Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The new passing attack

Ant15fromNJ

With Saunders coming in as offensive coordinator how much do you think our passing game can improve? He made Trent Green into a top 10 quarterback. He has had four straight years of a 90 plus rating. What do you think he can make our offense into with great players like CP, SM, CC? Maybe he can keep Brunell successful in his older age, he made Trent Green an above average quarterback in his mid to later 30's. I think it's a great sign that we have a lot of developing players that Saunders can help develop into great players, especially J Campbell.

Since joining the Chiefs in 2001, Saunders has been running one of the NFL's hottest offenses. The Chiefs finished first in the league averaging 387 yards a game in 2005. They averaged 25.2 points a game. Under his stewardship, the unit never ranked lower than No. 5 in the NFL in total offense, and was No. 1 each of the last two seasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2298365

I'm sure that Saunders schemes will help our passing attack. Please do not forget, however, that the O Line in KC was monstrous. We will need to upgrade the line to have similar success.

HTTR

Great point! Honestly, I think the difference between all of the KC probowlers and our line is 2-3 more first downs per game. I little more ball control, a few more yards, and a few more points and then we can expect to see the line get more credit.

I know this may not be popular, but I was more impressed by the inside of our line this season than our tackles. Sure there were some holding calls on Rabach, but I liked how the inside rarely crumbled which is a big change from the past. That said, I can't wait to see a healthy Jansen line up and Samuels with a nasty streak.

He should definitely help our entire offense. Just imagine if he is able to use Clinton the same way he did Priest Holmes. Also he has never had a receiver like santana moss, and he can help cooley become an ever better player. If he is able to do what he did with the chiefs for the skins we will definitely have a much better chance to go to the superbowl. We will be able to beat any team in the league.

I like the line and depth would definitely be a necessary addition. I think there are some young tackles on the team but guard play behind Thomas and Dockery is weak to say the least.

I am excited about the changes to the passing game. He has been able to make avg recievers in KC look pretty good and post nice numbers. Imagine what can happen if we add another good WR to go with Moss and Patten and Cooley.

We need to get depth at line. I think we will use at least one draft pick to get a Guard or 2. We need guards.

Whats the deal with Molinaro? And the other guy we drafted in 04?

Also, I wonder if Saunders with have the same impact on our offense the way Gregg had on Defense. I would imagine the learning curver will be shorter for Sanders with Joe to bridge the gap ...

We need to get depth at line. I think we will use at least one draft pick to get a Guard or 2. We need guards.

Exactly. With Thomas, Samuels, & Jansen essentially healthy, I'd put our line against nearly anyone's. I don't think Saunders is going to find an enormous drop-off in line play, but we really got nailed by injuries to the interior of the line & we do need to bolster that area. Draft or cheap FAs.

It would be great in Saunders can upgrade the offense in the same manner as williams in year 1.

According to Chief fans, Cooley will be the H back that Saunders always wanted. But that means the Skins are short the TE that Saunders relied heavily upon in his Offense. That is, Saunders wanted an H back to go along with Gonzalez not Cooley instead of Gonzalez. Wish list for the Offense - one TE, 1-2 WRs, 1 Guard and one C/G flexible back-up. Now, how do you get all that and still be able to maintain the Defense? The Defense slipped dramatically when the DL was hit with injuries. Skins need to develop some young players on the DL (both DT and DE). Skins need to re-sign Harris to a lower salary and still find a young cheap CB for depth.

I really don't get why people are still down on Dockery. Did you people even watch games this year? He looked much better than last year by far. I say looked better because part of why he looked bad last year was Raymer's inadequacy. Raymer was the weak link, but Dock was not as good as Randy Thomas, so teams attacked that gap routinely with good success. Is that Dockery's fault? Maybe partially, but the majority of the blame goes to Raymer. Dock was mostly just guilty by association. Did you see teams getting pentration through that gap this year? Not really. Did Dockery have a bunch of false starts or holding calls? No. He had a solid year. If your want to comment, you might want to comment on things you actually observed, not outdated perceptions.

Give this line another year together, and some quality depth behind the middle of the line, and possibly out at tackle as well, and we should be in good shape.

KC does have a tremedous line, but you have to remember that everything in this sport in interdependant. The line will look better with a good running back, and worse with a poor one. They also look better when they have an efficient passing offense that gets the ball out of the QB's hands, or worse with a disfunctional passing offense that forces them to protect longer. Those guys on the line in KC have had both of those luxuries for some years now, and it makes them look even better than they might actually be, which is damn good anyway. Conversely the other phases of offense look better with good line play. It's all intertwined, and there is no real way to seperate it all out. Hopefully with the addition of Saunders and some key additions at skill positions, we will see a more efficient passing attack, which in turn helps make everything else look better.

Three things I think our offense needs:

#1 - we need our receivers to run some crossing patterns, to holes on the other side of the field.

#2 - more screen passes to the RB's

#3 - the element of surprise. Gibbs promised a more attacking offense this year, but that's hard to do if you are predictable, always running on 1st and 2nd downs. We have to make opponents defend the whole field on every play, not just on third down.

I don't think we put our offense on the field to go win, instead they were trying not to lose. That's what I call a "prevent offense."

Enough with calling Dockery the weak link. If he wasnt that would be saying something about our Oline, after all, hes only been in the league a few years. Compared to the experience of the rest of our Oline hes a rookie, he SHOULD be the weak link, considering the company hes in. The difference is, because he is so young, he will keep getting better. Honestly, does anyone pay attention anymore? The man is not a 10 year vet...I think replacing him with some guy who has never played with our Oline as a small upgrade would be a foolish move, and I dont think we are gonna see it happen.

The key to Saunders' offensive scheme is the line. We've got a good line, but Saunders had Willie Roaf and Will Shields to protect Green. I think our line can be just as good, but it would be a good idea to pick up another quality O-lineman or two to add some depth.

I don't see how Brunell can be compared to Trent Green. Trent used to actually have some mobility but he's always been a pure passer.

Brunell, though he was better at it earlier in his prime, is not a pocket passer and has too many flaws that compare unfavorably with Green.

Archived