Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Primary Reason Behind Signing Both Lloyd and Randel El?

pollaxt

I believe it's the fact that the coaching staff and the front office are a jot concerned about Santana's ability to remain healthy and hold up over the next few years. In New York, Santana pulled his hamstring quite a few times and while this year he was able to stay healthy for the most part, I and this board were scurred to our knickers the couple of times we heard Santana "tweaked" his hammy and left to ponder how the Skins could possibly field an offensive team with #89 on the field.

Now if only one of Brandon Lloyd or Antwaan Randel El were signed, the Skins would have had a formidable and explosive pair of starting wide receivers. However, if an injury were to occur to one of them, we would be back to last year, praying that Taylor Jacobs or Jimmy Farris could somehow contribute.

Let's face it, Moss, Randel El, and Lloyd are all quick and versatile receivers but have the girth of Dustin "Screech" Diamond. One could very easily get hurt considering a couple of them will play special teams and return kicks. With these two signings in the past couple of days, Ladies and Gentlemen, we have the thing which Coach Gibbs loves the most, depth. And if Patten remains with the team, even with an injury, he will be bumped from 4th receiver to the slot. And knowing that, is a very reassuring thing.

And finally one giant...KNOCK ON WOOD!

I agree. You can never have too much depth, and El alos gives us a great return man. Only thing I worry about is if this leaves us with enough room to sign positions that might be of a greater need than the one El filled. (OL depth, nickel CB, kicker)

But still, its pretty hard not to be excited about the signing!

Al Saunders likes to use a 3 receiver formation on third downs to spread things out and find room down the middle of the field using his slot guys. Lloyd and Randle El give the Redskins the opportunity to put 3 playmakers on the field at the same time and have RL lined up in that slot position gaining favorable coverage for him but also for Chris Cooley who now will almost always be covered by a linebacker only :D

I agree. You can never have too much depth, and El alos gives us a great return man. Only thing I worry about is if this leaves us with enough room to sign positions that might be of a greater need than the one El filled. (OL depth, nickel CB, kicker)

But still, its pretty hard not to be excited about the signing!

Exactly!

Nothing wrong with having three good WR's!

Monk/Sanders/Clark......Moss/Lloyd/Randle El!

Santana Moss has actually added quite a few things to his weekly routine which have helped him avoid the injury bug since he came to DC. He's been hooked up with a sports trainer that helps to loosen him up in between games and practices. His injuries have always been more muscle-oriented (pulls, strains, etc.) anyway... so that is much much easier for him to avoid.

Remember, the reason Moss was so banged up in NY was also because he was returning punts, in addition to playing WR. Also, he had limp armed Chad throwing to him as well. These combined factors hurt his stats.

But hey, I love the depth at WR!

Al Saunders likes to use a 3 receiver formation on third downs to spread things out and find room down the middle of the field using his slot guys. Lloyd and Randle El give the Redskins the opportunity to put 3 playmakers on the field at the same time and have RL lined up in that slot position gaining favorable coverage for him but also for Chris Cooley who now will almost always be covered by a linebacker only :D
Cam you imagine how this formation is going to open some occassional draw plays? Wow.

I thought the ESPN MAGAZINE article on Santana Moss back in October or November really stated the case as to why he was playing more consistently this year -- he was really taking care of himself.

What I have liked behind the theory of using our draft picks to go and get other teams 3-4 yr vets is that, in theory, we should be getting these guys as they are at the end of their maturation process. They're mentally ready to be grown, professional men. Santana basically said in that article that the difference between 2004 and 2005 was that in 2005 he was taking care of himself a bit better...treating his body with the respect that his contract mandated he treat it.

I'm excited to see what Al Saunders can do with this rag tag bunch! Imagine the KC Offense matched with our Defense. We'll be in a position to make a serious run at a Super Bowl the next few years.

And I've said it before on this board; 2005 felt very much like 1990 to me.

In 1990 we went out, lost to an NFC West team in the Divisional Round, and built on that. Hell, even in the Wild Card round, we beat a great defensive team, in their bldg, with the world saying the Redskins would go down, after making a late-season push to get into the playoffs. Does that all sound familiar?

If it plays out the same way in 2006 that it did in 1991, the important thing was that the nucleus was kept together, learned from their playoff push the year before, and didn't take any regular-season games for granted.

I can't help thinking what those 3 wide receivers are going to do for us, on play action but it also puts man-to man coverage (possibly a linebacker) on Cooley and with the offensive formation spread, Clinton Portis will find holes you can drive a tractor-trailer thru!

I can't help thinking what those 3 wide receivers are going to do for us, on play action but it also puts man-to man coverage (possibly a linebacker) on Cooley and with the offensive formation spread, Clinton Portis will find holes you can drive a tractor-trailer thru!

I love you guys, I think I shi@ the bed today and possibly later on tonight for good measure :silly:

HTTR

Archived