Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rottweiler or Labrador Retriever???

Johnny Punani2

I hear that! I worked at an animal hospital which constantly had dogs from the pound there and it was so sad. They are so many good dogs out there that need a home. It was all I could do not to bring home a new dog everyday I felt so bad for them all. People do some very sick things to their dogs. It was certainly an eye opening experience to work there.

Get a dog any breed or mutt from any local shelter or rescue. We evaluate all of our hounds from BROOD for 2 weeks before placing them to determine if there is any behavior issues, health issues and train them with basic behaviors. They are the best dogs!

Go to www.petfinder.org

And you can look up any Breed in any area.

I would say first look at a shelter ... My dad has owned a cane corso a dogo argentino, both were great and beyond formidable rare breeds and both cost over a 1500 bucks - but both pitbull mixes I own now were just a good. One is a neurotic and has some issues but that is my fault, the other one I found in a parking lot and he is incredible - due to the fact that we got him properly trained.

Sounds that you got some concerns though about protecting your family, and the Rotty can do a much better job of that then the Lab. Hands down. Its not even an argument. Expecting a Lab to protect would be like asking an Offensive lineman to cover Santana Moss...they are not made to do it.

Sure a Lab will bark, alert, and show teeth, but you toss him a milk bone and he is your best friend. A well trained Rotty will not be that easy to coax. And as far as family goes, a Rotty will die for you and your kids. He will be weary of stangers, but he won't make them uncomfortable. You just got to make sure to socialize the rotty early and often, and make damn sure he knows that you are HIS BOSS. Not the other way around.

If you like big dogs and have room, get yourself a Bloodhound. Absolutely the best dog out there.

My kids literally ride it like a horse!

A saw a story on TV once about a police bloodhound that was nuts. A girl got kidnapped and the next day they brought in the bloodhound. The dog followed the girl's scent (who was in a car, btw) to the highway, 50 miles down the highway and led them within a half a mile of the girl before they forced the dog to stop because it was so exhausted. I knew they had a keen sense of smell but damn, following a day old scent of someone who was travelling at 65mph in a car? That's insane.

What I meant to say was "except you, of course."

Yeah... that was it... ;) :laugh:

Heheh.

Really, don't be knocking the designer dogs. After all, every dog breed in existence is a creation of selective breeding in past centuries (except maybe the Canaan Dog and the Basenji). Thats what dog breeds are.

Labradoodles are really a great combination of dog traits. Plus, if it wasn't the Labradoodle, I would have had to get a Bichon Frise or Maltese or something horrible like that because of the allergies :yikes:

Heheh.

Really, don't be knocking the designer dogs. After all, every dog breed in existence is a creation of selective breeding in past centuries (except maybe the Canaan Dog and the Basenji). Thats what dog breeds are.

Labradoodles are really a great combination of dog traits. Plus, if it wasn't the Labradoodle, I would have had to get a Bichon Frise or Maltese or something horrible like that because of the allergies :yikes:

That's one of the things I love about Siberian Huskies. They were bred for their instincts, smarts and skills not for their looks and they were developed by a nomadic, native tribe of people. There is something really unique about a dog that's entirely domesticated to people but in a completely different style of living and way of life than just about any other dog out there. It makes for one unique, free spirited and intelligent dog. It's just really neat to see what a dog who's history is with a people so much closer to nature than us is like.

I've been tempted to get a Bichon to keep the Stepmother away. I think four cats is almost there... :laugh:

Both can be great dogs, you just need to make sure that which ever one you get is properly trained and socialized. With either one, its best that you either go to a solid breeder with a good reputation (I would find a message boards for the breeds and talk to people first), or, even better, find a shelter/rescue that does temperment testing and save a life in the process. If you get an older dog (2 years or so) from a rescue, you also will have a better idea of its temperment and get to skip all the fun stuff...like housebreaking.

Do not buy a lab simply because you think it will be "safer" versus another breed. Labs have issues as well as other breeds and people have been seriously injured because they did not see the need to worry about temperment with a lab. They are large dogs with a lot of energy and require just as much training and socialization as any other dog. Labs do get along better with other animals, so that is something you need to take into consideration as well if you have cats. Labs also tend to be better received in general public, which is a consideration if you plan to take it to dog parks, etc.

Rotties can cost you your homeowners insurance (and Geico even has some rules about rotties when it comes to their car insurance...why I have no idea). If you do get a rottie, you may need to find a company that does not decriminate against certain breeds, such as Allstate or State Farm (both look at the individual dog, not the breed). Since you are in VA, there should not be a law issues since they do not have any BSLs. With a rottie you will need to check local laws if you deicide to take the dog on vacation with you (a consideration for many breeds of dogs atm :( )

Most dogs will be ok with kids as long as its trained and socialized (and so are your kids *grin*).

There are also many other breeds you can take a look at that fit what you are looking for. I would suggest getting a female (and making sure it is spayed) as they tend to be a little calmer than males. I would avoid smaller dogs since you have kids - what other dogs would find fun can make a small dog very nervous. Because of the age of your sons, some breeds are not good ideas. For example, many rescuses will not allow families with kids under 6 to adopt ****er spaniels.

Some suggestions I would have breed-wise is the poodle (miniture or standard, not the toy), Soft Coated Wheatons (good with kids and good watch dogs, but a terrier so needs training badly and requires grooming - does not shed), or consider adopting a retired greyhound (again, if you have cats, can be an issue).

I've got 3 boxers and would't trade em for the world. I live in northern VA and experience temp changes all year and the dogs are fine in all temps; they've been playing in the snow that the recent storm dropped. They're good guard dogs but even better family dogs and are amazing with kids. I dont know if i'll ever have another breed because i think boxers are the best out there.

I've got 3 boxers and would't trade em for the world. I live in northern VA and experience temp changes all year and the dogs are fine in all temps; they've been playing in the snow that the recent storm dropped. They're good guard dogs but even better family dogs and are amazing with kids. I dont know if i'll ever have another breed because i think boxers are the best out there.

when I retire (I travel to much now) I'm going to get a boxer. there like a mini-mastiff. One thing about those dogs, if they kiss you, you'll need towel

to clean yourself up.

Whats crazy is how everyone seems so limited in there suggestions. There are so many dogs out there besides boxers?

I swear, it is like if this guy asked about whether he should get a dodge or ford, and the only suggestion he gets besides those two is a chevy.

Sure some breeds are more accessible, cheaper, and more popular, but its a shame that there are so many other breeds from other country's beside Germany and the US get no love.

Mastiff breeds are incredilbe dogs, Cane Corso's from Italy are incredible, there are some awsome dogs from Spain and Ireland. Sure they are considered "rare" or "exotic" in some circles, but they are available all over.

Mastiff breeds are incredilbe dogs, Cane Corso's from Italy are incredible, there are some awsome dogs from Spain and Ireland. Sure they are considered "rare" or "exotic" in some circles, but they are available all over.

Hey now, I suggested an Irish dog! :)

I have a boxer too and he is the best dog I've ever had. So much personaltiy, great with kids, very athletic. In the house he is like a couch cushion, sleeps all day. Get him outside and he's a maniac. My only word of caution about this breed is that they are very strong willed and stuborn. If you want a super obedient dog your probably better off with a lab.

Labs are great family dogs, but most will show the crook where the jewels are kept.

This is a common misconception...Labs are undyingly loyal, and if they can sense you are in danger, they WILL protect you. They are very smart dogs, and just because 99.9999% of the time they have the sweetest temperment in the world, doesn't mean that they won't defend you with their life.

Every time I went camping with my dog, if any animal came near the campsite it was all growls and raised hackles...I'm convinced if it had been a predator of some sort, she'd have protected us. For me, I'd rather have a guard dog that only got serious when it was really needed...:)

I would be scared as crap to get a Rottie with children...

I think you need to be careful with both breeds. Being as popular as they are, there are some very crappy breeders out there and you need to be careful.

Labs are very destructive until they're about 2 years old. They chew/tear up EVERYTHING.

This is not always true...plus, they can be cage trained most of the time. And its not just labs, a lot of dogs will chew when they are puppies. You just have to make sure you have tons of chew toys, pigs ears and rawhide available for the dog to chew instead of your shoes. And be mindful of where you put stuff...:2cents:

And for the record, I had a CAT that would chew my shoelaces...so its not just dogs!! The friggin laces on my shoes were all shredded because of that dam thing!! :laugh:

Archived