Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In your opinion Should Irvin get in the HOF as well as Monk?

BigDFan5

Guest GibbSkins11
Big D didn't do anything to merit a response like that. He asked for an honest opinion and repeatedly stated that he thought Monk should be included. I don't know what you thought your post could bring to the conversation.

Also, I believe Irving did have to compete just as much with other options. Harper, Novacek, and the All-time leading rusher.

harper overrated and a te isnt a wr, the skins had 3 1,000 yd wrs if u give all the balls to monk like irvin got monk would be the all-time leading wr, and monk didnt need cocaine to get pumped up for the game:laugh: only 1 wr better than monk that was jerry rice and u could say cris carter maybe,and irvin played in the start of the new passing era , if monk played in todays game he would have 100 catches a season:dallasuck

Guest GibbSkins11
Hey thanks for bringing such great insight to what was a very good thread I am sure all your fellow Skins fans appreciate it.

As for stats I have already shown it. Monk has 800 more yards and 3 more TDs in 65 more games, not to mention it took him over 200 more catches and 4 more years to do it.

irvin played in a passing area , if he played when monk played he would of been avg , plus monk had 2 1,000 yd wrs on his team,ur funny, i luv it, i guess u need to pump up irvin since u got spanked twice by skintime:laugh:

Guest GibbSkins11
Yeah, I laughed when I saw this idiotic response. I thought this was one of the best threads on here in a long time until this idiot chimed up.

I love people who like to pick and pull parts of history to benefit them. That would be like us typing "14 of 16" everytime we posted. Stupid. 14 of 16 is history and so is us getting swept this year. Get over it and try to add something relevent to the conversation, or don't post.

ur mad and i love it , i had to hear u cowboy fans run your mouth for the last 6 years , so hey ur gonna hear me talk all offseason and then when we win sb41 u will hear it again,u cowboy fans run your mouths but cant take it when the skins win , i gotta call up gibbs and tell him bout this b/c he was right yall are ugly:dallasuck

irvin played in a passing area , if he played when monk played he would of been avg , plus monk had 2 1,000 yd wrs on his team,ur funny, i luv it, i guess u need to pump up irvin since u got spanked twice by skintime:laugh:

whatever it takes to make you sleep better troll

Guest GibbSkins11
This thread has turned into a debate between who is better Monk or irvin which was not my intentions. So I wont be replying on anymore comparisons lets stick to the priginal question asked

any player who is a crakhead and tried to cut his teammates throat that one year, i forget his name he was a o-lineman,and the fact that monk was better ,i think irvin should have to wait as many years as monk did + an extra year

Guest GibbSkins11
whatever it takes to make you sleep better troll

hey i think u need to sweep up that bs with that broom we gave u this season

Guest GibbSkins11
Oh! I'm sorry. Did he not have a pipe to smoke that crack?!

lol ur right monk didnt need to smoke crak to get pumped for a game:dallasuck

any player who is a crakhead and tried to cut his teammates throat that one year, i forget his name he was a o-lineman,and the fact that monk was better ,i think irvin should have to wait as many years as monk did + an extra year

When was irvin ever arrested for anything to do with crack?

And he never tried to cut anyones throat jeez

Guest GibbSkins11
When was irvin ever arrested for anything to do with crack?

And he never tried to cut anyones throat jeez

lol u really act like irvin was a model guy , he smoked more crak than nate newton had weed in his ***, monk was a true pro , he was a quiet put up #s score tds and take the win and not be a crybaby like irvin , saw him on espn he talked crap about the skins b/c he knew the skins were beasty and hey i think santana ruined his little 9/19 party in little d:dallasuck

ssdance2.gif

lol u really act like irvin was a model guy , he smoked more crak than nate newton had weed in his ***, monk was a true pro , he was a quiet put up #s score tds and take the win and not be a crybaby like irvin , saw him on espn he talked crap about the skins b/c he knew the skins were beasty and hey i think santana ruined his little 9/19 party in little d:dallasuck

ssdance2.gif

No I dont act like Irvin is a model citizen, but I also dont try and make up lies to bash someone.

As for the rest of your childish posts no reason to reply. I dont do well speaking to trolls so i will just throw you in ignore now.

Guest GibbSkins11

lol

No I dont act like Irvin is a model citizen, but I also dont try and make up lies to bash someone.

As for the rest of your childish posts no reason to reply. I dont do well speaking to trolls so i will just throw you in ignore now.

lol,thats what u did to santana ignore him and he scored two tds and luved on little d and irvin(in his triple party),and hey ya im a troll but im also a guy with a broom sweepin ur team where they belong.........................

I guess it all comes down to what qualities and characteristics put you in the Hall. If actions on the field are all that count, then Irvin belongs. If you take into account their actions as a football player, then anything he did while he played is up for scrutiny. If you're grading them as men, then actions up to the day they are inducted should count.

The entire problem with the voting process for the HoF is that the voters haven't even decided on a set of criteria to help guide their decisions. There's no left and right limit to what makes a player eligible, other than a 5 year wait.

Personally, I think that some measure of your ability to be a role model and a pillar of the community should be taken into account. Not that Irvin's actions were necessarily bad enough to keep him from entering the hall, he's no Nate Newton. I think how you conduct yourself on and off the field, throught charities and personal issues, should all be considered.

I agree, but we all know thats not the way it goes down. Its just like anything else in the world, a populatiry contest. Its a shame, really. If only Art would have glided through the air more beautifully, or come up with a more flashy touchdown celebration...damn him for respecting the players before him, and the game for that matter. Damn him for doing his job and doing it better than anyone who played before him, and quietly making his way to the sidelines after his work was done.

When did society get so wrapped up in all this self promoting in a team sport, it's disgusting. Thats the biggest reason I miss Darrell Green, he was the last of the 'old schools', not just on this team but in the entire league. The league we watch today may as well be the XFL, that BS league they tried to pull of a few years ago. Vince Mcmann (sp) was just a decade late though, the NFL accomplished that idea when it came up with the salary cap. Thats why these T.O and Chad Johnson types are so full of S#IT, so they'll stand out, so people talk about them. Then when it comes time for a new contract, they use their popularity as leverage for more money. Damn, the more I think about it, the more it makes me sick. For those of us old enough to remember the 80's, that was the end of good football. Sure, you still had a few egomaniacs but nothing like the circus act thats todays NFL.

Art Monk should be in for what he did on the football field alone. He should have gotten in first ballod for what he did on the field, combined with who he is off the field. ANYONE, stastical wise, who retires from the game, the best to play the game in their position, should be recognized as at-least one of the best to ever play the game. Read that sentence again folks. Isnt that what the HOF is supposed to represent for Gods sake? Its a total sham that @ssholes like Peter King, who is too fat and worthless to ever dream of putting on a uniform, has any input what-so-ever on judging the great CONTRIBUTERS to this game.

Ive never been to the Hall but its something that I've always longed to do. However, if Art doesnt make it, the HOF, in MY HUMBLE OPINION, would not represent what it set out to represent. To my knowledge, the HOF came about to recognize the finest athletes to ever play the game. If #81 in B&G doesnt line those walls then in my opinion it doesnt represent the greatest players to have played the game.....and to me, has lost all of its magic and appeal.

Thats just MHO!

Do you guys think that Mike Irvin also deserves to be in the hall of fame. I already know your feelings on Monk just wondering if you thought Irvin should make it as well. Remember off field antics are not supposed to be counted towards hall of fame recognition

Irvin put up sub-Monk numbers in an era where receivers averaged 30-40 more catches a season and never led the league in anything. Ever. He retired having been the best at nothing at any point over his entire career, much less holding the record for receptions in a season and a career at one point. And he retired with inferior numbers.

The one season that Monk was the one and only good receiver on the Redskins (1984) Monk caught a record 106 balls, the guy who was #2 caught 80 balls. Irvin enjoyed status like that for over a decade with the best OL, best RB and one of the 2-3 best QB's in the league the entire time and and never led the league in a single stat of any kind.

If Monk gets into the HOF this year, Irvin should at least have to wait another decade.

harper overrated and a te isnt a wr, the skins had 3 1,000 yd wrs if u give all the balls to monk like irvin got monk would be the all-time leading wr, and monk didnt need cocaine to get pumped up for the game:laugh: only 1 wr better than monk that was jerry rice and u could say cris carter maybe,and irvin played in the start of the new passing era , if monk played in todays game he would have 100 catches a season:dallasuck

Do you remember the play Alvin Harper had against the 49'ers to win the NFC Championship game, it was like a 10 yard reception that he turned into a 50 yard TD (I think) . . I remember seeing it, but do not remember if he scored the TD. But I do know that play sealed the game. Harper had amazing athletic ability (while he was there). Jay Novacheck . . . come on, don;t underestimate a TE's importance to the rest of the team. Just because they aren';t as fast and flashy as a WR doe not mean they are any less of a threat. Novacheck was a monster and made huge plays. He could be HOF material. Do not discredit him just to put Irvin in higher esteem. Irvin had all pros on both sides of the ball for 11 years, Monk did not, that is a fact. They both deserve to get in, but this should be done, comparing the tow is like apples and oranges, they aren;t the same kind of fruit. Irivn benefitted from one of the most dominant teams assembles in NFL history, Monk benefitted from being coached by one of the greatest coaches of all times who was able to get the most out of average role players in a cutting edge (at the time) offensive and defensive philosphy. That's my $.02 and I'm sticking to it.

Remember off field antics are not supposed to be counted towards hall of fame recognition

This is true, but its like being on a jury and hearing testimony only to be told by the judge that you are not to consider that testimony. Once the truth is out there it is impossible for that truth to not color your judgment.

That being said, I think Irvin will get into the Hall, but not on his first try. I think his off the field antics will color the perception of his on the field performance. They had this same discussion on PTI and on NFL Live, both said "off the field antic are not to be considered" but they both agreed that "off the field performance always colors perception of players."

I am a die hard Redskins fan, and Art Monk is one of my all time favorite players. As much as I hate to give any compliments to the "cowgirls" Micheal Irvin definitely deserves a place in the Hall of Fame. Obviously he is no Art Monk, but he still was a heck of a player.

Archived