Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT blurb about the CBA and 3/07/06

Oldskool

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

UNION NEEDS TO BE READY TO MOVE

As the NFL owners prepare to convene in Dallas on Thursday to take up the latest proposal from the union, NFLPA lawyer Jeffrey Kessler is throwing more rhetoric against the wall.

"The deal goes to the owners [Tuesday] for approval up or down," Kessler said in an e-mail to ESPN. "If up, we have a deal. If down, we go to the uncapped year. Nothing in between and no more negotiation."

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Let's review some of the tough talk we've heard from the union of late.

Upshaw swore up and down in Indy that he'd never agree to extend the start of the 2006 league year. And yet we're now in the middle of the second three-day extension.

Upshaw said that the percentage of total football revenues in the new deal must start with a "6". And yet the union's current proposal is at 59.5 percent.

Kessler said on Saturday that the talks were "dead as a doornail." And yet they resurrected the next day.

Read my lips. No new taxes.

Hey, Gene and Jeff. Before you push your constituents into the great unknown, keep this in mind. A league source tells us that, under the proposal currently on the table, the players will realize at least $640 million in additional money, guaranteed, over the next two years.

That's $640 million. As we've previously said, if the union pushes for the uncapped year (which seems to be less and less appealing for players by the day) there's no salary maximum . . . and no salary minimum. So for every team that blows it out financially in 2007, there easily could be two or more others that shut it down and pocket the money as protection against a possible work stoppage in 2008.

The mesasage? If the league comes back with a counter, the NFLPA needs to be ready to keep talking.

We figure that they will. After all, it's not as if the union has followed through on any of the other hollow threats it has made over the past month.

I read in the newspaper this morning the issue is the NFLPA wants to take the % of revenue on more then just the television deals and ticket sales. They want to take it on concessions & parking & multiple other things. Which is what the owners are against.

Correct me if im wrong, I live in Montreal and our newspaper tends to be wrong unless its about hockey:doh:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Hey, Gene and Jeff. Before you push your constituents into the great unknown, keep this in mind. A league source tells us that, under the proposal currently on the table, the players will realize at least $640 million in additional money, guaranteed, over the next two years.

i agree the players may come up short in the long run with no minimum. But they currently getting a higher percentage then what was offered. Although the pie is bigger, why take less of that bigger pie.... either way you make more money but not good business sense...

Why wont apple drop the price of the iPod since they get a bigger pie now....NFLPA shouldnt either

i agree the players may come up short in the long run with no minimum. But they currently getting a higher percentage then what was offered. Although the pie is bigger, why take less of that bigger pie.... either way you make more money but not good business sense...

Why wont apple drop the price of the iPod since they get a bigger pie now....NFLPA shouldnt either

Would it not be better for the players to take part of something rather than all of nothing ?

I read in the newspaper this morning the issue is the NFLPA wants to take the % of revenue on more then just the television deals and ticket sales. They want to take it on concessions & parking & multiple other things. Which is what the owners are against.

Correct me if im wrong, I live in Montreal and our newspaper tends to be wrong unless its about hockey:doh:

No, they've already agreed to that. Thats why the percentage is lower than it used to be. Right now players get 64% on just television and ticket sales but the new CBA is theoretically going to be set at 59.5% of the total revenues, which is why the cap would be higher even though the percentage is lower.

Archived