Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants Fan Question about Redskins Fans Worries About Salary Cap

Manning2Plax4six

He said he's 14 in the other thread. Meh, either way.
He's older than you are. :laugh:
hahahahaha "hey youngin"...I love it

I tell you what this guy sounds like,....every other fan of any other team in the league that is constantly telling us we are going to fall on our A** becuase of the cap...Snyder is too good...just give it up:gaintsuck:gaintsuck:gaintsuck

How did your age change from 14 to 24?

i guess he became wiser from 14 to 24, when u visite the redskins message board. he become amazed with the knowledge and tried to be as informed as us. Too bad, there trying to load up on old and ****ty DBs that cover the smufs. BTW, the giants will crumble if they keep tom couglin as their HC.

i guess he became wiser from 14 to 24, when u visite the redskins message board. he become amazed with the knowledge and tried to be as informed as us. Too bad, there trying to load up on old and ****ty DBs that cover the smufs. BTW, the giants will crumble if they keep tom couglin as their HC.
:laugh::laugh: Yeah, I guess he got tired of being called a youngin... I think I'll be 40 next week. I always wanted to be over the hill.

Here's something I posted in the TK-Passing the Bucks thread.

What I don't like is everyone else, all of the anal-ysts, that keep hinting or outright saying that the Skins are cheating the cap.

What I don't get is why all of these supposedly football savvy journalists, some that claim to understand the salary cap, don't know how the Skins do it. It's pretty simple.

Large signing bonuses which get pro-rated over several years. The first couple of years the guys usually make veteran minimums, with their salary increasing until the end of the contract. But, some of this is set up as roster bonuses instead of salary. Which is some of the "guaranteed" money that keeps getting mentioned. But it's only guaranteed if the player is still on the roster when the bonus is due. If the player is still there, the roster bonuses can then get converted to signing bonuses, which of course get pro-rated over a few years. Which provides room for new signings. And those large salaries at the end of the contract usually get reworked. Everything always fits.

Does anyone think that Dan Snyder doesn't know how to handle money? The guy practically grows it. He's a great business man that's made himself a fortune. I'd have to bet that Mr. Snyder has a huge hand in managing the cap. And for all that everyone always predicts "Cap Hell" for us in 3 years, it hasn't hit yet. Thanks to Dan's incredible ability to work the numbers to field the team that his coaching staff wants every year.

And the other part of this puzzle? The players. They love the way they are schmoozed by the FO and the coaching staff. They love the way that their families are included in the whole process, how Coach Gibbs talks to their wives. They love the fan base and traditions of the Redskins. But the bottom line is, they love that their money is up front and immediate. They take their signing bonuses from us rather than a similar amount in salary. If they're injured, they still have their bonus and their family is provided for. With the other offers they get, an injury would seriously affect the value of the contract.

Sorry for the long post. But I still say it's pretty simple.

Well stop signing big names like Lloyd(the perenial probowler), when you stop trading all your draft picks, and your heart and soul for one rookie QB instead of another rookie QB. You realize we got ALL these players, with proven talent for less than you gave.

Here's something I posted in the TK-Passing the Bucks thread...QUOTE]

Great post!

I think you should copy that to several other threads and then have the mods close those threads. Your post is a very good assessment of how the cap is managed by the front office, and why the Redskins, as an organization, manage to get great players year after year.

Signing all theese big name players to massavie contracts is gonna come back and kick you in the a**. Drives me insanes to see the giants playing conservative and you guys making a frieken all star team.

bitter

A noun

1 bitterness, bitter

the property of having a harsh unpleasant taste

What the fans of Giants don;t understand is that the media doesn't really understand the salary cap.

They put all these contract numbers in so they look huge, but in reality they are back-loaded and they include all the insentives and escalators that make it that big. You must realize the actual money they get won't really be close to that. Some of the bonuses and escalators and inscentives will never be reached.

Signing all theese big name players to massavie contracts is gonna come back and kick you in the a**. Drives me insanes to see the giants playing conservative and you guys making a frieken all star team.

Ummm How many rings do the Giants have ??????:gaintsuck

Here's something I posted in the TK-Passing the Bucks thread...

Great post!

I think you should copy that to several other threads and then have the mods close those threads. Your post is a very good assessment of how the cap is managed by the front office, and why the Redskins, as an organization, manage to get great players year after year.

Thanks. I'd rather not spam a bunch of threads with this same post. I felt bad posting it twice. I was going to start a "understanding the Skins salary cap" thread, but there were several threads already discussing it. So I just posted it in a couple.

You can't be serious? Well the I guess the deal Snyder just gave archuleta (the richest deal for a safety in the history of the NFL) just proves that the skins are overpaying by a mile

Don't be naive. The contract is backloaded like crazy and it will only be the richest deal if he plays the whole thing out. All of these contracts we gave out this year will have to be revisited in 3-4 years. You have to look at the guaranteed money and the first 3-4 years compensation to determine the true value of the contract. Besides, if he hits his incentives, Sean Taylor's contract can potentially go over 40 mil by the time it's done so I don't see how Archuleta's is the richest. Maybe the richest signing bonus, but that's because Synder has no quams about writing the check and the cap hit is deferred that way.

All this junk you hear about overpaying is nothing more than that....junk. The contracts were all designed to generously compensate the player while being cap friendly and if Dan can afford the signing bonus checks, what's the difference? Overpayed is relative, if they contribute and their cap figures don't force us to lose other people, i fail to see how we overpayed. For example, for the life of the contract, Chicago was offering EL more than us, their owner just didn't want to cut that big a check right off the bat. Dan isn't afraid to take a loss and in doing so he creates cap room and gains a competitve advantage over other clubs when it comes to acquiring FAs. Players sign for the signing bonus, that's where the real money is.

Here's the way it works. The player signs for 5-7 years at around a $10 million signing bonus. The other money numbers are inconsequential because they are not guaranteed. Only the signing bonus is guaranteed. You prorate the bonus over the lifespan of the contarct in this expample we'll call it 10 mil over five years. So 2 mil per year comes off the cap. We keep the guy for 2 or three years depending on his play and our cap number. 3 years later the player counts $4 million against the cap to release and really onlt $2 mil over two season s depending on when he is released.

This is why players come to Washington, they will get paid here. Dan Snyder will not undercut them and they know it. Point blank. Every team in the league operates this way, the Redskins are just under the scope for whatever reason.

Lastly, it is important to remember that this is a different time than it was under Turner or Spurrier. The Skins have a proven commodity runnung the team now. Joe Gibbs and that is awesome from the player's prospective. First, you get paid, Second, you get quality coaching, Third, you win as evidenced by last season's turnaround. Washington is the place to be!!!

Archived