Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blind woman recovers sight after heart attack

China

Blind woman recovers sight after heart attack

A 74-year-old woman who had been blind for 25 years awoke in a British hospital after suffering a heart attack and could see again.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper reports she told her husband: "You've got older."

Doctors were at a loss to explain how Joyce Urch, who lived in a world of shadows and near darkness since 1979, had recovered her sight after the heart attack 16 months ago.

Ms Urch, who was treated at Walgrave Hospital in Coventry, where doctors spent three days battling to save her life, called it a "miracle."

The newspaper showed the white-haired Ms Urch, bright eyed and beaming, in the arms of her husband, Eric, after celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary last weekend.

"When I first came round I just opened my eyes and shouted 'I can see, I can see.' When I looked in the mirror I said 'Oh.' I said to Eric. 'You've got older haven't you?' But I thought I'm old myself, my husband must be too," she was quoted as saying.

"The first time you look in the mirror you look at yourself and think, 'Is that really me?' But a lot of things have changed.

"I love going out now. I can look around and see the trees and squirrels and pigeons."

Ms Urch had been unable to see her five children properly since they were young adults and for the first time she was able to look at her 12 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Despite suffering from glaucoma, doctors did not think this was why she went blind, but could not pinpoint the reasons.

Her husband, 77, did not at first believe his wife, but tested her with what he was wearing and found out she was right.

Pretty cool. There was an article in Discover magazine about a man who had been blind for essentially his entire life and had surgery at middle age to restore his sight.

At the time of the article he could see, but his brain had no way of knowing how to interpret the things he saw. He couldn't tell whether an object was round or sharp unless he felt it, and he couldn't recognize his wife and kids unless they spoke, even though his vision was apparently normal after the procedure. That was several years ago, so I don't know if he's made progress or not.

There seems to be some sort of tie between the eyes and the heart or the treatment for heart attacks. After my heart attack I woke up after surgury found had a giant "floater" in my right eye and noticed I was even more nearsighted than I was before. Nice to see it can work in reverse for someone though.

Archived