Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jerome Bettis On Quite Frankly

CrypticVillain

Last night I was watching Quite Frankly and my main man Bettis was on thier. So I was watching it and enjoying it like I normally do because Stephen A. Smith tells it like it is. So he ask the Bus a question, " Was there any team you were going to play for other the the Steelers?". The Bus Replied, " After my first year with the Steelers the Washington Redskins offered me a lot of money. So I went to Cowher and asked him if he can work with me I will stay". They did and he stayed. The reason I am posting this is to see would anybody wanted the Bus in I think 96 or would have our running backs that year would have been better. Thing back to that year if you can becasue I was only 7 and I can not remeber that much stuff about the Redskins that year. Feedback Please.

Last night I was watching Quite Frankly and my main man Bettis was on thier. So I was watching it and enjoying it like I normally do because Stephen A. Smith tells it like it is. So he ask the Bus a question, " Was there any team you were going to play for other the the Steelers?". The Bus Replied, " After my first year with the Steelers the Washington Redskins offered me a lot of money. So I went to Cowher and asked him if he can work with me I will stay". They did and he stayed. The reason I am posting this is to see would anybody wanted the Bus in I think 96 or would have our running backs that year would have been better. Thing back to that year if you can becasue I was only 7 and I can not remeber that much stuff about the Redskins that year. Feedback Please.

Like every other talented player Norv's had his hands on, the Bus would have been a Bust in the B&G.

Stephen Davis

YEAR TEAM G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD

1996 Washington Redskins 12 0 23 139 6.0 39t 2

1997 Washington Redskins 14 6 141 567 4.0 18 3

1998 Washington Redskins 16 12 34 109 3.2 12 0

1999 Washington Redskins 14 14 290 1405 4.8 76t 17

2000 Washington Redskins 15 15 332 1318 4.0 50t 11

2001 Washington Redskins 16 16 356 1432 4.0 32 5

Although he played behind Pro-Bowler Terry Allen, and saw limited action, Stephen showed glimpses of brilliance. Totaling only 23 carries for the season, he racked up 139 yards, which is a whopping 6.04 yard per carry average. His 39-yard touchdown run against the Giants was the team's second longest of the year.

So it looks like it was Terry Allen.

This is from http://www.allperson.com/allperson/Legend/0000000042.asp

This is familiar.

I think I remember the Skins being interested in trying to get Bettis and when they failed, they resigned Terry Allen. I believe this was after the 1996 season.

Looking back, that would have been a great move if we signed him, but a cold one too. TA put up back to back 1300 yard seasons for us and scored 21 TDs in 96 and we still were looking for an upgrade.

This is familiar.

I think I remember the Skins being interested in trying to get Bettis and when they failed, they resigned Terry Allen. I believe this was after the 1996 season.

Looking back, that would have been a great move if we signed him, but a cold one too. TA put up back to back 1300 yard seasons for us and scored 21 TDs in 96 and we still were looking for an upgrade.

As good as Allen's resurgance was, the clock on him was ticking down and everybody knew it. I can only imagine what Bettis would have down if Allen got 1300+ yards in this offense, but with the QB situtaion being what it was in 96, I don't think the Bus would have helped a whole lot.

For the 1997 season, Terry Allen was 29, Bettis was 25, and Davis was 23. In 1996 Allen gained 1353 yds, Bettis gained 1431 yds and Davis gained 139 yds. At that point, Allen was getting up there in age for a running back, Bettis was a proven commidity with a number of good years left, and Davis was unproven, although he had shown flashes of excellence. It's not surprising that the Skins would have been interested in Bettis after the 1996 season. Too bad we weren't able to sign him. After Jack Kent Cooke died in April of 1997, our team was in limbo for several years and we had no charter to go after big-name stars until 1999 when Snyder took over.

Archived