Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If there is no cap in 07 . . . ?

Slateman

My logic leads me to think that in '07 we could pay off some people that we owe that are no longer on our team (assuming we have to take cap hits for players that we will have to release this year) and we could pay bonus straight out and not have to amortize them over multiply years, which would make more room in the cap that they will bring back after the '08 season once we win the Super Bowl three years in a row. :cool:

This it too logical to be legal or possible for that matter. I am sure there are some loop holes that would prohibit this from happening. :doh:

That 30% only applies if the colective bargining agreement is still intact.

The CBA extends through the 2007 season, so the 30 percent rule will apply.

The first "out" would be in 2008, but who knows whether that will be capped or uncapped -- or even if there will be a 2008 season, if the labor dispute blows up in the NFL's face.

What is that?

Plenty of info on that in other threads. Basically it means that a players salary in the uncapped season cannot excede 30% of his 2006 salary. Given how we have been structuring our contracts, this gives us very little wiggle room. With no CBA setting a new generous cap number, cutting players is the only way to meet the cap.

Archived