Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Al Saunders 5 building blocks offense

George#56

Thank you very much for those links. That is some great insight in the thinkings behind Saunders' offense. I'm sure he will bring lots of it with him to DC. He does talk about needing the talent to operate this offense. I'm sure that he and Gibbs will be working on finding the right guys to run this in DC.

HTTR !!

2. Balance: Although the vertical passing game is what the Chiefs look to do first, this scheme is not designed to be dominated by throwing the ball.

That’s why if there’s a requirement to make this offensive style work, it’s a running back, especially one versatile enough to not only get the tough running yards, but catch the football on the perimeter, stretching the defense even more.

“It’s Marshall Faulk in St. Louis. It was Emmitt Smith in Dallas, Chuck Muncie, Gary Anderson, James Brooks in San Diego, John Riggins with the Redskins,” said Saunders. “Here, it’s Priest Holmes.”

Portis is giggling :D

Very interesting article. What I don't understand though is how he is coming to DC as OC but all the old coaches are staying. Will all the existing coaches be able to fit into his way of doing things? That is, no coaches meeting to discuss strategy - - -each coach focuses on only one thing etc. Organizationally I think it is a big task. Fortunately Gibbs will be there to smooth the inevitable conflicts between the Offensive coaches.

The one fault that KC had for many years was that they invested all of their resources in the Offense to the detriment of the Defense. I hope Saunders is able to work some magic with the existing players and sharing resources with the Defense.

Terrific post

A few points I liked were 1) This offense averaged 6,201 yards per season between 2002-2004. That is nearly 400 yards a game. Wow

2) Talking about the volume of plays. To most of us it seems the Redskins run 10-15 plays a game, and it is a matter of execution and disguise. The Chiefs O had 250-300 plays per game, and because of the simplicity of the language, were able to execute it

I look forward to the 5 building blocks meshing with the current offense we have. It clearly is very similar but there are a few differences, such as the volume of plays

Really interesting stuff to read. It's insightful to read just what coaches do during the week but it's also exciting to hear about Saunders expertise in putting in all together. I'm thinking by next fall we're talking an offensive machine and maybe before Thanksgiving a well-oiled offensive machine!

Thanks for the info.

The other thing is, our vertical passing game has a real game breaker with Moss. KC really did not have that big time game breaking WR that got downfield consistantly. And if the FO adds a quality number 2 WR, this could really open things up deep next season

The more I read, the more excited I am. Not only that, he will fit in seamlessly with the philosophy the current coaching staff has

Archived