Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Implications of Today's "Targets"

rvan1

The Redskins are making it pretty clear that they want to solve the WR problem in FA, not the draft, by trying to bring in Lloyd and/or Randle El.

This means probably no Maurice Stovall hopes with that second rounder...

The Redskins are also trying to solve their potential safety problem (regarding ST's availablity) with Archeluta.

If he signs, probably no KO Simpson, either.

Todd Collins coming in means obviously that Ramsey will not be here (which is pretty obvious, but theres always the chance that a deal doesnt work out, or we dont get what we would want in the market for him). It also means no Marcus Vick or similar QB prospects in the draft, which is fine by me, or any wilder "Pick up Drew Brees" type FA moves (also fine by me).

DT Andre Carter is a bit of a mystery to me. He's supposedly shown promise in SF, but has also been injury prone. Reminds me a lot of the Cornelius Griffin type gamble. I think the 'Skins will use that 2nd rounder on their d-line, and my guess is DE Parys Haralson from Univ. Tennessee.... we'll see though.

While it is of course too early to assume that these players are Skins yet, I think the skins moves on this first day of free agency does shed a little light on their draft intentions. How successful they are, however, is a different story, but if history serves as a lesson, the 'Skins generally get what the want (even if they pay a little too much for it...)

I've been saying we are going to draft a CB in the second to replace Springs in a few years, even if we sign a veteran for the nickel. Looks like I might be right. We could still draft a DE, but we will more than likely have Carter, and Evans looked real good late last season. I'm still hoping for a trade up to get Vernon Davis. (wishfull thinking)

Was Griff injury prone in NY? I didn't think so but wasn't flashy just a blue collar stud and he has shown that.

if im not mistaken, two years before we aquired him, he had a huge season, but the following year he had nagging injuries and fell out of favor with the giants staff.

Carter is a DE/OLB not a DT. If we do sign Lloyd and/or El I think its obvious we wont be going WR in the draft. Even if we get Carter we might still look for some help at OLD/DE but it wont be that big of a need.

Right now what we do need but dont seem to be targeting are OL and CB depth. that would probably be our main focus in the draft if we dont start targeting these positions in free agency.

The Redskins are also trying to solve their potential safety problem (regarding ST's availablity) with Archeluta.

QUOTE]

Arche is a SS not a FS

wouldnt be surprised if he switched (or clark switched) if ST is in jail

I'm gonna differ with you folks on the 2nd rounder - how about a bigger DT that can be a run stuffer and a person who soaks up double teams... I have heard the draft is deep in DT.

We need someone who can play the NT position if we go to the 3-3-5 or 3-4 schemes at times... plus a good hefty body to help take some of the heat off of Griffin who can be rotated with the other DTs....

QUOTE]

Arche is a SS not a FS

I think Ryan Clark has played both safety slots. (I might be wrong, though.) So it's possible that, if Taylor can't play, Clark moves over and Archeluta plays SS.

Also, unless the skins have parted ways with them, Pierson Prioleau and Omar Stoutmire--both veterans, but both without Taylor's blistering talent--are still on the roster.

I'm gonna differ with you folks on the 2nd rounder - how about a bigger DT that can be a run stuffer and a person who soaks up double teams... I have heard the draft is deep in DT.

We need someone who can play the NT position if we go to the 3-3-5 or 3-4 schemes at times... plus a good hefty body to help take some of the heat off of Griffin who can be rotated with the other DTs....

I think Joe S is a fine 2 DT, and Cedric Killings is a good back up

The big samoan DT from the ravens sounds like what you are ordering,....Ha'ake Kemoeatu

I think the 2nd rounder will need to be some player that can step in in certain situations-- a pass rusher, or a dime back, or a TE... someone who will contribute quickly. The 4th rounder I think is more likely to be an O-lineman or receiver who can be groomed for a season.

I'm not sure LB is perceived as a need-- we still have Holdman (however much we think he pales in comparison to Lavar), who the coaches must find at least tolerable; and we still have Chris Clemons at LB, too. My best guess:

2nd: CB

(3rd? in trade for Ramsey?) TE

4th: Guard

5th: WR

6th: O-line (again)... we only have 2 guards on the roster

7th:another WR? some special-teams player? Camp fodder?

The big samoan DT from the ravens sounds like what you are ordering,....Ha'ake Kemoeatu

that's Kemo-EAT-You :yikes:

He sounds like a young Dave Butz to me...you can NEVER have too much hamburger on your lines. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Joe pick an OL in rd 2.

Andre carter will play DE in our 4-3 system IMO. He was only moved to olb due to the niners moving to a 3-4 D. We still need a starter at LB and this is supposed to be a deep position in this years draft. Like some have already said I see us going LB, CB, TE, Oline depth in the draft. Of course we don't know what picks we will have left after all our dealings.

that's Kemo-EAT-You :yikes:

He sounds like a young Dave Butz to me...you can NEVER have too much hamburger on your lines. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Joe pick an OL in rd 2.

Already signed with Carolina.

Bummer.

(edit)

Darn. Brother Redskin has a faster mouse than I do. Beat me to it.

Archived