Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Team Ever to come up short in a Super Bowl? 1983 Skins!

Alvin Walton's Mohawk

I responded to a thread questioning who the worst team ever to make a Super Bowl was.... It immediately made me think of the BEST team that didn't win the big game. My beloved 1983 Redskins. Below is my response to that thread- does anyone have any additional insight to further bolster this claim? I loved that team- they were a mature and more dangerous (full season) version of the 1982 World Championship team.

I challenge anyone to come up with a better "runner-up".

1983 Redskins. Broke my heart!!!!!!!!!!

-Defending Super Bowl Champs

-14-2

-Lost 2 games by a total of 2 points (both on Monday night 48-47 Green Bay and 31-30 to Dallas)

-NFL Record 541 points scored in the season

-John Riggins 24 TD's in a season set record

- I think they had the #1 defense in the league as well- not sure- but they were nasty (aside from Anthony Washington at corner)

- Destroyed Dickerson and the Rams 51-7 in div. playoff

- Beat Montana and the Niners in the NFC Champ

- God knows how many Pro Bowlers were on the team...I'd guess 5 to 7 guys.

- Beat the Raiders during the regular season

And then they got absolutely crushed in the SB! The game was over at halftime thanks to that unknown bum Jack Squirek. That team has been completely forgotten and I would argue that they were just as good- if not even better than the 1991 team.....

Such a shame.

I was at that SuperBowl, and drove all the way back from Tampa almost in a daze. We were by far the best offensive team maybe ever, but if you remember our pass defense was real bad. We were actually called the Pearl Harbor Crew. That year, we lost to GreenBay on Monday Night 48-47 over 1000 yards between the two teams. But we smoked quite a few teams that year. The 1969 Colts were 13-1 and lost to Namath

We were actually called the Pearl Harbor Crew. That year, we lost to GreenBay on Monday Night 48-47 over 1000 yards between the two teams.

They were called the Pearl Harbor crew because they were constantly under bombardment since the Skins were always in the lead....

We lost that Dallas game 31-30 after leading 23-0 at halftime in the season opener!

Those DB's were not that bad: Darrell (rookie), Vernon Dean, Ken Coffey, Mark Murphy, Tony Peters,- but Anthony Washington was BAD. He got burned a ton- and he can be seen famously getting missing a tackle and getting burned on that 72 yard Marcus Allen TD in the Super Bowl....

I don't know how many INT's they had that year- but there were plenty since there was a +43 TO ratio. WOW!

Best Redskin team I ever had the privilege to watch.

It's too bad they've been regulated to second tier because of one off game.

I think others to consider would be the following.

1978 Cowboys

1984 Dolphins

1990 Bills

The Rams team that lost to the Patriots was a dangerous offensive machine as well- but the Patriots hit them in the mouth and beat them with physical play...

The worst part about that SKins loss in 1983 was that they were a physical team all year- but the Raiders just beat them up in that game and shut down the run...

I responded to a thread questioning who the worst team ever to make a Super Bowl was.... It immediately made me think of the BEST team that didn't win the big game. My beloved 1983 Redskins. Below is my response to that thread- does anyone have any additional insight to further bolster this claim? I loved that team- they were a mature and more dangerous (full season) version of the 1982 World Championship team.

I challenge anyone to come up with a better "runner-up".

1983 Redskins. Broke my heart!!!!!!!!!!

-Defending Super Bowl Champs

-14-2

-Lost 2 games by a total of 2 points (both on Monday night 48-47 Green Bay and 31-30 to Dallas)

-NFL Record 541 points scored in the season

-John Riggins 24 TD's in a season set record

- I think they had the #1 defense in the league as well- not sure- but they were nasty (aside from Anthony Washington at corner)

- Destroyed Dickerson and the Rams 51-7 in div. playoff

- Beat Montana and the Niners in the NFC Champ

- God knows how many Pro Bowlers were on the team...I'd guess 5 to 7 guys.

- Beat the Raiders during the regular season

And then they got absolutely crushed in the SB! The game was over at halftime thanks to that unknown bum Jack Squirek. That team has been completely forgotten and I would argue that they were just as good- if not even better than the 1991 team.....

Such a shame.

I definately don't think they were as good as the 1991 team from top to bottom. Maybe the offense was more powerful but the 1991 defense was much stronger IMO. We had a number of shootout games during the regular season...the 37-35 victory over the Raiders and 48-47 loss to the Packers come most quickly to mind. The 1991 team on the other hand had 3 shut outs...

I definately don't think they were as good as the 1991 team from top to bottom. Maybe the offense was more powerful but the 1991 defense was much stronger IMO. We had a number of shootout games during the regular season...the 37-35 victory over the Raiders and 48-47 loss to the Packers come most quickly to mind. The 1991 team on the other hand had 3 shut outs...

Not a bad point. That 1991 team had a very solid all-around team and the defense just seemed to make all the right plays- they were a dominant team- just not quite flashy as the 1982-1983 version, I guess.

But +43 in turnovers! That is mind-boggling. It's tough for a defense to lose games with that kind of margin.... I don't know how I didn't know that before today- but now I'm glad that I know!

The Rams team that lost to the Patriots was a dangerous offensive machine as well- but the Patriots hit them in the mouth and beat them with physical play...

The worst part about that SKins loss in 1983 was that they were a physical team all year- but the Raiders just beat them up in that game and shut down the run...

I whole-heartily agree.

Things happened in that game that never ever happened to those Redskins.

Special teams blunder (blocked punt)

Our defensive line manhandled

The Hogs get manhandled

Joe Theismann with a blunder throw (Rocket Screen)

Charlie Brown and Art Monk get roughed up

It was like the football gods had looked out for the Skins for 2 years and then on one night decided "enough is enough" and every possible thing that could go wrong.......did.

I could not believe my eyes. A team that had come so close to perfection, who were on an eleven game win streak and had won 36 of their last 42 games just imploded. :doh:

Someone mentioned Tony Peters, who I think played on the '82 team. I didn't think he played in '83 due to a drug issue.......is that true. Also, didn't Jeris White hold out and not play in '83 either. Both were DBs and I think if we had their services the Skins may well have gone 16-0 that year. Of course, I don't think could've saved us against the Raiduhs, but its not like other teams haven't been blown out in the Big Game.

Someone mentioned Tony Peters, who I think played on the '82 team. I didn't think he played in '83 due to a drug issue.......is that true. Also, didn't Jeris White hold out and not play in '83 either. Both were DBs and I think if we had their services the Skins may well have gone 16-0 that year. Of course, I don't think could've saved us against the Raiduhs, but its not like other teams haven't been blown out in the Big Game.

I think you're right. I knew Jeris WHite was out and I was hesitant to add Tony Peters (and his sunglasses) because I wasn't sure if he was playing in 1983. Did Ken Coffey take his place or was I missing somebody? Who was the other safety? Not Curtis Jordan- he replaced Mark Murphy, no?

There was a thread on here awhile ago that talked about why the 83 team fell apart in the superbowl, apparently they went out and partied the night before and weren't right. Really disappointing.

One of the mods knows the whole story, i think it's Tarhog or Henry.

Anyway, that sounds like an awesome team, I wish I had seen them play.

There was a thread on here awhile ago that talked about why the 83 team fell apart in the superbowl, apparently they went out and partied the night before and weren't right. Really disappointing.

One of the mods knows the whole story, i think it's Tarhog or Henry.

Anyway, that sounds like an awesome team, I wish I had seen them play.

Please tell me you are kidding about this!? If it is true- it makes sense because I still can't believe how they were manhandled (I still have the game on VHS- along with both playoff games- which I watch much more often!)

Well, I hope they had a good time partying, because I cried my eyes out after that game (I was 8)- but I'm sure there were plent yof grown men crying as well....

Who was the other safety? Not Curtis Jordan- he replaced Mark Murphy, no?

Nope. Jordan and Murphy were the starting safeties in '83.

That defense was ranked 16th overall. 1st in rushing defense, both in yards per game and in yards per rush. Last overall, in passing defense, though. Again, as someone else pointed out, teams were forced into a pass only mode because the Skins were stifling against the run and the offense scored early and often, frequently after turnovers forced by the defense. That defense was a sack and turnover-producing machine. They had three players in double-digit sacks (Dave Butz, Dexter Manley, and Tony McGee) and 51 as a team. They pick off 34 passes, with Mark Murphy's 9 leading the league. The +43 turnover differencial just might be the most lasting achievement the '83 team recorded. No other team has even come close. I don't think any other team has even broken the +30 mark. The Pearl Harbor Crew gave up a bunch of meaningless points and yards in the second half of games which had already been decided.

I think the '91 team is one of the most underrated Super Bowl Champions ever. It was Joe Gibbs crowning achievment as a coach, because that team wasn't nearly as talented as the '83 team. Not on offense. Not on defense.

That Super Bowl loss was a shocker and a heartbreaker. But I think Gibbs learned a lot from the experience. He won two more Super Bowls with teams that were much less talented, overall.

I was 9 years old when we lost that Super Bowl, and it was my second season as a football/sports/Redskins fan. I had been so spoiled up til then: the Skins' record with me as a "fan" was 28-2, with a Super Bowl title.

I thought I was a tough kid but when Jack Squirek picked off Theismann's pass before halftime I could feel a lump in my throat, and my eyes started watering... I was so devastated. I ended up puking (true story) and getting sick that night after the game ended, and my mom let me stay home from 4th grade the next day.

:cry::puke:

... I read years later that the Skins suspected the Raiders were spying(!) on their practices in the week leading up to the game. Pretty crazy, if it's true...

Although they fell short in SB XVIII, the 1983 Redskins bring back good memories! It was the most talented Redskin team I ever saw.

And I saw them in person during that season when they beat the Rams 42-20 at Anaheim Stadium. I had so much fun that day!

I also fondly remember the 31-10 pounding the Redskins put on Dallas in the second to last week of the season!

Quick story about SBXVIII, I watched the game with several members of my family at my grandparents' house in East Los Angeles. Mostly everybody was rooting for the Raiders. So you could imagine the abuse I was taking that day.

But at the same time, I have to give the Raiders credit. They just played a great all-around game.

With a couple of breaks, the 1983 Redskins could have easily gone 16-0 It's just a shame that they played their one bad game in football's biggest stage.

Archived