Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports.com: Where will these free agents go?

EnFoRcEr_uPu

I apologize ahead of time is this is a re-post, I did not see it on the board already. An excellent read though!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5316540

"Antwaan Randle El...As such, he will be incredibly overpaid by one of the many teams in need of a legitimate number two wide receiver. That sounds right up the Washington Redskins' alley to me."

"John Abraham...The shoulder injury to Drew Brees has quieted any Phillip Rivers for Abraham trade talk, so let's send him to Washington."

Heck of a read, they also list the free agents from best to worst(opinion-based obvsiously). Here's the link to that if you're interested:

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2006

I just find it hard to believe that we can take care of both DE and WR issues in Free Agency, but if they do then we can go after Jeff King as our TE in the draft.:helmet::helmet::helmet:

What's Jeff King's story? I haven't heard much about him....

I'd love to be able to take care of our needs in FA so we could go after a playmaking TE, that would really put our O in high gear :cheers:

I just find it hard to believe that we can take care of both DE and WR issues in Free Agency, but if they do then we can go after Jeff King as our TE in the draft.:helmet::helmet::helmet:

Why would we want Jeff King? There are at least 6-7 TE's that are better than him. King isn't even an upgrade over Cooley.

Why would we want Jeff King? There are at least 6-7 TE's that are better than him. King isn't even an upgrade over Cooley.

king is a play maker and has great hands, can take a hit and hang on to the ball. he would be an upgrade over royal not cooley. we would not get a te to replace cooley, everyone should know that, it would be for royals replacement

Gator Bowl Player Profile

Virginia Tech TE Jeff King

A steady, yet unspectacular player, such as King, won’t win any notoriety contests, but in many ways he is the Hokies’ offensive MVP and the personification of what it means to be a complete tight end. He’s 6-5, 255 pounds and can do it all from his position. He blocks, he catches and he even makes contributions on special teams. Best of all, he’s clutch and hardly ever misses an assignment. When Tech quarterbacks were near the goal line or needed a first down the past two years, No. 90 was always in their crosshairs. And why not? King runs tight routes and never drops a pass. This season, he’s pulled down a team-leading five touchdown receptions, giving him a school-record 11 for his career. And yet, he may be even more valuable when Tech keeps the ball on the ground. King is akin to having a sixth offensive lineman, who graded out 90% or higher in every game this fall, and administered 37 knockdown blocks, a huge number for a tight end with his pass-catching skills. Unlike a Marcedes Lewis or a Leonard Pope, King isn’t going to floor anyone with his speed or leaping ability at next February’s combine. The NFL, however, is going to love his production, work ethic and penchant for consistently locating and taking advantage of the soft spot on an opposing defense.

He might be a good option in the 3rd rnd, and he might even fall to the 5th because of all the publicised talent ahead of him. That way we can use our 2nd rnd pick on a DE or WR depending who falls.

the sports talk radio circuit this week has been saying that Al Saunders will coach up our current crop of WRs, meaning we don't make such a splash in the free agency

Abraham seems like a perfect fit for such a great defense, and then we'd draft a WR

I will bet you we sign at least 1 WR in free agency. I happen to know Janet Jones Gretzsky and she knows a guy who knows a guy. :laugh:

We're talking about a 2nd TE correct? Or did we forget about Cooley?

I keep seeing these kind of comments on various threads. Why do people think that going after someone from the large crop of pass-catching TEs means we are looking to "upgrade over Cooley"?

Cooley is the H-Back. He has his position which is different from a pure TE. The TEs many of us are interested in would serve the purpose of augmenting the passing attack by making available an additional big target (some of them can even stretch the field a bit).

Just like Joe Gibbs revitalized the H-Back position when he came back, some of us are hoping he and Al Saunders will find a TE that provides them with the options that Tony Gonzalez provided in KC.

To everyone who says, "there aren't enough balls to go around", a 2WR, TE, H-Back, RB set is perfectly reasonable and would provide multiple options for formations and plays -- who's going to get the ball? Cooley or Byrd/Lewis/Fasano/Klopfenstein/King/etc? How about Moss or #2...?

I know some of you think Royal is fine, and, you are right he is "fine." But we need more than that. We need someone that defenses will have to respect as a legitimate threat to catch the ball every down that he is in.

Just my thoughts.

Archived