Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rottweiler or Labrador Retriever???

Johnny Punani2

The wife and I are talking about getting a new member of the family (puppy). Reasons are we both like dogs and had two dogs before (small dogs though) and my wife would feel safer with a dog in the house at night (I work nights).

She wants to get a Chocolate Lab because she feels it would be more of a family dog and be more tolerant of younger children (I have two sons 5 and 3). However, I think a Rottweiler would be a better choice because it would be a better gaurd dog and still would be a good family pet.

Anyone know a good deal about both breeds?

Get a Labradoodle (mix of lab and standard poodle) or a goldendoodle (golden retriever and standard poodle). They don't shed at all, they don't smell, they don't drool, they are smart, and they have a retriever personality - i.e. great with kids. They are a reasonable size and will bark at strangers who come to the door, but like any retriever, they won't really attack anyone.

Do you really need a serious guard dog like a Rottie where you live? 99 percent (or more) of Rotties are great, but that one percent that is poorly socialized can really do some damage to an adult, much less a little kid.

Huly and others are going to come jumping to the defense of the Rottie, so I wanted to get my post in first. :D

goldendoodle-0009.jpg

I have a Choc Lab. He is awesome! His name is Champ. He is great with my 3 year old daughter, and she absolutely loves him. He lets her push and pull him around and never, ever reacts. He would never bite. Labs are usually very smart dogs. They are very instinctive, too. He could easily be trained into a hunting dog.

BUT...if you are looking for a guard dog....a Chocolate Lab will probably not be a great guard dog. I am sure they could be trained to be, but mine...if a guy walked into my house, my dog would not react. He does bark at strange cars when he is out in the yard. But when people he doesn't know walk into the yard, he doesn't do anything. He just follows them around like he does everyone. I can't get him to leave my side though. When I am outside, I sometimes trip over him, literaly, because he walks so close to me.

I can't speak about a Rotty, but a Choc Lab is a GREAT family dog.

Beware of the hip displacia though! Get your dogs family history. (If you get a full bread one) Hip displacia is terrible. It deteriorates the dogs hips to where he can't walk anymore. When I was a kid, we had a yellow lab. He got HD and we had to have him out to sleep :( .

But I strongly suggest a chocolate lab!!!

I'd go with the Lab...they are fine guard dogs when you or your family's life is in danger, and they won't scare the crap out of your guests.

But word of advice -- I'd go with a Golden Lab...Chocolate and Black Labs tend be a bit on the nutty side...not always, but moreso than Goldens...:2cents:

My parents got a rottweiler around the time I was born. Man I loved that dog-- I'll probably get another one once I have enough room and time to take care of one.

... sigh-- I still remember he used to go after the mailman everyday. heh... Used the last bit of his energy to go after him one last time.

I have a beagle now. I wouldn't suggest getting one unless you like a lovable whiney needy type dog. Plus your neighbors think you torture animals cause of the barking.

those are sissy dogs, man. Get an akita.

Thought about it. My Uncle has two and my wife's best friend has one. Very big dogs. Prob a little too big for being an inside dog IMO. Guard Dogs? HAHA! The first time I saw them over at my Uncle's house they just came up to me with this "what's up?" look on their face.

I've heard they don't like other dogs at all and very aggresive towards any dog that strays into their territory. We have a couple of dogs in the neighborhood that cruise around the area. I wouldn't want to find out what would happen if I got an Akita and those dogs came into my yard again.

Lab all the way. They're great all around dogs. Very smart and easy to train. The nice thing about labs is that their sociable meaning they pick up on your mood towards people and follow your lead. One thing to note about labs, if they're confined for example behind a gate, they may get defensive towards someone they haven't seen before and nip.

Rotts are nice dogs but tend to be more independent. Good gaurd dogs, but most people feel intimidated by them which may set them off at parties.

Have you considered a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

If you have never had a large breed,you might be better off with a medium frame dog.

My Rott/cattledog mix eats like a horse and is about the size of one ;)

Great dog though.

Our Chocolate Lab is a great dog, but hardly a guard dog.

Had a Doberman when I was younger. He was a great dog until about 5 years old, then something happened and he got kind of nutty.

We also currently have a Border Collie and it is the best dog I've ever had. VERY loyal, very protective, great with kids, and on the smaller side of medium. I think they average about 50 pounds or so. Smartest dog I've ever personally been around.

I haven't had a dog before but I always read up on them as I plan on getting one in the future. Lab is a great dog but not a guard dog by any means. Rott is a great guard dog and loyal to his owners but everybody else better watch out.

I say get a Boxer its a happy medium

my family has had both labs and a rott. rotts are great dogs but can sometimes be unpredictible, if you have really young kids i think you should get a lab. one of m labs, was always very protective of the house as well, they are the perfect family dog.

Lab, Lab, Lab!!!

None of those fancy, foo foo mutts mixed with Lab that yuppies are paying top-dollar for, either. You can Lab mixes at your local shelter that need homes and will be grateful for a good one.

Labs are faithful, great with kids and gentle with any animal you keep around. I have a Black Lab I love to death. Couple caveats about them, though:

Not the greatest watchdog, but I'm sure they can be trained. Too friendly.

They like to play and need activity at least once per day. I walk mine three times daily. An inactive Lab is a bored Lab is a meddlesome Lab. They will get into stuff if they don't get physical activity.

Break up their food at least twice per day. They tend to gorge. If there's food, they'll eat it.

Very affectionate dogs and do follow your mood very well. Great all-around family members. Very protective of kids, even if they're not the best watchdogs initially. Mine gets a long with my cats very well and doesn't like when they fight.

Labs can be both a guard dog and a great family.

My yellow Lab, Jack, runs a solid 120 lbs and is great around the house. He wouldn't hurt a flea and even gingerly sniffed my friend's cat when he came over, BUT one night, a friend and I were drinking beer and shooting darts in my basement and a drunken wrestling match broke out (completely for fun) and after my buddy pushed me against the wall, Jack leapt from the couch he was sleeping on and pinned my friend against the wall, paws on his chest.

It completely surprised both of us

Labs are great dogs, but by no means a guard dog. They are too friendly. I have a half boxer / Half rotty and he's an angel. He's the size of a rotty, but has all boxer color. You also might want to consider a Mastiff. They are freindly and they are very protective of the family. The were bred in England to guard castles.

On a practical side of things, you should probably check with your homeowners insurance agent to make sure they will insure you with a Rott.

Most companies in FLA now will no longer insure a house if a Rott resides there (among other breeds).

Count me as another vote for a Labradoodle.

Dobermans are actually a very good family pet, far more well behaved than a Rottweiler. I'd go with the Lab, they always seem like really reliable dogs. Dobermans really are good dogs though from everyone I have talked to. I plan on getting one when I probably get out of college.

Labs are great family dogs, but most will show the crook where the jewels are kept. Rotties make good guard dogs tend to be over-the-top in that dept.

and I wouldn't have one, especially with children.

I've had a mastiff, great dog in both depts. but unless you have a big house, they get in the way.

I've had two German Shepherds, great dogs, but be prepared to take them thru training as they tend to be too smart for thier own good, get a female

as they are more content to stay around the house, family, yard and less

likely to go awol on you. Shepherds do shed and need to be groomed.

So for short haired working dogs, I would choose #1 female Doberman, red color and leave the ears and tail long (less intimadating for guests etc...). Great dogs, get a frizbee and be amazed by the athletic skills of

a doby for hours a day.

sid2.jpg

#2 Stardard Boxer, color- marble or black and tan. Very affectionate and well behaved family dog, manageable size and great guard dog with discretion.

7210,1113915744,3.jpg

#3 if you want a retriever (sporting dog) go with the Chesapeake Bay Retiever. A bit larger that a standard lab. And smarter imo, and a better guard dog.

rocky-collage-1.jpg

#3 if you want a retriever (sporting dog) go with the Chesapeake Bay Retiever. A bit larger that a standard lab. And smarter imo, and a better guard dog.

This is what my Sister and her Husband have. Bit more husky, but mainly in the torso. They got him specifically for hunting fowl, then my Brother-in-Law wound up never actually taking him out... :laugh:

Still has all the good tendencies of Labs, too, like being a great family dog. Not the most graceful of dogs, though. Kind of like a bull in a china shop, so make sure he has some room. I guess you can say the same about "regular" Retrievers, though.

I still crack up when watching my Lab have fun. My Stepbrother has a beautiful red (more like clay-colored) Doberman that is so graceful when she's outdoors, although she's not as fast as my Lab when at full-steam. Not as quick, either, but that's not the purpose of a Doberman. Then I contrast her grace with how my Lab plods around when he's hightailing it... :laugh:

Archived