Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will eliminating death eliminate religion?

chomerics

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a question I often think of, and with all of the religious threads, I want to get this question out there.

I personally think humans will eliminate death as we know it. We will in the future be able to buy body parts made from our own cells, and hopefully eliminate the other aging factors.

When this happens, will religion be a useless entity of society? I mean the main reason people are religous is because of death. . . if it is eliminated, why would people need religion?

Not at all.

The fundamental questions of where did we come from will come into play. Why are we here?

One of the most interesting books I have read is "Modern scientific indications in the Holy Quran" Literally thousands of modern science principles were alluded to in the Quran, a millenia before they came to be

There is divine inspiration in everything. I still don't know why science and religion have to be at odds together, when it is clear science is a function of God's work

Back to the question, no, the elimination of death will not eliminate religion.

This is a question I often think of, and with all of the religious threads, I want to get this question out there.

I personally think humans will eliminate death as we know it. We will in the future be able to buy body parts made from our own cells, and hopefully eliminate the other aging factors.

When this happens, will religion be a useless entity of society? I mean the main reason people are religous is because of death. . . if it is eliminated, why would people need religion?

Well you could never completely eliminate death...there are accidents that could totally dismember you.

In general I don't think anything would eliminate religion. There will always be an organized group promoting it, and people who will follow.

Kind of like when I saw a report where NBC news proved a certain diet pill was a hoax. They recieved hundreds of emails of people who wanted to find the pill and still wanted to take the pills because they heard stories of people losing all this weight on them. People followed the pill regardless of what they learned.

Thats how religion will always be.

I don't think that death will ever be eliminated. But that is just me.

Even with his logic, death would never truly be eliminated. With his scenario, death would only be eliminated in cases of death by natural causes or diseases. People could still die from accidents and murder, and as soon as the heart stops beating from one of those situations, or the body is torn apart somehow from some kinf of weapon - by that time it's too late.

There is divine inspiration in everything. I still don't know why science and religion have to be at odds together, when it is clear science is a function of God's work

I was listening to the radio this morning and there was a preacher on, He brought up a good point about how Science often times proves that the Bible is true. He used an example of Egypt and Israel. For the life of me though I can't remember what exactly he said. :doh: But it did have me thinking earlier.

I will add one more thought to this

The monotheists religions will never dissapear, ever.

A) Because they have lasted 5,000+ years

B) There is divine inspiration behind them. There have been millions of prophets and religions over time, which never could gain any foothold, and polytheism has virtually disappeared.

Why you ask? Divine inspiration baby

Even with his logic, death would never truly be eliminated. With his scenario, death would only be eliminated in cases of death by natural causes or diseases. People could still die from accidents and murder, and as soon as the heart stops beating from one of those situations, or the body is torn apart somehow from some kinf of weapon - by that time it's too late.

I agree, that's why I put it "as we know it". Accidental death would still happen, but people could live to be hundreds of years old. . . why would we need a god if we don't die? What is the purpose of having a god if you never get to go to heaven?

Religion to me is a way of life ,not a escape from death or the fear of it.

I have never understood faith by fear...It just makes no sense imo.

My faith adds quality to my time here ,rather than a path to eternal life,that is a bonus ;)

No, there's still the rapture thing :doh:. There's no way a human body can last more than 150-200 years anyway, even with all new organs (how will doctors transfer memory to a new brain) the skin, which is the largest organ would be imposible to replace in its entirety. And if we did conquer death, we'd have to conquer birth because this planet is overpopulated now. Religion is a ritual that will never end.

Fear of death only turns people to religion. In itself religion is a search for purpose. "What is the purpose of life?" does not get answered if life is infinite. It's like saying "would we still have philosophy."

No, there's still the rapture thing :doh:. There's no way a human body can last more than 150-200 years anyway, even with all new organs (how will doctors transfer memory to a new brain) the skin, which is the largest organ would be imposible to replace in its entirety. And if we did conquer death, we'd have to conquer birth because this planet is overpopulated now. Religion is a ritual that will never end.

He brings up a good point about the skin.

Assuming we dont find a new way to produce skin, would we really WANT to live to be hundreds of years old, considering how we'd LOOK after all that wear and tear. :laugh:

Archived