Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ign.com: Next-Gen DVD Copy-Protection Debacle

bearrock

The article is from end of February, but the search didn't reveal anything, here goes.

Next-Gen DVD Copy-Protection Debacle

Interesting parts of the article.

In perhaps the greatest disservice to the general consumer market yet perpetrated by players in the electronic entertainment industry, it has been revealed that next-generation DVD technologies (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) will only function with monitors and HDTVs with HDMI or DVI connections.

What does that mean to you? If you purchased an HDTV more than a couple of years ago, chances are you are using Component Video (the red, green, and blue plugs) to connect HD sources to your TV. Component Video is an analog transmission, which means that it can't work with the absurdly stringent AACS copy-protection Hollywood has insisted be integrated into the new formats. Thus, no HDMI input on your TV, no hi-def DVD for you. If you don't have a compatible TV, you'll either receive a massively downgraded sub-720p resolution version of the content, or what the studios are suggesting, a warning screen followed by nothing.

There's more.

Even if you've got an HDTV with HDMI or DVI inputs, it's unlikely your TV has more than one. Just about every HD source these days is best in HDMI, so what are you going to do when both your cable box and next-gen DVD player/PS3 need the same plug? HDMI switchers or enabled receivers are not cheap, or even easy to find. In addition, it would appear that every component involved in the transmission of an HD-DVD/Blu-ray signal must make use of Intel's HDCP technology. This extra level of protection works with the AACS protocols on a hardware level.

Why is this bad? Say you decided to be future proof and purchase a high-end AV receiver with HDMI connections and up-scaling capabilities. Seemed like a good idea last week, but not anymore. Unless it supports HDCP, and it doesn't, because no manufacturers have made HDCP models yet, you won't be routing your HD-DVD or Blu-ray player through it.

Bad news for PC users too.

Perhaps you're a progressive type and decided to make your media center PC centric. You're screwed too. Even if you purchased a high-end ATI or Nvidia graphics card advertised as HDCP compatible, that all it is: compatible, not compliant. HDCP chips must be bios flashed at the factory, and though these new "compatible" cards have space for a TI HDCP chip, none have them yet. In addition, every link in the chain must be HDCP ready, and only a very few PC monitors have adopted the standard. Get ready to buy both a new high-end graphics card and a new monitor if you want hi-def DVD for your PC.

So, let's recap. If you have a HD TV without HDMI or DVI input, you need a new TV. If you want to connect multiple HDMI devices, such as a PS3 and a HD-DVD player (not unlikely because if PS2 is any guide, the PS3 as a standalone Blu-ray DVD player could be suspect, not to mention the format wars), then you need either a TV with two HDMI inputs or an expensive HDMI switch (couple of hundred bucks). But thats not all. Any component playing part in the connection must have Intel's HDCP chip. That means every single AV receiver in the market is obsolete for the purposes of Next-Gen DVD. And if you want to use Next-Gen DVD in your PC, time to shell out bucks for a new graphic card and a monitor.

Why not just connect using component cable? Because the studios will apparently make it so that the Next-Gen DVD with analog (including component) connection will output sub 720p or just a black screen.

So, who's getting a next-gen DVD come later this year? Not me, that's for sure.

Actually, I think you folks who're counting your HDMI ports might be missing a point.

The way this "copy protection" thing works is, in order to play a Blu-Ray DVD, the player has to have a chip which does not yet exist in it. The chip in the player will query an identical chip in the monitor, to verify that you aren't feeding the output of the player into some evil device that is capable of recording. In order to play the DVD, your player, and the devices connected to the outputs all have to have this chip. (The chip certifies that "this device is not capable of recording".)

None of your monitors have this chip. (Y'see, I can tell y'all don't have it, because, remember, the chip doesn't exist yet.)

Actually, I think you folks who're counting your HDMI ports might be missing a point.

The way this "copy protection" thing works is, in order to play a Blu-Ray DVD, the player has to have a chip which does not yet exist in it. The chip in the player will query an identical chip in the monitor, to verify that you aren't feeding the output of the player into some evil device that is capable of recording. In order to play the DVD, your player, and the devices connected to the outputs all have to have this chip. (The chip certifies that "this device is not capable of recording".)

None of your monitors have this chip. (Y'see, I can tell y'all don't have it, because, remember, the chip doesn't exist yet.)

So does HD-DVD not require this? They are selling the Toshiba HD-XA1 now. If the chip does not exist how are they doing this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x8wezcBD8Xr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=279850&I=052HDXA1

What I'm reading is

Unless it supports HDCP, and it doesn't, because no manufacturers have made HDCP models yet, . . .

Although, looking at the context again, it may just mean that there are no compliant receivers yet.

What I'm reading is

Although, looking at the context again, it may just mean that there are no compliant receivers yet.

I believe thats it, all Tv's out now with HDMI or DVI should support the new players.

Archived