Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are there audibles in Gibbs offense

skinfan2k

for the past 2 yrs, i have yet to see brunell change the play at the LOS. being a veteran qb allows you to do those types of things. all i hear him saying is red 40, blue 40.. i mean i dont see gibbs giving his qbs enough options and that plays must be run according to the coaches. is there a reason why?

for the past 2 yrs, i have yet to see brunell change the play at the LOS. being a veteran qb allows you to do those types of things. all i hear him saying is red 40, blue 40.. i mean i dont see gibbs giving his qbs enough options and that plays must be run according to the coaches. is there a reason why?

I think very few QBs are mentally sharp/confident enough to call accurate audibles at the line of scrimmage. They will go with what their OC's call for them. With the notable exception of Peyton Manning who makes a living on audibles. I did see Hasselbeck kill us with an audible when we were lined up to blitz, then he hands it to Mack Strong who busts out a 30 yard run.

Ummm. Actually yes. I watched several games where audibles, or fake audibles were called by Mark. Actually, if memory serves, watched both he and Eli doing it the second Giants game. Joe's not one to leave his guys out to dry out there like Norv. Most coaches aren't.

I think I read/heard that brought up in an interview with Brunell once, and he said something along the lines of "We have audibles, but I'm not going to second guess a HOF coach, he's there for a reason"

Obviously that's not an exact quote, but that was pretty much the content.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news_article.asp?ID=AART9NZG5BDU3RJVEKMV9436HE

GRETZ: Let me ask you the question that’s been asked me: why not do that two-minute offense more often?

VERMEIL: “We do every once in a while throw it in. The two-minute offense is not all just two minute audibles on the line of scrimmage. (Offensive coordinator) Al Saunders called about 65%-75% of the calls there. (QB) Trent (Green) called the other plays and did a good job.

“Not that Trent can’t do it., but you can see so much more from the press box in how they’re playing. Al did a masterful job in both drives.”

All due respect bubba, I would swear I've read about Saunders allowing audibles and could have sworn I've seen Trent calling them from time to time.

i have read that saunders believes that all of his plays have multiple options and dont need to be audiblized.

All due respect bubba, I would swear I've read about Saunders allowing audibles and could have sworn I've seen Trent calling them from time to time.

PCS :nono: you know me better than that :silly:

Two other things made the Saunders offense unique:

Perhaps more than any team in football, the Chiefs used pre-snap shifting and motion by players to create mismatches, particularly for Gonzalez, who always draws extra attention from linebackers and safeties. It wasn't unusual for the Chiefs to be snapping the football as the defense still adjusted to the last shift or motion.

And Green almost never changed plays at the line of scrimmage. Saunders's philosophy is that any play he calls should work against any defense because of the options within the play. Saunders would call a play from the coaches' box, it would be relayed to Green from the sideline and Green would call it in the huddle. Like all veteran quarterbacks, Green sometimes would have liked to have had the option to change a play, but one major bonus of the system was that the Chiefs were rarely hit with delay-of-game penalties.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/20/AR2006012001673.html

What can I say bubba? I've become accustomed to the go to the source method we've employed here since we've noticed how things can be....mistaken in our favorite newspaper. Even if the guy did cover the Chiefs. Got it right from D.V. a couple of years ago. Though maybe he's changed his style since then. :)

Archived