Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mississippi to put rapists on roadside billboards....

TC4

I normally side with the ACLU on these kinds of things, but i say we do it in cases of statutory rape, child molestation/rape, and at the discretion of the jury. it'd be a fun conversation starter and a great pick-me-up on road trips.

and i don't think a 15 yr old can be prosecuted for having sex with a 14 yr old... only adults, isn't it?

If you have committed a serious act of violence against someone, and the state has prosecuted and convicted you, the rest of the state has a right to know. These pictures are available on web sites and in the paper. Its just another form of communicating the information. I understand the intent is somewhat different, but still if these folks were prosecuted and convicted of serious violent crimes, why not.

Guest sith lord

What do we all say in this country? Everybody has a right to a fair trial and if convicted, they serve their debt to society. I'm just not a fan of public humiliation. Also, what about the victom? Do you think they want to see their attacker on a billboard? They probably wouldn't want to see his/her face ever again.

What do we all say in this country? Everybody has a right to a fair trial and if convicted, they serve their debt to society. I'm just not a fan of public humiliation. Also, what about the victom? Do you think they want to see their attacker on a billboard? They probably wouldn't want to see his/her face ever again.

Fair enough. If the victim objects then the picture should not go up. Now about the public humiliation, I don't have an issue with that. There are photos on the web, in newspapers, on TV and I don't see a real difference. Perhaps a little public humiliation would serve a purpose. Again, I'm talking about people convicted of a violent sexual crime.

Uh, #1, no, I don't think it was part of the sentance. I think a lot of states decided to do it retroactively.

#2, I believe that the term "sex offender" is getting stretched a lot, too.

Example: I understand that there at least was, 10 years ago, a guy serving 30 years in jail for performing oral sex on his wife, in their home.

Seems these folks were having sex in their apartment, and some kids were peeking through the window, and their parents heard the kids talking about it. Parents call the cops, and announce that Something Must Be Done.

DA investigates, and decided he can't prosecute for having sex in public, because while their curtains were open, the kids had to slither under some shrubery to get at the window. So he decided to prosecute for sodomy.

Conviction. But it seems the state had some new mandatory sentancing rules for sex offenders. 30 years. (I hope he's been released by now.)

Now, I can live with notifying the public when somebody who's been convicted of kidnapping, raping, and murdering eight-year-olds is in the area. OTOH, I don't think the guy above (the wife "sodomizer") deserves, for the rest of his life, for public-minded vigilantes to be posting his picture, with the words "Sex Offender", and directions to his house and his work, all over town.

Same thing for the 15-year-old boy who has sex with a 14-year-old girl. Does he deserve to have the words "Child Rapist" (interesting pun, there) tatooed on his forehead?

Some "sex offenders" deserve things like that. Others don't.

They probably dont have enough billboards for EVERY convicted sex offender. So they can just put your standard run-of-the-mill rapists and child molesters on the ones they do have. Probably wont have room for your ONE example that you believe refutes the whole premise.

For me, im not looking at the abstract "what if this one possibility happens" oh-no!

Im thinking about this ****ing ******* that lives 1.9 miles away from me:

http://sex-offender.vsp.state.va.us/cool-ice/default.asp?Category=VSP&Service=VSP_SOF_Record&RRG=13808

Convicted of taking "indecent liberites with children." THREE ****ING TIMES.

Guest sith lord

Another point I think everyone's missing is if you put their faces on billboards, aren't you taking away their civil rights? Lets be honest here, if you owned a buisness, would you hire a rapist/molester who's face is on a billboard? I don't think so.

Ask the women or children who's lives have been violated what justice would be. I have a feeling their answer might be different.

That's exactly why victims don't do the sentencing in this country.

Anyway, is this really what Mississippi wants to be doing? Announcing their problems to tourists?

"Welcome to Mississippi, land of the rapists!"

Awhile back there was talk of chemical castration as an option to serving jailtime (the convicts option). If it was up to me, the convicted rapist (not statuatory) would lose his jewels, one eye and one hand. Think of the deterent-fear of losing the other eye and hand along with the stigma of public knowledge that a you were a two time convict. you couldn't even beg for a living.

Isn't that what Sadaam use to do when violators were caught and sent before the judge? Interesting idea :doh:

And to those people, I would say :stfu:

When you raped that young lady, or child, or whatever thing you WEREN'T suposed to, you lost your right to privacy. STFU. I'm sure this will anger a few people here, but as one of my co-workers said today: "Liberals would rather die than say anything that MIGHT offend someone". Why not protect my rights, hell, my daughters' rights at the expense of someone who (should have) lost theirs? Great idea, in my book.

And the righties out there who obviously don't have any respect or admiration of the judicial system in allowing the individual to pay the price by serving his prison sentence or whatever the punishment, to put the law into the legislators hands and extend the punishment. I don't have any respect for these people but will they ever get a fair shot in life subsequent to serving their time or are they doomed for life, especially when considering what this guy wants to do with their photos and billboards?

Not what the three bodies of government were set up for, IMO!

Stupid idea. How about having the punishment fit the crime. Child Molestation should carry a mandatory sentence of life in jail. I wouldn't rule out capital punishment either, but that would never fly.

now punishment fitting the crime, now wouldn't that mean they get molested themselves? Or how about subjecting them to extreme mental torture?

now punishment fitting the crime, now wouldn't that mean they get molested themselves? Or how about subjecting them to extreme mental torture?

Or have someone bigger and stronger than they are forcibly rape them?

An eye for an eye.

OH NO, but putting them up on a billboard is distasteful. Stop, youre making my eyes tear up.

Archived