Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Building a Championship team...your response please

dcsmooth

For many years, I have heard people say "You can't buy a championship!"

when you look at all the different teams in other sports as well, you see certain owners that are willing to spend money to put the best personnel, players/coaches- whatever, in place to win a championship. And, for this, some think it is wrong.

I've also heard before of certain owners that are reluctant or not willing to spend money for that same purpose; therefore, their organization normally suffers because of this.

Other sports includes:

(Just to name two)

1. New York Yankees

2. Los Angeles Lakers

These owners were/are willing to spend money for the same purpose; therefore, their organization were champions at one time, repeatedly.

In my tenure as a Redskins fan, I am proud to have had two owners who were/are not stingy but willing to put the best pesonnel on the field to win a championship or more.

Thank you, Mr. Jack Kent Cooke and Mr. Daniel Snyder

You make being a Redskins' fan an enjoyable experience, HTTR!

It is extremely obvious to not only myself but all the other Skins fans here that Mr. Snyder is extremely serious about building a championship football team, if he wasn't we wouldn't be the first team to act on all active FA's every year.

People get jealous because their owners are more concerned with increasing the amount of money they have in their pockets, however i think that is a concern of Mr. Snyder i think he has so much money he wants to be respected as one of the best owners in football. And the only way that is going to be accomplished is if he brings back atleast a couple more Super Bowls back to Washington.

Dan Snyder deserves much more credit than the media will ever give him. The greatest thing is that he could give a RA about the media and their feelings. As far as Championships go in the NFL there are always going to be a handful of teams that can win it. It comes down to depth, health and cohesion at the end of the season. Great owners and great managers make championships. We have made drastic improvements in our management personel and style over the last few years. This team has shown unity not seen since Gibbs I. I think Joe Gibbs is learning the ups and downs of management in the NFL. It is something he didn't really have to focus on in his first tenure. He has proven an above average learning curve in every other endevour he has taken on and this one should eventually end with the same result.

In the current era of football, it's never really worked.

Pittsburgh had plenty of FA's, but their team is pretty loyal to its players and conservative in FA.

That being said, the Skins only brought in 4 new starters through FA thus far. Nothing like 2000 or 2002-2003.

Why did you stop at two? Name the other ones.

I'm not a big fan of baseball but didn't the florida marlins buy a world series a few years back?

you know as well as i know the eagles will never be a part of that list as long as Jeff is the owner

Why did you stop at two? Name the other ones.

By naming just two teams, I was trying to avoid my writing from being too lengthy. But just to entertain your request I will do that:

1. New England Patriots

2. Pittsburg Steelers

3. San Antonio Spurs

4. Detroit Pistons

This can go on forever; however, I'll allow some of my other sport's fan to add a few, if they would.

It should only be considered "trying to buy a Championship" when you pay big money to older star players for a very short period of time, ie the 2000 season. What Coach Gibbs and the FO are doing is bringing in young up and coming talent that will help to win multiple Championships for years to come. Anyone, and I don't care how long you've been in the business (Len Pastabelly), that says that Snyder and Gibbs are just trying to buy a championship is an ill informed IDIOT period end of disscussion.

:soapbox:

Actually, the Yankees and Lakers are poor examples of "buying championships."

Basketball is a somewhat bad comparison, because one player can turn a team from a loser to a power. Still, it doesn't always bring championships. The Lakers of the 70s traded for Kareem and won nothing. It was not until they got brilliant in the draft that they started winning titles. They drafted Magic Johnson, James Worthy, and Byron Scott.

Jerry West later drafter Kobe Bryant and then acquired Shaq. They simply had the two best players in the league on the floor every night. But the rest of the team was role players who knew their job.

The Yankees have never really succeeded in "Buying" the championship outside of the 77 and 78 seasons. The 90s dynasty was largely the result of a brilliant farm system. Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Andy Pettie, Jorge Posada, Mo Rivera were all homegrown stars that they supplanted with mid-level veterans like David Cone. The A-Rod/Giambi/Johnson Yankees have won bubkus. And most of their fans will even acknowledge hating the way the team is constructed.

The last few years in all sports have really proved that the best way to win a title is develop your own talent, nurture it, lock it up long term and then supplement it with hungry vets. Most importantly, keep the nucleus in place. The Spurs have developed Duncan, Parker and Ginobli and then surround them with cagey vets like Horrey and Bowen. The Pistons are slightly different in that they took talented players that nobody wanted like Hamilton, 'Sheed, Wallace, and Billups. But they have kept them together for a pretty long time.

In football, the Patriots and Steelers develop talent like nobody's business. The Patriots are slightly more active in Free Agency but neither team goes for high-ticket players. And the free agents know that their main job is to blend in. I mean, Jeff Hartings and James Farrior are free agent signings but most people think they have always been Steelers.

Archived