Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA crazy gas tax idea....

Johnny Punani2

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/16/AR2006021602187.html

Va. Considers Gas Tax With Refunds for Receipts

RICHMOND -- State senators in Virginia have come up with an unusual new tax increase. People who don't like it don't have to pay it. But here's the catch: They must be especially well organized.

The Senate, which hopes to raise about a billion dollars a year to spend on transportation, is seeking a 5 percent increase in the wholesale gas tax to help raise the revenue. Even though the tax is on wholesalers, it could well be passed along to motorists as they pump their gas....more

Who is going to have the time to do this? Plus, you would need extra workers to process all the claims for refunds. Hey, I have no problem raising gas taxes if they only go for transportation costs.

Soon to be followed by the Twinkie and the Ding-Dong Tax. How about a frivoulous lawsuit tax. Electing a politician is like playing the lotto. They offer everything you want before you buy, then kick you right in the nuts and laugh when you lose.

Interesting

Since I keep all my gas reciepts and I drive a riddiculous amount (25-30k miles per year) this could help me out

I think

Yeah, if you wana take the time to do that. Most people will not though and that is what they are banking on. What I'm saying is why all the games? VA Interstate system is in BAD shape. You're going to need a lot of money to fix the problem so why not be up front with people about it?

I think most people would agree with the increase if they knew it was going to help fix the traffic problems in VA.

Interesting

Since I keep all my gas reciepts and I drive a riddiculous amount (25-30k miles per year) this could help me out

I think

It wont help you out, it just would only temporarily take money from you. In the end all you would lose would be effort, a stamp, and time away from your cash. All other gas taxes will still be there, you would just in time be refunded this particular tax nothing more. My guess is that there will be alot of "lost" refund slips, and you will have to fight tooth and nail for your 2 dollars.

I agree Johnny, this is a shady tax. Sounds like a spinoff of the rebate theory in most stores. We've all seen how competent stores have been with mail-in rebates, in the hands of the govt. it can only get worse.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/16/AR2006021602187.html

RICHMOND -- State senators in Virginia have come up with an unusual new tax increase. People who don't like it don't have to pay it. But here's the catch: They must be especially well organized.

The Senate, which hopes to raise about a billion dollars a year to spend on transportation, is seeking a 5 percent increase in the wholesale gas tax to help raise the revenue. Even though the tax is on wholesalers, it could well be passed along to motorists as they pump their gas....more

Who is going to have the time to do this? Plus, you would need extra workers to process all the claims for refunds. Hey, I have no problem raising gas taxes if they only go for transportation costs.

Huh? Faces, spinning........ :puke:

Hey, I have no problem raising gas taxes if they only go for transportation costs.

JP,

Be careful what you wish for! A lot of the adopted gas taxes (and we have a lot of them compared to Va.) in California are supposed to be used solely on transportation - however the past governors (including Arnie) have redirected these funds to pay for a "balanced" budget.

I miss the days of 80cent gas coming through Warrenton on my way home to Va. Beach from college. And this was only 7-8 years ago. Doh!

The transportation problem in VA, MD, AND DC will never be fixed, just to many people there and not enough space for all of them. I visit family once every 6 months to a year and it just seem to get moe and more crowded, There is no time that it is not in a rush hour mode down there.

Wait wait, everyone expects the DMV to organize all these tiny pieces of paper and then methodically go through them and calculate a savings? Then send out a receipt in a matter of weeks....

:rotflmao:

Whew that was a good one, DMV, methodical and organized. I needed a laugh.

216 million surplus...

And their raising taxes why?

In the 90's we had billions and they did nothing...

now that we have nothing they want to do billions worth...

whatever...

my fault:

Va. Surplus Awakens Fight On '04 Taxes

Most of $544 Million Going to Reserve Fund

By Chris L. Jenkins

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, July 22, 2005; Page B01

RICHMOND, July 21 -- Virginia ended its fiscal year with a $544 million surplus, powered by rising tax collections from a healthy real estate market and robust economy in the Washington suburbs, Gov. Mark R. Warner (D) announced Thursday.

But the rosy results for fiscal 2005, which ended June 30, intensified a debate among the candidates for governor over whether state politicians should have raised several taxes in 2004

JP,

Be careful what you wish for! A lot of the adopted gas taxes (and we have a lot of them compared to Va.) in California are supposed to be used solely on transportation - however the past governors (including Arnie) have redirected these funds to pay for a "balanced" budget.

I miss the days of 80cent gas coming through Warrenton on my way home to Va. Beach from college. And this was only 7-8 years ago. Doh!

Yes...thank you NOVA for your out of control growth and piss poor planning! :doh:

Guest Gichin13
Yeah, if you wana take the time to do that. Most people will not though and that is what they are banking on. What I'm saying is why all the games? VA Interstate system is in BAD shape. You're going to need a lot of money to fix the problem so why not be up front with people about it?

I think most people would agree with the increase if they knew it was going to help fix the traffic problems in VA.

Johnny,

Can I recommend something to you -- write to your local house delegate and tell them that you support Senate Bill 708. The Republican controlled Senate has passed this bill that will provide for $1 billion in annual transportation funding ... funding that is specifically and completely dedicated to go direct to transportation. The breakdown is complicated, but part of it is from sales tax on cars, part is abuser fees on auto use, and a big chunk is an increase in recordation taxes for purchase of real estate.

The Republican House is refusing to pass the bill on the theory they will not increase taxes. The current propose House transportation funding is a joke -- less than one-half a billion annually, and chunks of it are not permanent. The House is refusing to even consider increased grantor's taxes and they are proposing literally no alternatives.

Guest Gichin13
Yes...thank you NOVA for your out of control growth and piss poor planning! :doh:

Silly response. The reality is that job growth has been tremendous and people would have come regardless. You want a crappy economy that is losing people? That is ultimate the way to eliminate traffic, but it has some negative side effects for sure.

If the inner core had blocked all development, traffic would be even worse. More people driving through Arlington and Fairfax and living out of the boonies driving to work.

What is needed is smarter core density style development, way more funding for Metro, and do Metro corridor density like Arlington. That is why the extension of Metro out to Dulles through Tyson's is a great and smart development plan.

What is needed is smarter core density style development, way more funding for Metro, and do Metro corridor density like Arlington. That is why the extension of Metro out to Dulles through Tyson's is a great and smart development plan.

yup, suburban growth is unsustainable (if that is what you meant), or atleast make the planning make more sense. For all the money the government spends transportation ought to be the top priority, and even less can be spent if we didn't just have sprawling towns.

Silly response. The reality is that job growth has been tremendous and people would have come regardless. You want a crappy economy that is losing people? That is ultimate the way to eliminate traffic, but it has some negative side effects for sure.

If the inner core had blocked all development, traffic would be even worse. More people driving through Arlington and Fairfax and living out of the boonies driving to work.

People would have and are coming to that area...wonderful...but it was never properly planned for and growth has never been kept in check in that area. Thus I stand by my other statement...out of control growth...and piss poor planning!

I grew up in McLean. I used to go sledding on this big hill, in this kind of deserted woodsy place called Tysons Corner. It is sad to see what has happened to NoVa. Lack of planning and thought is a pisser.

I truly hate suburban sprawl. Why does everyone have to have an identical ouse on an identical quarter acre of land further and further out in order to experience the American Dream.

Ben Clines web site: Question 1:

2006 Legislative Survey

TRANSPORTATION

1. Virginia has a budget surplus of more than $2 billion. Tax collections from a strong economy are projected to continue growing at a rapid pace. Given this financial information, would you favor an increase in the state gasoline tax to fund additional road construction?

Yes No

http://www.bencline.com/?page=survey

Seems like a simple question.

Archived