Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: wynn might be released

SkinSince87

While the Redskins have a greater need at linebacker after the release of three-time Pro Bowl selection LaVar Arrington, Carter fits better at defensive end, which could put holdover starter Renaldo Wynn in jeopardy of being cut.

The Redskins gained about $4.5 million in salary cap room by reworking the contracts of linebacker Marcus Washington and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin. But highly paid offensive linemen Jon Jansen, Randy Thomas and Casey Rabach, quarterback Mark Brunell and defensive end Renaldo Wynn haven't renegotiated.

Adding Randle El, Lloyd, Fauria, Archuleta and Carter and retaining running back Rock Cartwright and reserve linebacker Khary Campbell (who re-signed yesterday) cost roughly $9 million. Given that the Redskins already were over the cap even after cutting six players, there are some strange economics at work.

full article here

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060314-010610-1179r.htm

Please check the forum guidelines for titling threads pertaining to articles.... thanks! ~ Blade

Well Wynn has been bumped out of the lineup. Daniels will move to LE and Carter will fit in at RE. While Wynn has the versatility to play both inside and outside it seems his days are numbered. He will be one well paid backup DL if he does hang around...

Hmmm... here's what I think I know about Wynn's contract: he's due $1m in salary, his remaining signing bonus counts about $1.5m against the cap. But he's got a $1m offseason bonus due. That could be amortized... but it's pretty much peanuts.

He's gonna cost $3.5m against the cap if it isn't restructured, and about $2.7 if it is.

Cutting him free up $2m (current deal) or $1.25m (vs. amortized) against the cap. If they cut him, he will still cost $1.5m against the cap (dead money) from his remaining signing bonus.

Would you rather have the cap room or Wynn? If Wynn goes, I assume it's because another DE is inbound...

NOOOOOOO. :mad: I like him and he is great against the run. I knew that bringing in all these new guys would mean that someone would be sacrificed. But oh well. I really hope this is not true but in all actuality, Carter has to replace someone as the starter. :2cents:

Given that the Redskins already were over the cap even after cutting six players, there are some strange economics at work.

[/i]

So the author at least admits he does not know whats going on.

I'm glad we cleared that up.

and as Old Skool has already said:

"2. You cant replace Wynn with Carter. Carter isnt stout against the run and you have to be to play LDE"

Wynn will restructure if they want him to.

The WT has NO idea what it is talking about. When we cut the players we were no longer over the cap. In fact it would be IMPOSSIBLE for us to have been since there was a league deadline to get under the cap. Just goes to show you how these writers not only lack the ability to do a tiny bit of research, but common sense.

Guest SylkeSmove

It wont happen. Gregg uses 6 to 7 lineman each game(if healthy). To keep them fresh. Wynn fits into those plans. Gregg uses alot of formations...so this will just help us out even more.

wynn is a locker room leader, loved by the team and the community... heck, watching postgame interviews with him on redskins.com TV he clearly loves us (the fans) and the team.... cutting him would just be another mistake and hurt the chemistry we finally had last season

Archived