Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

need speeding ticket advice

syl58

so i was speeding in fairfax county a while ago. so the cop writes in 46.2-870 (speeding in general) as the section in the law. However, when i went to see how much it would cost, it was changed to 46.2-874(speeding in residential which i was actually doing).

is it possible to argue that i only have to pay for what code he wrote in or am i doomed to pay the 250+ ticket??!!q

Please take it from someone who's had a LOT of experience with speeding tickets...

Go to court and fight it, and then offer to go to defensive driving school in exchange for getting the ticket released.

Depending upon the judge you get, this will work. It worked for me down in Stafford, but I have to warn you I was caught speeding in Fairfax once and I get to court and the little old lady in front of me had forgotten to hang her handicap pass on her car one day and got a ticket and the judge literally told her "tough luck". I heard that and was pretty sure my 70 in a 50 wasn't gonna get thrown out ;)

But if you want some more advice, PM me. I have a TON, trust me! :)

Ugh...Fairfax County is the worst. I myself had a question similar to that, as I got a speeding ticket, but my first name was misspelled in the system. No dice.

I think you have a pretty valid argument...I would bring it up in court (nicely). When the judge asks you how you plead to the charges of speeding in a residential area, say not guilty, and then show her the original ticket. Although there might be some loophole whereas cops are allowed to edit the charge for up to a certain amount of time or something...:whoknows: Its a long shot you'll get out of it, but no harm in trying.

If the above doesn't work, use SassySkinsChick's advice...golden. Or offer to community service. It might suck picking up garbage, but not points on your license, higher insurance and $250 fine sucks!!! :laugh:

well, im gonna try and get it continued because i am stuck in the mountains of blacksburg right now, not going to be back until spring break. well the details are basically i was talking to my mom for a sec and a cop with a radar at the bottom of a hill caught me doing 44 in a 25, but i swear if you know what old courthouse road looks like, it definately doesnt look like a 25. so basically the difference between a residential vs general ticket is 250 + 7 per mi over (19 over) or just 5 per mi over, both require court costs of about 70 bucks.

so i was speeding in fairfax county a while ago. so the cop writes in 46.2-870 (speeding in general) as the section in the law. However, when i went to see how much it would cost, it was changed to 46.2-874(speeding in residential which i was actually doing).

is it possible to argue that i only have to pay for what code he wrote in or am i doomed to pay the 250+ ticket??!!q

Is not much you can do. The charge 46.2-870 (speeding in general) can be charged to you as your infraction. Most police officer will charge you with a charge that carries the most in fines. Obviously, the 46.2-874 has a much lesser fine than the 46.2-870.

Good luck, buddy!

LOL, I just got my first speeing ticket in fairfax. The officer was nice; he reduced it from goin 85mph in a 55mph zone, on I-495, to 70mph, I dont have to show up in court... I can just pay the fine. Its $127. Thank God the cop who stopped me was cool. Was a highway cop, not a Fairfax county cop, who wont let you off for anything.

But you have a valid argument, you could try. Just dont get a lawyer, it will cost more than just paying the ticket.

And I think you mean 46.2-878.2. Which is flat $200 fine and $7 for each additional mile over the speed limit. That sucks man. Good Luck.

sorry i believe the correct code was 872, not 874, it is speeding residential, which carries a fine of 250 automatically+7 per mi over plues the 70ish for court fees. Now i was going 44 in a 25, so thats like an extra hundred something. You see, for about 400 dollars and insurance increase, it is something definately worth fighting, or to at least get reduced. Some of the speed limits really have to be updated because this so called residential had 4 lanes and people go 50 on it.

don't speed, that solves the problem altogether, i love goin fast as much as the next guy, but im not stupid

Archived