

As good as Lampley can be (Gatti/Ward I) he's been just as horrible lately. My fingers are crossed that Roy Jones can somehow return to HBO or Showtime to resume his commentating career. While he lacked objectivity at times Jones was the best boxing analyst I have ever seen in terms of giving the viewer insight to what a fighter is thinking or plotting at a certain time. He also had the innate ability to see what was going to happen in the ring just moments before it happened. Jones was also good for calling out Lampley when he goes about his custom of completely skewing what happened in an exchange.

I hope we see a rematch where JT comes about 10 pounds lighter. He's never going to be a KO artist at heavyweight so he needs to trim some weight so he can become more active. Aggression is so pivotal in scoring fights.

Are there any more good heavyweight fights?

That's a fine question. After last night, I'm not so sure. That fight was more of something to keep on in the background between phone calls last night. Overall, :yawnee:

Tony is the most exciting heavy wieght to come around since probably Tyson.

And he is just as much of a head case as Tyson is.

I remember one time he stuck his tongue out at Holyfield, when he whipped Holyfields ass.

He's crazy, and he's definitly no chump or whimp. He's a beast!

Archived