Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the "Seattle is good because of the NFC West" argument is bogus

Like I said I'll be back after the SB to take my lumps if they beat Pittsburgh, don't hold your breath.

I understand that you're a Seahawk fan and that your team has to play whatever schedule the NFL gives you. You cannot deny the fact that this paved a much smoother road for your team than it did any other team in the NFC. I don't think the Redskins deserve to be there more than Seattle, you won, you deserve it. Being in the NFC West sure as hell didn't hurt your cause. That's all I'm saying. That being said I think Pittsburgh, who played quality opponents all season long will expose you once and for all. Honestly I don't think any team in the NFC could beat them right now.

My money is as good as in the bank baby!

Like I said I'll be back after the SB to take my lumps if they beat Pittsburgh, don't hold your breath.

I understand that you're a Seahawk fan and that your team has to play whatever schedule the NFL gives you. You cannot deny the fact that this paved a much smoother road for your team than it did any other team in the NFC. I don't think the Redskins deserve to be there more than Seattle, you won, you deserve it. Being in the NFC West sure as hell didn't hurt your cause. That's all I'm saying. That being said I think Pittsburgh, who played quality opponents all season long will expose you once and for all. Honestly I don't think any team in the NFC could beat them right now.

My money is as good as in the bank baby!

Oh, I don't deny it at all. Going into the season, people were picking the Rams and the Cardinals to take the division -- how the hell were they supposed to know that those teams would crumble? Overlooked by most people though is the fact that we had a hand in crumbling them. Anyway, you're right, the road was easier. But if you think that means they're necessarily a worse team or a not-as-good team, you're falling into a mental trap.
seachicks arent best,they caught skinz and panthers at the right time,they were tired,and panthers 2 RB's were out.
Who in the NFC do you think is better?

Clue: injuries and fatigue are a part of the game. If your team doesn't have enough depth and endurance to overcome injuries and fatigue and beat other teams, your team isn't good enough! Don't tell me that being tired is an excuse to lose. We played much of the season with injured receivers, secondary, linebackers and D linemen, but we had enough depth to keep going and win. Now that we have about everybody back, we're healthy and peaking at a good time.

So who do you think is better in the NFC?

Oh, I don't deny it at all. Going into the season, people were picking the Rams and the Cardinals to take the division -- how the hell were they supposed to know that those teams would crumble? Overlooked by most people though is the fact that we had a hand in crumbling them. Anyway, you're right, the road was easier. But if you think that means they're necessarily a worse team or a not-as-good team, you're falling into a mental trap.

Who in the NFC do you think is better?

Clue: injuries and fatigue are a part of the game. If your team doesn't have enough depth and endurance to overcome injuries and fatigue and beat other teams, your team isn't good enough! Don't tell me that being tired is an excuse to lose. We played much of the season with injured receivers, secondary, linebackers and D linemen, but we had enough depth to keep going and win. Now that we have about everybody back, we're healthy and peaking at a good time.

So who do you think is better in the NFC?

any team other than seachicks,and u cant say that seachicks didnt see the opportunity when foster broke his ankle.

Whatever you're smoking, it killed a whole bunch of brain cells.

Yup.. I agree, this guy is not making any sense. The Seahawks were the best team in the NFC this year. Regardless of who the played. They had the #1 seed. So I guess the NFL just gives the #1 seed to whomever they wish. :doh:

Like BlueTalon said, they peaked at the right time, and as far as Strength of Schedule goes, Normally St Louis and Green Bay are good. Who would have known that these 2 teams would have fallen apart when they made the schedule last April? I am willing to bet that nobody knew.

[quote name=BlueTalon

Clue: injuries and fatigue are a part of the game. If your team doesn't have enough depth and endurance to overcome injuries and fatigue and beat other teams' date=' your team isn't good enough! Don't tell me that being tired is an excuse to lose. We played much of the season with injured receivers, secondary, linebackers and D linemen, but we had enough depth to keep going and win. Now that we have about everybody back, we're healthy and peaking at a good time.

Them playing the 10 games against sub par teams helped in them being rested and being able to win games without starters. Don't you see? I wouldn't let it bother you, all of us Redskin fans would have given their left testacle to have the Seahawk schedule, were just hatin.

Good luck in the SB, you're going to need it against Pittsburgh. As far as what team deserves to be there, Seattle, no denying that. Fact is I don't think any NFC team could beat Pittsburgh right now.

Well Blue Talon and all of the Seachicken fans I'm back just like I said. 10 points is all that could be mustered, the NFC MVP didn't break 100 or the goal line and Matt couldn't win the game like the great QB's of the game do (Brady). Too bad, like I said exposed. It was a good run but the best team won. So long, see you next year, and hope to hear from you soon.

Well, the bottom line is that we didn't do what we needed to do to overcome bad calls and adversity. I don't mind getting beat by a better team. But right now, I'm feeling the same way most of you felt at the end of your first game against Tampa, where you kept it close but the refs just basically handed it to the other team. ZoEd, do you honestly think that 1st TD should have been called back for offensive pass interference, or the Stevens catch on the 1 should have been called back for holding? or that the Roethlisberger TD should have been called a TD on the field?

Ahhh... I'm resigned to the final score. But it was a closer game than most people thought, and there was some seriously bad officiating. And any attempt to characterize the game by the final score is disingenuous, IMO.

Blue Talon,

Congratulations on your team being in the Superbowl. I thought they fought hard, made too many mistakes, but also had horrible calls against them a la Retardo-Refs. I felt like it was us out there with those calls! I felt bad for you. I would be very angry. But at least you were there for the first time.

I did think the game was going to be closer, and even that you could pull it off-but the Refs didn't allow a close game. The NY Mafia again. :silly:

:cheers: to your season and to next year.

Thanks, GeorgiaRedskin. Yes, we dropped passes today. AARRRGHGH! We dropped too many passes. Jeremy Stevens dropped three by himself before I stopped counting.

I have made it a point on this board never to play the coulda-shoulda-woulda game. But damn! Kudos to the Steelers for making the big plays. We made a few ourselves, but they kept getting called back. I've always been of the opinion that a team that wants to win should be able to overcome a bad call or two. And therefore I believe we didn't do what was necessary to win the game. But that was more than just a bad call or two...

Pardon me while I go get drunk.

Now you see how frustrated us Skins fans were after all of the NON CALLS for Seattle when we played them. Face it, it finally caught up to them. Petty maybe but a fouls a foul. Don't think it would have made that much of a difference though.

You see when you play good teams all season long you find ways to win. When you play crappy teams all season long you get by on mediorcrity and a solid team. The SB seperates the men from the boys. Sorry but the best team won, good or bad officiating.

I keep reading how Seattle's 13-3 record should be dismissed or somehow discounted because of their weak division. Well, what about us? The Skins went 4-0 against the NFC West this year. Does going 6-6 in the other 12 games diminish our great season? I would say no. What say you?

I completely agree with you.

After last night, I'm not convinced any NFC team could have made the playoffs in the AFC. The Steelers played one of the ugliest, most uninspired first halves that you will see all season. And they had a 14-3 lead with one minute gone in the second half.

Is there anyone on Seattle's offense who scares anyone? Wouldn't the Chargers have beaten them last night?

Thanks, GeorgiaRedskin. Yes, we dropped passes today. AARRRGHGH! We dropped too many passes. Jeremy Stevens dropped three by himself before I stopped counting.

I have made it a point on this board never to play the coulda-shoulda-woulda game. But damn! Kudos to the Steelers for making the big plays. We made a few ourselves, but they kept getting called back. I've always been of the opinion that a team that wants to win should be able to overcome a bad call or two. And therefore I believe we didn't do what was necessary to win the game. But that was more than just a bad call or two...

Pardon me while I go get drunk.

:laugh: I feel ya, sportsbrotha. And not that this is solace to you or anything, but EVERYONE, and I mean, EVERYONE at work was saying that was a rigged game, with TOTAL BS calls, a cheap Steelers win, QVC already had the correct score on the T-shirts to sell right after the game....I mean Ravens fans, Redskin fans, Cowboy fans, Eagles fans. It was the ugliest Ref representation of any Superbowl, and it is sad. Oh and my brother just echoed the same sentiments.

I felt like that at the Tampa/Skins game. We made mistakes, but that non-Alstott TD call determined the game. A game where both teams made mistakes, but the ones on the zebra's good side won. Despicable.

Seriously, I am beginning to see the NFL as the next WWF (or whatever Wrestling Federation it is these days :doh: )

Actually it is some solace to know that. It seems that the only people who aren't acknowledging the horrible officiating are Steelers fans and Seahawks haters.

I just hope it turns into something positive, like the NFL hiring officials full time and giving them training and clinics and seminars throughout the year.

Actually it is some solace to know that. It seems that the only people who aren't acknowledging the horrible officiating are Steelers fans and Seahawks haters.

I just hope it turns into something positive, like the NFL hiring officials full time and giving them training and clinics and seminars throughout the year.

LOL, the poor Seattle Seahawks and the tragedy of their plight.....Please. I think it's great you all, including your coach, are being such poor losers. Do you really think you played a good game? You lost by a field goal, a touchdown, and a 2 point conversion. It's not like it was a field goal or even a touchdown. Are you the only team that has had controversial calls go against them? Boo Hoo. Take the loss like a man, the other 39 teams that lost Superbowl did. At this point, you join the Skins and the rest of the other 11 playoff teams that ended their year with a loss. This type of response is expected from 1st time Superbowl teams but I never expected it to this extent. It is just another example of how low class many Hawks fans are. Pittsburg is the Superbowl champs, it's their time. Seattle has never been the champion and if you keep blaming anyone but yourselves you never will be.

I keep reading how Seattle's 13-3 record should be dismissed or somehow discounted because of their weak division. Well, what about us? The Skins went 4-0 against the NFC West this year. Does going 6-6 in the other 12 games diminish our great season? I would say no. What say you?

Well the Skins were 0-4 against the AFC West so maybe that balances that out. The fact that Seattle has basically 6 gimmes within their division this year certainly puts an asterisk on thier 13-3 record.

Pittsburgh having played a tougher schedule and without their starting QB for two games, and a banged up/recovering starter for a couple more, I lend more weight to their 11-5 record than to Seattle's 13-3. Seattle was 1-2 against playoff teams during the regular season. And the one win was Feely's game in Seattle where he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a 30 yard kick. Their road games this year were JAX, WAS, STL, AZ, SF, PHI, TEN, and GB. Oooooh, how did this team even lose 3 games? With that schedule then can only have excuses for two losses. Week 1 @JAX, and Week 17 @ GB, when everything was clinched...

So excuse me if I don't give Seattle the respect for walking over a cupcake schedule. And excuse me if I think Alexander shouldn't have been the MVP because Seattle would have won that division and got a 1st round bye without him this year...

Now you see how frustrated us Skins fans were after all of the NON CALLS for Seattle when we played them. Face it, it finally caught up to them. Petty maybe but a fouls a foul. Don't think it would have made that much of a difference though.

You see when you play good teams all season long you find ways to win. When you play crappy teams all season long you get by on mediorcrity and a solid team. The SB seperates the men from the boys. Sorry but the best team won, good or bad officiating.

Good point. It pays to be battle tested by the time the big game rolls around.

Although the 1982 Skins faced tougher competition in the regular season, having to win only 8 games to gain homefield advantage sounds pretty easy to me. I'm sure the players appreciated the rest by the time the Super Bowl arrived.

Here the big diference. Everybody in the league that year played only 8 games. Playing 8 games is not an advantage when everyone has to as well. The big reason Seattle had such a cush path was that they had the easiest schedule of all 32 teams, in the worst division in football, and the didn't have to play anyone higher than a 5 seed the entire playoffs.

Archived