Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I love the team first attitude

chow184

Brunell is thinking Ring.

This attitude compliments the whole team concept that championships are more imporant in the long run than money.....why?....because Championships make you immortal, money doesn't.

thank you players....you've made the right choice.

Thank you gibbs....you've found the right players.

These players are RESTRUCTURING, not REFUNDING. While it's admirable, these players are getting more guaranteed money or getting paid up front. I don't think it fair to compare this to the Jets asking Pennington to re-sign for $9m less and his refusing.

Yeah this is great to see.... i mean if all of them were told "look, if you take vet min this year, we will get under the cap, be able to sign good talent to fill our holes because of the many cap cuts, and dan snyder will personally come up to your door the second the uncapped year starts and basically pay them their 2006 salary, some bonus money for putting the team first, and hopefully their super bowl championship rings..... all works out perfectly to me, not sure if that is possible in the NFL world though..... Its def asking a lot to cut them to about 1mil for the year but if they are guarenteed the money next year and some bonus when things are uncapped..... who wouldnt do it to win.

Who says anyone took a paycut? I am happy they did this, but lets be honest here guys, they are not losing one dime by restructuring. Now if I see tommorow all these guys returned part of their signing bonuses, then yeah I'll give them an extra pat on the back

I am glad though that they went ahead and got themselves more money upfront and helped the cap

Right, the only thing they did was probably get their money up front, therefore they won't be getting a whole lot later on. Basically meaning they need to save their money instead of going out and buying up the world. Folks don't be fooled, this is still there job, they are not going to be giving money back. It might help the team as far as the cap, but no on is giving anything back. And as it has been said before the team has cash almost to burn so they can do things like this. So I know everyone loves Joe Gibbs but lets look at it a little more closely.

Joe Gibbs or not, ain't nobody going to be giving back money when you are at work!!!

By pushing money back to the latter years of the contract, they certainly risk losing money through the inevitable cut, especially players like Brunell, who only has probably only two years left in the league.

Clinton Portis also lost the last three years of his contract, for better or for worse.

Clinton Portis was never going to see those last years of his contract anyway. His base salaries were off the charts in those years. The Skins would have to cut him or restructure at that juncture anyway. So, he took more money up front and agreed to be a UFA at 27 - which he was probably going to be anyway.

It's still not clear to me why we are praising guys for making themselves richer. The Skins are in the fortunate position of not caring about how much guaranteed money they spend. So the players are taking more guaranteed money to reduce their cap cost.

If the players were making themselves richer, then why don't all players try to restructure their contracts all the time? They get more money guaranteed, but is over more years. Anything can and will happen in those years. Why do people take the lump sum in the lottery? They get more money if they take it over the years. The reason is the same: you don't know what will happen in a couple years. Heck, if there is a new cba, the skins could be in trouble next year, meaning people like brunell, springs, and jansen could face getting cut and losing a ton of money. The players are all well aware of the dangers in restructuring as the deal involves less money upfront. They are taking pay cuts in the short term, but not in the long term. If it wasn't a team-oriented move, but a selfish move, than why would the players be rallying around each other and why would Brunell come out and say it's for the team and he hopes others follow suit. By your logic that would be at T.O.'s level of selfishness. In any case, the players are doing what they can to get this team under the cap and allow us to improve ourselves via free agency and the draft. We are all praising them for helping this team, and you cannot deny what they are doing is helping this team.

Archived