Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A 49er fan's take on Brandon Lloyd.

niner5sb

He's not a very big guy and seems to have trouble getting separation. This guy makes insane catches consistently.... but he has too because he always seems to have a defender draped on him. Not exactly a burner with break away speed. Absolutely NO YAC, he can't seem to break tackles. One handed grabs, leaping grabs, and over the back grabs are easy for him. Has had a few plays where he seemed to have "alligator arms" and didn't seem to want to take a big hit. No major problems with injuries. Seems a bit ****y. Some of the veterans have had an issue with him not being concerned about losses. He's a rapper and shows that a little in his end zone dances. Made lots of catches on out patterns and on the sideline, but not much over the middle. Caught a few deep balls over the shoulder.

I think he would do very well in your offense because Moss would deserve double coverage and could open Lloyd up more. If he gets single coverage, his numbers should improve.

If we get a 3rd and 4th, you are definetly getting the better end of the deal. I would estimate that 70% of the niner fans on our board are upset with the offer. Most think it should be more like a 2nd and a 3rd.

Not sure what our guys are thinking in accepting the trade. They might be feeling that Lloyd will be gone for sure next year as an UFA and we will get nothing. We might be looking to bring in more of a #1 receiver and I feel that Lloyd is a great #2, but does not have the size, strength, and separating ability to be a true #1 receiver. Having said that, i wish that Lloyd could be our #2! Nolan is big on "character" (whatever that means) and Lloyd may not get along with him that well and maybe that is why they are looking to trade him.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

"Absolutely NO YAC, he can't seem to break tackles. One handed grabs, leaping grabs, and over the back grabs are easy for him."

Imagine what he could do with a QB that can get him the ball in stride. :D

Like I said it might only be one or two strides before he is tackled, but he'll take all the airballs and mud throws that Brunell can give him!!:laugh:

niner5sb:

He's not a very big guy and seems to have trouble getting separation. This guy makes insane catches consistently.... but he has too because he always seems to have a defender draped on him. Not exactly a burner with break away speed.

Sounds more like "sour grapes/ I hope you guys don't sign him".......

Lloyd is probably one of those guys that will benefit greatly from a change of scenary. By all accounts he was not very popular in the locker room. Don't forget that the Jets were totally down on Moss - said he was soft, always went out of bounds to avoid the hit, was only going to be at best the NY 3rd wr last year.

Frankly it seems like it takes most wr's 3-4 years to figure out the NFL. Maybe we'll be getting him just as he's begun to figure it out. He can watch the work ethic of guys like Moss and Thrash. I think this could be an incredible deal for us.

I think we have enough leadership on this team to keep most problem players in check. With that said, it did not seem like he was a problem, just that people did not like him. Hopefully this trade gets done and he decides to work his butt off for gibbs like most players do. this is my second favorite time of year next to the Reg. Season. Go skins.

Here are some other quotes from niner fans on our board....

"I feel the same way as you, I really don't think Lloyd wanted to be here and would walk away in free agency next year. This way we get a 1st day pick and a 4th next year which is pretty darn good for a WR that isn't very physical, not a good blocker, and still inconsistant. "

This is a good one....

"The Niners had so much cap room, and got a CBA extension (aka more cap room). Great for us. Now our #1 wideout (how viable as #1 is a different story) but either way, he's on his way out. WR is now our weakest position. Who will we start? Battle and Fleck!? Battle and Hamilton who we've NEVER seen play?? McAddley!?!? GIVENS!? I mean COME ON we are going to lose out big if we don't make some FA noise SOON! Givens and Randle El (who I'm not convinced about anyways) are going to be snatched up FAST. We don't even have a scheduled team visit!!! AHHHH WE KEEP SHOOTING OURSELVES IN THE FEET!!!":doh: :doh: :doh:

"Why is everyone down on this trade?? Next year, he could walk away from the team and we would have nothing in return. You all don't think we'd actually franchise that little circus monkey, do you"

"We're getting the best possible deal for him right now. If we'd have given him the 4th round tender (which was a pretty likely scenario) he'd be gone too, so we're gettin a deal.

THe 1st round tender wasn't given to keep him here for a year and then let him walk next year. The 1st round tender was given because it gave us the greatest amount of leverage with interested teams.

it was a strategy and it can definitely benefit the team."

"He looks like fools gold to me. Time will tell"

"I don't honestly care. I think there are lots of WRs that can replace his production, if it it's not spectacular. In his starting career, Lloyd's caught just 46% of the balls thrown his way. All other "top-3" WRs for the 49ers have caught 54% of the balls thrown their way. And that includes the much maligned Cedrick Wilson, Johnny Morton and Curtis Conway. "

"A third and a fourth for Lloyd would be great! Two seconds for Lloyd would be highway robbery! Fans have a tendency to overvalue their own players. Lloyd doesn't like contact, short-arms passes when he knows he's going to be hit and then blames the quarterback, alienates his teammates (two years in a row now), and is in Nolan's doghouse. I'd trade him for a really good overstuffed burrito. "

"I have been watching 49er football for over 50 years and Lloyd has made some of the most spectacular catches ever made by any 49er receiver. I will truly miss watching him play if he leaves. Lloyd, Hicks and Gore were our only offensive players I enjoyed watching last year. Battle did good when he was healthy, which wasn't often. "

"woudlnt mind eventually losing Lloyd for picks or whatever, but not this year. We have a pretty mediocre WR corps right now. Not saying they are bad, but they are way to young and inexperienced. Lloyd is pretty much the only stability that we have. The draft kinda stinks for WRs this year, so I think its a very bad idea to trade him away or not keep him, especially if were only going to get mid round draft pick or picks. We need to give Alex weapons, and even though Lloyd is no number one, hes a weapon that we need on our offense for the time being. "

niner5sb:

Sounds more like "sour grapes/ I hope you guys don't sign him".......

I just gave you an honest fans assessment of his play the last few years. Yes , I hope we keep him this year, but we would still need to sign a #1 receiver to help him out. He is not a #1 receiver. I try not to have sour grapes because i don't know what the master plan is. If we brought in a top FA reciever I would have no trouble in dealing lloyd.

Archived