Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[A Rams Fan's Take on] Adam Archuleta

ramsrams

Let me re-introduce myself. I participate at the best Rams board in existence www.realramsfans.com., under the same screen name.

I had a good discourse with some of you prior to the Skins/Rams game last year.

I was judged objective at that time. You can look it up.

I find it somewhat humorous that a player judged so expendable by one team can be knighted by another. Yes, you will read that new coach Haslett wanted him back. Kind of. He was convinced otherwise.

As one who has watched AA ever since he has come into the league, I unfortunately have to suggest that Mr. Snyder just blew $10 million plus this year's salary. Not that that matters.

If a first down safety was that important, then it's a decent move. Archuleta is good at directed plays in front of him. Unfortunately for the Skins, that's all he's good at. Some have suggested he's also good at blitzing, but he's not. He runs by the pocket with very few change of direction skills.

Adam can't cover a TE if his life depended on it. The Rams have been consistently burned by mediocre TE's like Campbell and Johnson on AA's watch.

When AA is in space, he has few football instincts. Running backs can set up Arch with one move, and he's out of the play. I'm sure you've heard of the bad angles he takes.

I'm sure the better coaching will allow Arch to play at a higher level, but at the end of the day, here's a guy you gave beaucoup dollars to who I didn't want anywhere near a starting spot for the defensively challenged Rams next year.

Strange.

The key difference is in the coaching staff. Last year Ryan Clark gave us an outstanding season despite being undersized and having very mediocre athletic ability.

With no ill will meant, we have a significantly better Defensive Coordinator than you. Gregg Williams finds ways to utilze talent very well.

While AA certainly has deficiencies I am certain that Gregg Williams has figured a way to neutralize them while exploiting AA's strengths.

Well, regardless of your opinion of him, you are not in charge of our FO & the moves they decide to make. Further, being that you are a Rams fan, it stands to reason that when you see the Sean Taylor/Adam Archuleta tandom, you salivate & are prone to jealous fits of violence. It's ok, let it out. It will be all ok when we are hoisting our 4th Trophy...and our 5th one...and our 6th one...

Oh, and as always, :ramsuck:

The Skins weren't the only team interested. This is who Greg Williams wanted. So far his instincts as well as Blache's and Lindseys have been pretty damn good when it comes to the draft and FAs. Of course, the Redskins defense has been excellent for 2 straight years due to good coaching and personnel choices...The Rams well, yikes. I guess we'll see who is right you or Greg Williams.

I got to step in here. Ramsrams is not trolling, he is looking for feedback. Look at his post log and you will see that he is actually looking for debate not someone to set a bag of sh!+ on fire and leave it on his doorstep.

If you read the insider analysis on AA, (which is posted in about 95 different AA threads right now) his views are dead on. Like I said though Williams will make AA look like the 1st rounder that he was and then some.

Thanks.

Next time you have some bitterness to offer... wait till someone asks for it. :ciao:

Oh yeah and not everybody's really excited about him in town..except maybe the women ;)

I hope that didn't come across as bitter.

I was trying to be objective.

Archuleta has averaged close to 90 tackles a season (88.25) the past 4 seasons. Not bad for a Strong Safety (More than Roy Williams - 86.5). He had 116 tackles 4 years ago...NUTS for a SS.

Not to mention, I think I'll take Gregg Williams' opinion over yours...you know, him being a defensive genius and you being a nobody Rams fan and all...no offense. ;)

I got to step in here. Ramsrams is not trolling, he is looking for feedback. Look at his post log and you will see that he is actually looking for debate not someone to set a bag of sh!+ on fire and leave it on his doorstep.

If you read the insider analysis on AA, (which is posted in about 95 different AA threads right now) his views are dead on. Like I said though Williams will make AA look like the 1st rounder that he was and then some.

You gotta point out that Lovie Smith (his old D.C.) was our main competetion to sign the guy. This guy is gonna be a beast next to the talent and system execution of this D next year.

I hope that didn't come across as bitter.

I was trying to be objective.

You come across sounding like a lot of us do talking about Robert Royal. A lot of malice with regards to some of his recent perfermances....

Still, it seems to me that Archuleta was one of few noteworthy Rams defenders out there (along with possibly Leonard Little). It's hard to say how well he'll do in a defense with some real chemistry and under a great coach such as Williams. We all know the Rams have struggled defensively despite being, at one point, the greatest show on turf.

You gotta point out that Lovie Smith (his old D.C.) was our main competetion to sign the guy. This guy is gonna be a beast next to the talent and system execution of this D next year.

This is a great point...Lovie, the guy in charge of drafting him, really wanted him back. The Danny just made an offer the Bears weren't willing to match b/c Gregg wanted him more. However it speaks volumes that his former DC wanted him, IMHO. It was under Smith that he had his 116 tackle season, after all...

Let me re-introduce myself. I participate at the best Rams board in existence www.realramsfans.com., under the same screen name.

I had a good discourse with some of you prior to the Skins/Rams game last year.

I was judged objective at that time. You can look it up.

I find it somewhat humorous that a player judged so expendable by one team can be knighted by another. Yes, you will read that new coach Haslett wanted him back. Kind of. He was convinced otherwise.

As one who has watched AA ever since he has come into the league, I unfortunately have to suggest that Mr. Snyder just blew $10 million plus this year's salary. Not that that matters.

If a first down safety was that important, then it's a decent move. Archuleta is good at directed plays in front of him. Unfortunately for the Skins, that's all he's good at. Some have suggested he's also good at blitzing, but he's not. He runs by the pocket with very few change of direction skills.

Adam can't cover a TE if his life depended on it. The Rams have been consistently burned by mediocre TE's like Campbell and Johnson on AA's watch.

When AA is in space, he has few football instincts. Running backs can set up Arch with one move, and he's out of the play. I'm sure you've heard of the bad angles he takes.

I'm sure the better coaching will allow Arch to play at a higher level, but at the end of the day, here's a guy you gave beaucoup dollars to who I didn't want anywhere near a starting spot for the defensively challenged Rams next year.

Strange.

I definitely appreciate your candor. I myself have never been a big fan of AA. I always thought he was extremely weak in pass coverage.

The one thing I look forward to is his blitzing ability. While you say it is overrated, you can't help but notice that he has had 15 sacks in his short career, and for a D Back that is pretty sweet.

Also, it has been rumored that G Williams is a HUGE fan of AA, and that alone keeps me intrigued by this deal.

As a side note, I must thank you. I don't mean this as a knock at all, because it is the truth, but your post reminded me that your new DC is Haslet. I had been racking my brain trying to remember who your new coach was. I now remember that it's Linehan.

Thanks for your opinion. It's appreciated.

Archuleta has averaged close to 90 tackles a season (88.25) the past 4 seasons. Not bad for a Strong Safety (More than Roy Williams - 86.5). He had 116 tackles 4 years ago...NUTS for a SS.

Not to mention, I think I'll take Gregg Williams' opinion over yours...you know, him being a defensive genius and you being a nobody Rams fan and all...no offense. ;)

Yep, that's true.

I'm a nobody Rams fan, and ANY coach in the NFL , or college, or HS, etc knows more than me.

That's a no brainer.

I'm giving you my opinion based on watching the guy play pretty much every game he's played in the NFL.

I don't give a tinker's cuss if you choose not to accept it.

I thought it might add to the depth of the forum knowledge.

Yep, that's true.

I'm a nobody Rams fan, and ANY coach in the NFL , or college, or HS, etc knows more than me.

That's a no brainer.

I'm giving you my opinion based on watching the guy play pretty much every game he's played in the NFL.

Easy pal...note the ;) at the end of that. Just giving you a hard time; you're in enemy territory after all. No need to get your panties in a jumble! ;) <----note the smily

I bet it was difficult for Archuletta to pick up certain assignments when his defense consistently sucked every year, and he had to worry about anchoring the defense and covering for the out of place defenders. No wonder his tackle totals were so high. When a safety has that many tackles each season, it shows that it's the people around him who stink, and shows what a lousy defensive system the Rams had, having to rely on one safety to make every play. Haslett let Arch. go? That's weird, cuz Haslett is such a defensive guru (and the Browns are contenders every year). I'll put my faith in the defensive coach who gave us an elite D which is feared and respected around the league, much sooner than listen to a team whose D has been a laughing stock for forever. Haven't you all learned that if you take a talented player from a crappy team and put him on a good team w/ a talented coaching staff, that the player WILL produce much better results. You'd think this would be common sense for people, but I guess not.

By the way, I'll take Archuletta over Chavous any day of the week.

Yep, that's true.

That's a no brainer.

Well if you wanna add depth to any knowledge base you really need to bring some facts to support your opinions.

When anyone can easily refute your argument with simple statistics and EXPERT analysis, it doesn't say much for the opinion you have formed about a player who performed on a disappointing team the last couple of years.

What you have to understand is the fact that there has already been Steelers fans around hating on Randle El, 49ers fans hating on B. Lloyd, and now you come in here and hate on Adam Archuleta. The same types of things always happen when players leave a team for "money." Look at Johnny Damon. 3 months ago Boston fans loved him and would tell you how great he is. Now it's all about how much they hate him and how he has been overrated all these years. "Hell hath no fury like a lover scorned."

Yep, that's true.

That's a no brainer.

I gotta a no-brainer for a Rams fan.

No Lovie Smith = Defense pathetic

The Skins weren't the only team interested. This is who Greg Williams wanted. So far his instincts as well as Blache's and Lindseys have been pretty damn good when it comes to the draft and FAs. Of course, the Redskins defense has been excellent for 2 straight years due to good coaching and personnel choices...The Rams well, yikes. I guess we'll see who is right you or Greg Williams.

Holdman *cough* Who said that?!?

I wonder why the Scouts over at ESPN Insider seem to think he can cover TEs man-to-man but this average fan says he can't cover a lick???

Hmmm...

Joe Gibbs+Gregg Williams+ESPN Insider Scouts Inc.

vs.

ramsrams

I think I'll take the former...

With all due respect, you'd be wrong.

And I'm not saying that to be a smartass.

Look deeper.

With all due respect, you'd be wrong.

And I'm not saying that to be a smartass.

Look deeper.

OK, so I should value your opinion (that of a fan) over the opinions of individuals being paid to understand the game of football?

Who the hell are you that we should believe you are an expert in all things football. I wouldn't walk in here and expect everyone to welcome your biased opinion on a player when you have absolutely no credibiility whatsoever and then basically claim that you are smarter than Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams, and everyone over at Scouts, Inc.? Seems like your credibility is only gonna get worse...

I'm sure the better coaching will allow Arch to play at a higher level, but at the end of the day, here's a guy you gave beaucoup dollars to who I didn't want anywhere near a starting spot for the defensively challenged Rams next year. Strange.

Well you didn't insult anyone here on the board, so you are entitled to your opion just like everyone else.

Even if what you say is true, coaches that know how to "teach" in the NFL, can make all the difference in the world.

No one ever heard of FA Antonio Pierce either, but Williams and company made him into an All Pro linebacker. Lemar Marshall another FA took over for Pierce, and played just as well as Pierce. Ryan Clark another FA who was not drafted, has been solid the past two years as a starter. Joe Salav'ea who was out of football has been a beast since Williams brought him aboard. Demetrius Evans another FA has been great filling in for starters. Do you finally see my point.

Adam Archuleta has more athleticism then any of the above players, you have to admit to that, based on his 40 time and bench press.

Besides Archulets is really only getting a $5 Mil signing bonus, with the rest in later roster bonuses. If he doesn't work out he can be cut and the damage is not very great.

Enough said. :D

Archived