Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Al Saunders 5 building blocks offense

George#56

How can you read that (particularly #1 and #5 of the 5 keys) and still think we are going to get a "possession" (slow) WR to be our #2 WR?

Simply put, that no matter if they want to throw the ball downfield or not, they will need a player to drop the ball underneath to, with sure hands and excellent route running abilities.

Saunders had that with Gonzalez and Boerigter. the rest of their WR's are speedsters and under 6 foot tall.

We have Cooley and thats it. there is no equivelent to Boerigter on this roster.

Thanks for an outstanding post!

Here's something nice or better :

Kansas City Chief

Running Backs: Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson

Wide Recievers: Eddie Kennison and Dante Hall

Half Back/Tight End: Tony Gonzales

Washington Redskins

Running backs: Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright...

Wide Recievers: Santana Moss, David Patten, Taylor Jacobs and James Thrash...

Half back/Tight End: Chris Cooley and Robert Royal

I'm sure Al Saunders, Joe Gibbs and the whole offensive staff will think of something nice, if not better!

:cheers:

Simply put, that no matter if they want to throw the ball downfield or not, they will need a player to drop the ball underneath to, with sure hands and excellent route running abilities.

Saunders had that with Gonzalez and Boerigter. the rest of their WR's are speedsters and under 6 foot tall.

We have Cooley and thats it. there is no equivelent to Boerigter on this roster.

Boerigter was not a #2 on that team. He was #4 or #5. For such an important cog, he was inactive for 2 of their December games when they were making their playoff run, despite not being injured. He was invisible for the December games that he did play.

Plus, despite his size, he is actually really fast. He is not as fast as guys like Moss, but he is faster than guys like Givens and a lot faster than Joe Jurevicius.

If we need a Boerigter, we should get Marc Boerigter. He is a free agent.

It is actually possible for a fast guy to have sure hands and good route running skills. I'd much rather dump it off underneath to a guy like Moss, who would be a threat to take it to the house than to Joe Jurevicius who would be chased down from behind by a defensive lineman.

Boerigter was not a #2 on that team. He was #4 or #5. For such an important cog, he was inactive for 2 of their December games when they were making their playoff run, despite not being injured. He was invisible for the December games that he did play.

You are missing the point.

The point is, that Sunders had many guys on the Chiefs that could stetch the field (Parker, Kennison, Hall, Horn) and had possibly the best middle range receiving threat in the last 5 years in Gonzalez (their #1 receiver mind you) and he had Boerigter.

We have the speed guys (Moss, Thrash, Jacobs and Patten) but we do not have anyone close to Gonzalez.

Plus, despite his size, he is actually really fast. He is not as fast as guys like Moss, but he is faster than guys like Givens and a lot faster than Joe Jurevicius.

If we need a Boerigter, we should get Marc Boerigter. He is a free agent.

Try reading the scouting report on him before you sing his praises..

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=4287

He complimented Gonzalez, he wouldnt work here..

It is actually possible for a fast guy to have sure hands and good route running skills. I'd much rather dump it off underneath to a guy like Moss, who would be a threat to take it to the house than to Joe Jurevicius who would be chased down from behind by a defensive lineman.

Moss cannot stretch the field and be thrown underneath at the same time. Thats why we need a #2 WR!

As for the jab about Jurevicius's speed you're almost comical in your ignorance sometimes.. No WR in the NFL is slow enough that a DL is going to catch up on him from behind when he has any kind of distance on him.

Again go back to the scouting reports..

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=1485

He has great hands, excellent concentration on the ball and he uses his big frame to shield off defenders. He has good body control and he does a great job of going up and catching the ball. He is a good route runner and he can find the soft spot in the zone. He can make the hard catch and he fearless about going over the middle and catching the ball in traffic. He is an excellent red zone receiver who can out jump and out muscle smaller DBHe does not have burner speed but he has enough speed so he can hurt you running with the ball after the catch.

Dont let some bias about Jurevicius or your love for Moss or blindness to Patten's inability cloud your view that we need a true possession receiver.

You are missing the point.

The point is, that Sunders had many guys on the Chiefs that could stetch the field (Parker, Kennison, Hall, Horn) and had possibly the best middle range receiving threat in the last 5 years in Gonzalez (their #1 receiver mind you) and he had Boerigter.

We have the speed guys (Moss, Thrash, Jacobs and Patten) but we do not have anyone close to Gonzalez.

Moss cannot stretch the field and be thrown underneath at the same time. Thats why we need a #2 WR!

As for the jab about Jurevicius's speed you're almost comical in your ignorance sometimes.. No WR in the NFL is slow enough that a DL is going to catch up on him from behind when he has any kind of distance on him.

Dont let some bias about Jurevicius or your love for Moss or blindness to Patten's inability cloud your view that we need a true possession receiver.

Glad to see you backed off your Boerigter stance. He is a benchwarmer, and if we really need him, we can get him. But that is enough about him.

We do have someone close to Gonzalez. We have Pro Bowl alternate Chris Cooley. Is Cooley so much worse than Gonzalez that Saunders needs to abandon his philosophy of having speedy WRs and sign a slow #2 WR just to make up the difference?

That Jurevicius remark was a joke. He is slow, but not that slow.

I have no bias against Jurevicius, except that he doesn't fit into Saunders offense. I do have a bias against Patten. I think he should be our #3 WR at best.

I have done nothing but echo what Saunders has said. He said nothing about needing a possession receiver. In fact, he constantly talks about speed. He said nothing about needing a Pro Bowl TE/H-back (which we have in Cooley anyway).

I know it goes against the notion of reassembling The Posse, but Saunders has made it clear that our top 3 WRs will be all speedsters, just like they were with the Rams and Chiefs before us.

• 1 month later...

I finally had the time to read these, and must say that they are great. Deserving of a BUMP.

Just think, if instead of going to Marty after Norv, if we had stuck with a Coryell guy, the transitions might have been easier.

My two biggest questions after reading this are:

1) Will the coaching staff take to Saunders style of meetings, or stick with the Gibbs all together style.

(Personally, I always thought Gibbs style was neat and inclusive, but Saunders style seems to be very organized and I can see how it makes preperation so much easier. Especially having different coaches handle different gameplanning tasks like Red Zone Passing, Two-Minute Drill, Third Downs, etc.)

2) I would like to hear from someone like Santana, Clinton, or Randle El about if the verbiage in this offense is easier than others that they've been in. Obviously, this will be at least one thing that won't have changed from Gibbs, but I would be interested. Gibbs and Saunders both really touted their system of calling plays, and it makes sense to me, but I wonder if the players care at all.

Archived