Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Collective Bargaining Agreement

Warhead36

ummm you do realize that if the Redskins make the NFC Championship or the Superbowl like most here believe they will then even if next season is uncapped, they will not be able to buy every free agent avaliable right? Its called "the final 8 plan" Playoff teams are restricted from signing multiple free agents

I pray that it does not get renewed. For in 2007, when the cap finally dies its well deserved death, we will rule the league once again with our reckless and unchecked spending. Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

:logo:

You better start praying there's an extension. If there's not we'll be in trouble in 2006. If the cap goes away it may never come back and then the NFL turns into Major League Baseball. The team that spends the most doesn't always win, it didn't work too well for us in 2000.

Basically this offseason is huge for this organization, if the new CBA is not signed there will be a few teams in the league that will be screwed. Skins included...scary ****, my friends. Before any free agent or draft talk we should be talkin CBA cuz our whole offseason will be based upon it.

Basically this offseason is huge for this organization, if the new CBA is not signed there will be a few teams in the league that will be screwed. Skins included...scary ****, my friends. Before any free agent or draft talk we should be talkin CBA cuz our whole offseason will be based upon it.

That is the truth. The key to our offseason and being able to upgrade our team all lies in whether there is a new CBA.

Ditto to what these guys just said. If there is no CBA extension by March 1, the best thing 2006 will be for is playing Jason Campbell and getting him prepped for 2007 and beyond. The CBA extension is the most important thing where our offseason is concerned, especially if they negotiate more money to the players, likely meaning a larger cap.

i might be way out of whack here but could someone (in a nutshell) explain the CBA? i have heard about this and never really understood exactly what is taking place and what could be happenening

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=CBA+Complete

INTRODUCTION

On February 25, 1998, the National Football League Management Council (“NFLMC”) and the National Football League Players Association (“NFLPA”) agreed to extend, with certain modifications, the 1993 NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement (“CBA”), which was previously amended June 6, 1996.

This booklet incorporates the 1998 extension agreement into the text of the CBA. The 1998 extension language to the amended 1993 CBA is set forth in italic copy with applicable notations to the extension agreement.

In addition, side letter agreements between the NFLMC and the NFLPA setting forth the parties’ interpretation of various provisions of the CBA are reprinted and indented within the appropriate articles. Side letters that were agreed to after the 1996 extension are added to this booklet, and are set forth in italics.

Here it is, go for it, LOL

You better start praying there's an extension. If there's not we'll be in trouble in 2006. If the cap goes away it may never come back and then the NFL turns into Major League Baseball. The team that spends the most doesn't always win, it didn't work too well for us in 2000.

It will be more like the NHL with team owner "lock-outs." Buffalo, Cincy, Cleve., etc. Don't make the $$$ that Snyder does in DC. So approx. ten teams or more will close operation before trying bidding wars with Snyder, Jerry Jones, Al Davis, Wayne Huizenga (Miami), or Paul Allen (Seahawks). Now that was the "Good news!" The bad news is IF the league had just 1 un-capped year. Snyder goes out and gets a $200mil payroll. Then the cap comes back the next year at about $120mil. Now the Skins have to trim $80mil. Who stays, Who goes? The CBA must be extended. It would be Redskins destruction if it doesn't get extended.

Will one of you people who think the Redskins will be screwed with no CBA please explain to me exactly why? Is it the cap, or something other than the cap?

My understanding, at least for this year, is that if the CBA isn't agreed upon, the final 8 teams in the playoffs (including us) cannot SIGN FREE AGENTS.

Will one of you people who think the Redskins will be screwed with no CBA please explain to me exactly why? Is it the cap, or something other than the cap?

Part of the reason is teams will "lock out" players ala the NHL 'till the players/union etc. can agree with owners on a cap. So before the Skins can sign players in free agency, we must 1st have a season! If the cheap owners and the owners that don't make alot of $$$ can't come to an agreement with the Snyder's, Jones, and Al Davis', etc. Football will be gone in September. "Lock out" city everywhere!

I just can't stand a salary cap on principal. Imagine in your job that the company you work for is only allowed to spend x amount of money on employee salaries. No matter how huge the profits that were coming in they could not share with the employees even if they wanted to because of "the salary cap". How bad would that suck as an employee.

If the players got together and apposed the formation of a new CBA then I think the league would be forced into a no limit free market setup. If they tryed to control salaries in the absence of a CBA it would be a violation of the Sherman Antitrust act.

Doing this would force a lockout in all probability, then it would be a matter of who blinked first.

As for small market teams not being able to compete, winning is not always about buying the most expensive players as we Redskins fans have seen first hand. It would also force these small market teams to roll their sleeves up and go to work creating additional revenue for their teams. To many of them just sit back and collect their portion of the revenue sharing and don't do much else. Those teams will be at a disadvantage.

Part of the reason is teams will "lock out" players ala the NHL 'till the players/union etc. can agree with owners on a cap. So before the Skins can sign players in free agency, we must 1st have a season! If the cheap owners and the owners that don't make alot of $$$ can't come to an agreement with the Snyder's, Jones, and Al Davis', etc. Football will be gone in September. "Lock out" city everywhere!

The big differnce between the NHL and NFL is I believe the NHL owners were in the red. So they really had no incentive to go forward without a new agreement. The NFL is making so much money that there woud be tremendous pressure to get the games going, because so much money was being lost by closing up shop. In the NHL that loss wasn't there for the teams.

The big differnce between the NHL and NFL is I believe the NHL owners were in the red. So they really had no incentive to go forward without a new agreement. The NFL is making so much money that there woud be tremendous pressure to get the games going, because so much money was being lost by closing up shop. In the NHL that loss wasn't there for the teams.

Sounds easy enough. 1 thing left out is the low income owners were making $$$ via "profit sharing" too. Without a new CBA? Every onwner for themselves so to speak. There in lies the problem! Like I said, your plain sounds "easy," but will it be that simple? I dunno.

Sounds easy enough. 1 thing left out is the low income owners were making $$$ via "profit sharing" too. Without a new CBA? Every onwner for themselves so to speak. There in lies the problem! Like I said, your plain sounds "easy," but will it be that simple? I dunno.

Profit sharing is independent of a CBA. They are seperate issues from an anitrust and labor agreemant standpoint. You could have no salary cap, no cba, and still have profit sharing if the owners choose.

My understanding, at least for this year, is that if the CBA isn't agreed upon, the final 8 teams in the playoffs (including us) cannot SIGN FREE AGENTS.
That would certainly be a reason to worry, but how sure are you that that's the case?
I don't think that's true. It could happen, but it doesn't automatically follow. Besides, haven't the Redskins already signed another 10 players or so? (I saw that in another thread.)
I just can't stand a salary cap on principal. Imagine in your job that the company you work for is only allowed to spend x amount of money on employee salaries. No matter how huge the profits that were coming in they could not share with the employees even if they wanted to because of "the salary cap". How bad would that suck as an employee.
I agree totally with this.

There are no "small market" or "low income" teams in the NFL, only "giant income" and "really, really good income" teams. They ALL make enough money off of the TV alone to cover the salary cap and hire top notch coaching staffs. Bill Bidwell has said that if he didn't sell a single ticket to a single game, he would still make plenty of profit on the year just because of the TV package.

Anyway, to answer to the question about why the 'Skins will be in trouble. Right now we are way over the cap, but we have a lot of contracts and bonuses that can be restructered to get under the cap. It will be easily done. However, with no CBA extension, our options are severely limited because different rules kick in, such as the 30% rule (discussed elsewhere on this site), not to mention the amount of years a bonus could be prorated over is trimmed. We will really have to do some fancy things and get some players to go above and beyond the call of duty (such as take paycuts) to be able to add the players we need to become a contender next season. Even that may not work.

Profit sharing is independent of a CBA. They are seperate issues from an anitrust and labor agreemant standpoint. You could have no salary cap, no cba, and still have profit sharing if the owners choose.

"Profit sharing" on the 64.75% is already "Shared," true. But the lower market teams want to *ALSO* share local TV, vending, parking etc. or that 35.25%. Which in other words is 100% sharing. No way Davis, Syder, Jones etc. will go for that. They will stop trying to earn 1st!

i would think if there is no CBA or cap,then free agency is no more.

It will still exist but teams will be able to keep their players. The only reason a player would leave is because he doesn't like the team or the ownership doesn't like the player enough to pay him

Archived