Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In your opinion Should Irvin get in the HOF as well as Monk?

BigDFan5

Do you guys think that Mike Irvin also deserves to be in the hall of fame. I already know your feelings on Monk just wondering if you thought Irvin should make it as well. Remember off field antics are not supposed to be counted towards hall of fame recognition

That I can agree with. Monk should have been in awile back. I just hear alot about how irvin does not desrve it figured I would get opposing fans opinions

I hate Irvin.....but he should get in...but he's not better than Monk and shouldn't be there before Monk ...but he will be...there is no justice in this world.

I hate Irvin.....but he should get in...but he's not better than Monk and shouldn't be there before Monk ...but he will be...there is no justice in this world.

I know nobody will agree with me here, but IMo Irvin was better and the numbers show that but thats another discussion

You guys have a reading problem? He said he knows Monk should be in, what do you think about Irvin?

I cant f'ing stand Mike Irvin. As a matter of fact I've pretty much boycotted NFL Primetime so not to subject my son to his disgusting antics, both on and off the show. That being said, he was a monster on the field and theres no question he belongs in the Hall.

Do they???? I thought Art had better #than Irvin...and I know he was a better blocker than Irvin.

If you look at the numbers in context Irvins are more impressive. Monk had 817 more yards and 3 more TDs but Monk also played in 65 more games. Probowls, numbers of 1k yard season, YPC, number of times leading his team in recieving all go to irvin. Monk was a great WR but IMO Irvin was better. But again I dont want this thread to turn into a war thats why I was just discussing HOF instead of comparing careers

You guys have a reading problem? He said he knows Monk should be in, what do you think about Irvin?

I cant f'ing stand Mike Irvin. As a matter of fact I've pretty much boycotted NFL Primetime so not to subject my son to his disgusting antics, both on and off the show. That being said, he was a monster on the field and theres no question he belongs in the Hall.

Thanks man, I may have worded it in a confusing way but gettting different opinions is always good.

If you look at the numbers in context Irvins are more impressive. Monk had 817 more yards and 3 more TDs but Monk also played in 65 more games. Probowls, numbers of 1k yard season, YPC, number of times leading his team in recieving all go to irvin. Monk was a great WR but IMO Irvin was better. But again I dont want this thread to turn into a war thats why I was just discussing HOF instead of comparing careers

Believe me ....I'm not a flamer....I love a good debate. As far as I'm concerned there is no war just two guys with different opinions...one right and the other......well.....;)

Heck yeah I think Irvin gets in. Monk should go in before him though.

One criteria I have for Hall of Fame recognition is how you performed against the best. As a Redskin fan, I remember Irvin giving our beloved Darrell Green fits out there in the field.

Irvin does benefit from playing with Emmitt and having Aikman throwing to him, and a great offensive system with Novachek at TE as well... but I don't think that's a very strong argument against someone who had as

Irvin made a career out of pushing off to get open, taking plays off, and not being a very good blocker. I think Keyshawn even called him out on it...he said Irvin would never be able to play for Parcells.

I don't know...he's got monster numbers, so he should probably get in. However it should definitely be years and years and years after the Monk gets in.

Irvin made a career out of pushing off to get open, taking plays off, and not being a very good blocker. I think Keyshawn even called him out on it...he said Irvin would never be able to play for Parcells.

I remember that interview...Priceless. There's nothing like watching 1 current Cowboy princess and 1 retired Cowboy princess scratch each others eyes out on ESPN. Okay about the question though.

Yes. He deserves to get in based on what he (and teammates) accomplished during their run in the 90's. You are correct in pointing out that off the field problems should not be used when determining someones credibility as a HOF player.

But let me ask you if you think Monk should be in the HOF?

Even as a Cowboy fan you have to see the hypocrisy in his snub to be elected. 3 Superbowl rings and retires as the NFL leader in receptions. It's just a hard pill to swallow (esp. with Lynn Swan #'s)

If I were picking a WR for my team purely based on talent, I'd take Irvin over Monk. However, if I were picking a WR for my team, I'd take Monk over Irvin. Talent ain't everything. For that reason alone, I'd select Monk into the hall before Irvin.

People often forget that Monk had great #'s on a running team. Why can't Peter King realize this? Irvin also had Aikman, one of the most efficient quarterbacks ever. Aikman and Emmitt made Irvin. If Irvin was on a sorry team I truly believe nobody would remember him. He also would of recieved a lot more flags for pushing off. Monk is head and shoulders above Irvin. He elevated our average (except Theisman) quarterbacks. Monk executed exactly what was aked of him, and was totally clutch.

Irvin should probably get in.

Smith made that offense go, but Irvin was a heck of a player. I think he'll get in eventually.

Monk vs. Irvin is another debate, which I'll be happy to have (again) another time.

But yeah, Irvin should probably get in.

I remember that interview...Priceless. There's nothing like watching 1 current Cowboy princess and 1 retired Cowboy princess scratch each others eyes out on ESPN. Okay about the question though.

Yes. He deserves to get in based on what he (and teammates) accomplished during their run in the 90's. You are correct in pointing out that off the field problems should not be used when determining someones credibility as a HOF player.

But let me ask you if you think Monk should be in the HOF?

Even as a Cowboy fan you have to see the hypocrisy in his snub to be elected. 3 Superbowl rings and retires as the NFL leader in receptions. It's just a hard pill to swallow (esp. with Lynn Swan #'s)

If you read my post #5 I already mentioned I thought Monk should have been in years ago. :)

People often forget that Monk had great #'s on a running team. Why can't Peter King realize this? Irvin also had Aikman, one of the most efficient quarterbacks ever. Aikman and Emmitt made Irvin. If Irvin was on a sorry team I truly believe nobody would remember him. He also would of recieved a lot more flags for pushing off. Monk is head and shoulders above Irvin. He elevated our average (except Theisman) quarterbacks. Monk executed exactly what was aked of him, and was totally clutch.

Your agument for Monk is what you are using against Irvin? Irvin put his numbers up on a running team as well. All time rushing leader back there. Ask Aikman he will say Irvin helped make him not vice versa.

Monk was on a great team as well as irvin.

BTW there was no "pushing off" early in Irvins career that rule came in effect later on, and he stopped doing it.

As for monk being head and shoulders above irvin I disagree

Irvin also did what was asked of him and was clutch also.

What records did Irvin break? What accomplishments did Irvin achieve in his career other than being part of a great pre salary cap team?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/profiles/notes/0232.html

look at his accomplishments. They dont seem hall of fame worthy to me.

He should at least wait as long as Monk has had to wait to get in, if not longer due to the discrepancy in talent between the two.

Art Monk first. Remember, Monk played when it was harder for the WRs to catch passes because the DB could have contact.

Art Monk retired as the all-time leader in receptions and had 3 Super Bowl rings...

Irvin had a decent QB, Monk went through QBs like the common man went through toilet paper...Monk also beat Neon Deion several times...in a 56-17 thumping of Atlanta, after Monk was out of his prime...

Archived