Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins name offensive?

Laxpunk2006

Alright well first off this is my first of many posts here, I'm glad I finally found some other people as obsessed as I am. Also hopefully this is the right section for this.

Well last week in my history class my professor brought up the "deadskins" :cuss: saying that their name is extremely offensive to those of native american heritage. I disagreed obviously because I don't really think anyone would care about something like that. I know as a second generation irish citizen that if someone wanted to start a franchise called the Mc's or any other slur for my nationality I'd laugh. I'd probably even like the team.

So basically what I'm getting at here is how you do feel about it, and if you agree with me what actual evidence is there that it's not offensive. I've heard rumors before about different native american tribes publibly saying they don't care, and I even heard something about Snyder sending a helmet to the funeral of some native american that was proud of our logo. So it would really help if anyone could just give me some links or actual info regarding this topic. Thanks a lot

Welcome to ES

Anyone who is not a Native American who says the name is offensive is an idiot. If I remember correctly most Native Americans don't really care.

Frankly I think we are very respectful of Native Americans. We don't have some goofy indian like they have in Cleveland. Our icon is a proud, stoic Chief. We don't do the chop or that song Braves fans do. We sing Hail to the Redskins! (get it?)

Besides it will never change, at least not in our lifetime. You can't mess with the league's largest and most profitable franchise.

The woman who bought the lawsuit against the Redskins had only 7 or 8 american indians that signed on to it, so that should tell you a little.

The history of the term Redskins was not listed in the dictionary as offensive untill 1983.

I think the team was named the Redskins because we actually had native americans on the team but I am not certain of that.

Alright well first off this is my first of many posts here, I'm glad I finally found some other people as obsessed as I am. Also hopefully this is the right section for this.
Welcome to ES! (Yes, I know, it probably looks really weird to be welcomed to the Redskins site by a Seahawks fan, but I've been here a while). Just so you know, this topic has been covered before here. If you use the search function, you can find some of the previous threads...
Well last week in my history class my professor brought up the "deadskins" :cuss: saying that their name is extremely offensive to those of native american heritage. I disagreed obviously because I don't really think anyone would care about something like that. I know as a second generation irish citizen that if someone wanted to start a franchise called the Mc's or any other slur for my nationality I'd laugh. I'd probably even like the team.

So basically what I'm getting at here is how you do feel about it, and if you agree with me what actual evidence is there that it's not offensive. I've heard rumors before about different native american tribes publibly saying they don't care, and I even heard something about Snyder sending a helmet to the funeral of some native american that was proud of our logo. So it would really help if anyone could just give me some links or actual info regarding this topic. Thanks a lot

...and possibly find some answers to some of these questions.

FYI, I'm with you on this. Most of the complaint heard about the name aren't coming from native Americans. There's a handful of malcontents, perhaps, but most of the noise is coming from do-gooders who make it their person business to get offended on someone else's behalf.

The woman who bought the lawsuit against the Redskins had only 7 or 8 american indians that signed on to it, so that should tell you a little.

The history of the term Redskins was not listed in the dictionary as offensive untill 1983.

I think the team was named the Redskins because we actually had native americans on the team but I am not certain of that.

7-8 names? that's pretty sad..I wonder how many of those were family members?

the team was named the redskins by Marshall in boston, naming it Redskins in honor of his head coach was said to be partly indian. This claim was later to be found as false.

Welcome to ES! (Yes, I know, it probably looks really weird to be welcomed to the Redskins site by a Seahawks fan, but I've been here a while). Just so you know, this topic has been covered before here. If you use the search function, you can find some of the previous threads...

...and possibly find some answers to some of these questions.

FYI, I'm with you on this. Most of the complaint heard about the name aren't coming from native Americans. There's a handful of malcontents, perhaps, but most of the noise is coming from do-gooders who make it their person business to get offended on someone else's behalf.

I was going to run a search first but I can't even think what words to run to come up with anything useful. Thanks for the post and good luck in the super bowl.

I know as a second generation irish citizen that if someone wanted to start a franchise called the Mc's or any other slur for my nationality I'd laugh. I'd probably even like the team.

What? You aren't out protesting at every Notre Dame game? ;)

Welcome!

What? You aren't out protesting at every Notre Dame game? ;)

Welcome!

Haha the "fighting Irish" is actually a great example I can use, as it's quite stereotypical in a derrogatory way. I did run a search and found loads of pretty good info on here. I've also found conflicting stories on whether or not William "Lone Star" Dietz was in fact a Native American. I'm looking at my Hail to the Redskins book here by Richard Whittingham and it seems to agree he was full-blooded Native American. I guess between this and some of the online articles I found I should have a pretty legitimate arguement in favor of the Redskins.

There are a zillion stories about how the Skins got their name. Most are baloney.

Fact is, no matter how we got the name, no matter how pure Marshall's intentions were back then, no matter how good the team's and fans' intentions are today, no matter how dignified the logo is, the simple fact remains:

Redskin is kind of an insult.

It's not the biggest issue in the world. No, the Washington Redskins is not nearly as bad as the Washington N*ggers or the Washington K*kes. Yes, most people who are offended are politically correct pains in the butt who are just looking for something to be offended about.

It's still kind of an insult. It just is.

I will remain a diehard fan of this team, whatever the name.

This is from http://www.bluecorncomics.com/redskins.htm

There are at least three versions of the name's origin. The official story, says team spokesman Karl Swanson, is that when the Boston Braves football team left Braves Field to play at Fenway Park in 1933, owner George Preston Marshall needed a new name for his squad.

He chose Redskins in honor of Lone Star Dietz, the team's coach and an Indian who often wore an eagle feather headdress, beaded deerskin jacket and buckskin moccasins. Dietz brought four to six — accounts vary — Indian players with him to Boston from the Haskell Indian School in Kansas, where he had coached for four years.

Another version has the team being named for the white men who dressed up as Indians to stage the Boston Tea Party at the start of the American Revolution. Yet another genesis story says the name stems from the colored clay that Plains Indians used to paint themselves for tribal ceremonies.

Personally, I always thought it was from the red ochre war-paint that north-eastern woodland tribes used for battle.

Anyone who is not a Native American who says the name is offensive is an idiot. If I remember correctly most Native Americans don't really care.

Interesting then, that "Virtually every America Indian advocacy group in the country has spoken out against mascots, including the Washington-based National Congress of American Indians, the American Indian Movement, Indian Psychologists of the Americas, Native American Journalists Association, Concerned American Indian Parents, and more." from the National Catholic Reporter, Feb. 2005.

Archived