Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank You Eric Dickerson!!!!

TC4

Just got done watching former Rams/Colts/Raiders/Falcons RB and Pro Football Hall Of Famer Eric Dickerson being interviewed on ESPNews

He was asked about the Pro Football Hall Of Fame voting and he said that it is indeed political among the sports writers, and that the writers SHOULD NOT be the ones who vote on who does go into the HOF, that instead it should be the HOFers themselves

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I agree it would be better than the media voting, but then you would have player grudges to worry about.

If a player has really offended enough HOF'ers that they won't vote that player in, then he probably shouldn't be there in the first place. Bill Romanowski anyone (not staying he should be in, just an example)?

I don't see that as being any worse than some of the grudges the media has.

Great point. The media is the worst of them all and should be the very LAST people to determine HOF status. Absurd.

However, unless something drastic happens, I had officially lost all respect for the HOF after Monk's latest snub.

I don't see that as being any worse than some of the grudges the media has.

I agreed it would be better than the media voting, and players are like anyone else in the world. People hold grudges, get mad, and angry. I am sure there are some that don't think too kindly of each other.

Forgot to mention, looking out for teammates.

Could not agree more. I was saddened to see how in the interview they were only talking about why Irvin did not make it. What about Monk? His stats are better and he's been on the list for much longer. Monk even got cut from the list before Irvin. Tell me that's not the media hating on the Redskins. The writers, etc. voting is why Redskins, and other players, are snubbed every year in the pro bowl voting. We had the number one defense in the nfc in '04, and only one guy made it? HOF should be left to HOF members, I don't think grudges are a problem, cuz these guys all retired a while ago. Pro bowl voting should be left to the players and coaches.

I agree that members of the HOF should vote who gets in. Isn't that how the MLB does it? Or is it a mixture of writers and HOFers?

Furthermore, how would something like this come to fruition? Do the current players in the hall have to petition for this?

An interesting article about baseball voting but makes great point about the process of media voters

http://blogs.foxsports.com/MichaelLoos/2006/02/12/Revamp_Baseball_Hall_Of_Fame_Voting

It's time to make a change in the Baseball Hall Of Fame voting. To keep the integrity of the Hall intact, baseball needs to start weeding out voters who show us, the fans, that they haven't a big, fat, clue as to what they're doing. It's important to remember that sportswriters are, in many circumstances, journalism students who were sent to the sports department by their editors, please don't for a momemt believe that these people are in any way, shape or form, more adept than we are at deciding who is a Hall Of Famer and who isn't!

For many years, these sportswriters were the only people to see all the ball players during the course of a year. Up until television, many people didn't see a ballgame, not being close enough to a city with a team, thus relying on radio broadcasts and newsprint descriptions. Even with the advent of television, you still had to be within the signal range to watch a local game. During these years, sportswriters were the only people who had a chance to travel and see all the players during their careers. But times change.

With the advancement of cable and satellite t.v., everyone who wants to watch any game in either league can do so without much fanfare. I don't have a problem with sportswriters persay, its just the idiots, morons and self important know-it-alls that I would like to see thrown out of the vote.

Here's what I propose. If a sportswriter should cast a vote for any player who receives less than the 5% needed to stay on the ballot the next year, he should lose his voting privledges for another 10 years, as he has proven that after 10 years of watching baseball games he is just too stupid to live. At the very least, his editor could just move him over to the "garden" section of the newspaper, which would be better than watching said sportswriter cast another Hall Of Fame vote for the likes of Terry Steinbach, Terry Pendleton, Danny Tartabull, Lenny Dykstra or Chet Lemon.

Also, if a writer does NOT vote for a player receiving 95% and above of the votes, he again should lose his voting privledges for 10 years. Do we, the fan, really want a sportswriter deciding who should go into the hall if he didn't know that Nolan Ryan, George Brett, Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver and Johnny Bench were Hall Of Fame ballplayers?

It's important to remember that sportswriters are, in many circumstances, journalism students who were sent to the sports department by their editors, please don't for a momemt believe that these people are in any way, shape or form, more adept than we are at deciding who is a Hall Of Famer and who isn't!

Exactly right! There is only a handfull of schools that offer sports journalism as a major. These people who are journalism majors and get pushed into sports reporting are a huge part of the problem. I guess because they didn't have a general interest in sports, that is why they use broad speculation instead of research as a writing tool.

I agree that members of the HOF should vote who gets in. Isn't that how the MLB does it? Or is it a mixture of writers and HOFers?

Furthermore, how would something like this come to fruition? Do the current players in the hall have to petition for this?

Good question Del., I was going to ask what can we do to get something started to get the writers out and the HOF's in to do the voting. Seems only fair that you should be judged by your peers, not a bunch of non talented, never could play batmitten much less throw a horse shoe more than ten feet, sports writers.

It's important to remember that sportswriters are, in many circumstances, journalism students who were sent to the sports department by their editors, please don't for a momemt believe that these people are in any way, shape or form, more adept than we are at deciding who is a Hall Of Famer and who isn't!

Exactly right! There is only a handfull of schools that offer sports journalism as a major. These people who are journalism majors and get pushed into sports reporting are a huge part of the problem. I guess because they didn't have a general interest in sports, that is why they use broad speculation instead of research as a writing tool.

Thats da truth.

Playing the game gives players the best perspective in judging who should be a HOFer. The players in the HOF know what it takes to go over the middle in big games in the crunch time of a game, and Monk was one of the best at this. He would have been in years ago if the players voted for the HOF

Guest amaprius

Why not have a system where the HOF'ers get 50% of the vote the media 25% and the fans 25% or 60/20/20

Its always a bad idea to let fans decide who gets in the games. They never get it right and it turns out to be a popularity contest. I mean just look at the Pro-Bowl. Micheal Vick should not have been in. I mean I always go on and vote for the Redskins about 20 times. Do you want the hall of fame to be selected like that?

I would like to see a committee made up of some media members (not just writers, maybe some TV/radio analysts as well), some HOF'ers, some current players and some current and former coaches. Then you have a cross section of everything. Also, the committee places would have a rotation system with so many changing on a yearly basis.

Good question Del., I was going to ask what can we do to get something started to get the writers out and the HOF's in to do the voting. Seems only fair that you should be judged by your peers, not a bunch of non talented, never could play batmitten much less throw a horse shoe more than ten feet, sports writers.

This is a great point....in highschool football the players in most conferences actually vote for the all conference team....that's how it should be for the pro bowl...and that is how it should be for the hall of fame...the Famers know who deserves it ....greatness is measured by men not sportswriters....that's why Monk was carried off the field, and would be carried into the hall if this were a just world.

Archived