Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Who Was Most Responsible for the Offense's Poor Performance in the Playoffs?

AJ_Skins

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The only thing that's frustrating is having other people tell me not only what my motivations are, but what I've actually said, as opposed to what I thought I said when I typed it.

Ive addressed other opinions in other threads. In THIS thread, I'm adressing THESE opinions:

Bingo. That's why this board is so useless. If you have anything to say other than:

"Rah! Rah! I love those Redskins! 16-0 or 0-16 makes no difference to me! Dan Snyder could crap on my face and I'd thank him! Joe Gibbs is never wrong and anybody who says so deserves to die!"

you might as well forget it. Waste of time.

And

No. It was an attempt to see if I was really as much of an idiot and a nut as the self-appointed Gestapo around here said I was. Apparently, most people think it was Brunell. Who would've guessed.

I think your motivations are pretty well laid-out in those two posts. When you start using your anger at your inability to gain universal acceptance for your Brunell Conspiracy Theory as justification for bashing this board, a place I've been a member of since it's foundation and currently help run, THEN I have a problem.

AJ, at this point I could care less what you think of Brunell. We're WAY past that. The fact is that your opinions will always be challenged by SOMEONE here, no matter what it is. That's the way messageboards are, bud. It doesn't matter what you're talking about, or how convincing you think you are.

And if you can't learn to celebrate differing opinions, at some point you have to learn to accept them, and maybe realize that it isn't always the rest of the world that has a problem.

I think your motivations are pretty well laid-out in those two posts. When you start using your anger at your inability to gain universal acceptance for your Brunell Conspiracy Theory as justification for bashing this board, a place I've been a member of since it's foundation and currently help run, THEN I have a problem.

AJ, at this point I could care less what you think of Brunell. We're WAY past that. The fact is that your opinions will always be challenged by SOMEONE here, no matter what it is. That's the way messageboards are, bud. It doesn't matter what you're talking about, or how convincing you think you are.

Ultimately it's not a big deal, but what you stated is just not accurate. Far from wanting universal acceptance, I'd just like to be able to state my opinion without the attitude I've gotten in response from what is clearly a very small, but nevertheless highly dedicated group of posters who don't want to hear any criticism of Brunell or Gibbs posted under any circumstances. You would think from what these people say that I'm the ONLY one who thinks these things. Clearly, I'm not.

Since the team is on the verge of making a decision about which QBs it will go into next year with, it is an issue of vital importance right now. Not that my posting here will make any difference, but I don't see many issues more worthy of discussing, unless the only thing you're supposed to post here is your latest tips for painting your entire house burgundy and gold inside and out.

And if you can't learn to celebrate differing opinions, at some point you have to learn to accept them, and maybe realize that it isn't always the rest of the world that has a problem.

Pot? Kettle?

If we all agree to say, "okay, AJ, you're right and the only one who "gets it," in unison, will you agree to a 10-day moratorium on starting any more "But it WAS Brunell and I WAS right" threads? :)
Judging by this poll, there are about 138 people (as of right now) who "get it", and only 25 who have nothing better to do than hang on every word I write waiting to pounce.

I understand why. QB is one of the most important decisions a coach can make, and I'm suggesting Gibbs may have made a mistake. It hits a raw nerve with the most homer-istic fans, and they feel a need to stamp out my heresy so they won't have their blissful boosterism disturbed by reality.

I think most people here take it for what it is, which is my opinion. There a lot of opinions posted here that are much more inarticulate, poorly thought out, and crudely stated than mine. I almost never direct my words at any other poster, but my criticism towards the organization has at times been sharply worded. The fact that I've been attacked the way I have creates the question in my mind, although far from proven, about whether certain people have a vested interest in not rocking the boat with the team...

So is that a no?

Ultimately it's not a big deal, but what you stated is just not accurate. Far from wanting universal acceptance, I'd just like to be able to state my opinion without the attitude I've gotten in response from what is clearly a very small, but nevertheless highly dedicated group of posters who don't want to hear any criticism of Brunell or Gibbs posted under any circumstances. You would think from what these people say that I'm the ONLY one who thinks these things. Clearly, I'm not.

I would say a small but dedicated group of posters vehemently disagree with your opinion. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Would it be fair for me to say you don't want to hear any positive statments made about Gibbs or Brunell? For example, did you not once open a thread with "I've seen some idiotic comments posted here, and they've been made enough times that I think this needs to be addressed directly."?

Closed minded is as closed minded does.

I hate to tell you this, but as long as you make your opinions known, there will be people out there who will make their disagreement at those opinions known. And as the frequency of your anti-Brunell/Gibbs posts bordesr on spam-level you are going to hear a LOT of disagreement.

And as I said initially, that's not the fault of this forum.

I guess you can lump me into that small but dedicated class. However my dedication is certainly not for Brunell or against Ramsey. I just think that the coaching staff, and when I say that I say it as a whole not just Gibbs, doesn't think Ramsey has what it takes to lead us to a superbowl. Remember Gibbs, Musgrave, Don Breaux and to a certain extent Joe Bugel all have input on the QB position. It's pretty obvious to most that they have come to this conclusion through last seasons games that Ramsey started, this preseason and the first few series this year. If that is good enough for them to make their judgement then it's good enough for me. Can they be completely mistaken? I'm sure they can but one way or another Ramsey isn't the answer in THIS particular offense. Can he be successful somewhere else? Sure but that doesn't mean he would have been here.

I would say a small but dedicated group of posters vehemently disagree with your opinion. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Would it be fair for me to say you don't want to hear any positive statments made about Gibbs or Brunell? For example, did you not once open a thread with "I've seen some idiotic comments posted here, and they've been made enough times that I think this needs to be addressed directly."?

Closed minded is as closed minded does.

I hate to tell you this, but as long as you make your opinions known, there will be people out there who will make their disagreement at those opinions known. And as the frequency of your anti-Brunell/Gibbs posts bordesr on spam-level you are going to hear a LOT of disagreement.

And as I said initially, that's not the fault of this forum.

I'm not anti-Gibbs in the least. I've been a fan of his since I was a kid. The fact that we made the playoffs is a testament to his skill as a leader. I just think he's been wrong about one issue of key importance, the quarterback. Most of the heat I've taken has been because some people will not question him AT ALL, and will go after anybody who does.

Injuries were the reason the offense stuggled.

Brunell was beat up, Portis was beat up, Randy Thomas was out, Patten and Thrash were out, and Ray Brown was hurt.

BINGO......this is why I voted other. Randy Thomas being out really hurt the running game....and with both Patten & Thrash out there was no second WR to open things up for Moss.

I'm not anti-Gibbs in the least. I've been a fan of his since I was a kid. The fact that we made the playoffs is a testament to his skill as a leader. I just think he's been wrong about one issue of key importance, the quarterback. Most of the heat I've taken has been because some people will not question him AT ALL, and will go after anybody who does.

You are a retard...Patrick Ramsey sucks.

I posted this in another of AJ's Brunell bashing threads. Since he keeps repeating himself, I will respond in kind.

What about Randy Thomas getting hurt? Isn't it after that injury that Brunell, Portis, Moss, Cooley and the rest of the offense began to struggle?

Brunell has almost twice as many wins in Washington (15) than Ramsey has in his career (8). Brunell guided this team to its first playoff birth in 6 years, to its first season sweep of Dallas in 10 years, and led the league's 11th ranked offense (an improvement of 20 places over the previous season). He was ranked respectably at fifth in the conference in passer rating.

Sure, he is no super star. He doesn't need to be. Brunell was never meant to carry this team. No QB was. That is not the way this system works. QB doesn't have as high a priority in this offense as it does in your mind. This offense just needs a smart veteran under center. Brunell is the perfect fit until Gibb's own 1st round selection is ready.

Ramsey is just a turnover machine, always has been, always will be.

The only thing that's frustrating is having other people tell me not only what my motivations are, but what I've actually said, as opposed to what I thought I said when I typed it.

The reason they do it is because it's easier to set up a straw man argument, namely that I'm somehow fanatically rooting for Patrick Ramsey, than it is to deal with the substance of what I've actually said, which is mostly about BRUNELL and the fact that he CANNOT lead this team to a Super Bowl victory. I can state the same sentences I've stated a number of times since the end of the season, but it won't do any good:

Does anybody else find this statement extremely funny? He spells out that he finds it frustrating when people try to tell him what his motivations are and then he tells us what their motivations are.

AJ_Skins, why is it that people can't just disagree with you because that is what they believe? Why does that make them blind-boot-licking-homers?

Mark Brunell was a factor in the loss to Seattle but so was the offensive line, the secondary, the defense giving up several very big plays and the fact that we were playing our 5th must-win road game in 7 weeks against a very, very good football team. Seattle has not lost at home this year.

Brunell may not have played his greatest game of the year but did you realize he had a pretty darned good 2nd half. Here are his stats:

22 att, 15 comp, 204 yds, 1 TD, 0 Int, 68%, 112.7 QB rating

Not too shabby considering he was running (or hobbling) for his life most of the time.

Now on to my next point. I have seen several people point out that Gregg Williams was/is a savior and the reason the Skins did well this year. While I agree that he played a huge role I don't consider it as much of a factor as Joe Gibbs contribution. How many people here realize that our offense was ranked 5th in the NFC and our defense was ranked 6th? Why are so many people up in arms about Mark Brunell's play or the play calling when we gave up a 32 yard run to Mack Strong of all people on a critical 3rd down play late in the game or 5 plays in total of 29 yards or more in the game? Where is all the rampant hand wringing that we should bring in some help for Gregg?

Again, I in no way am bashing Williams because I think he has done a great job but so has Gibbs and he will continue to move this offense in the right direction.

You are a retard...Patrick Ramsey sucks.
EXHIBIT A

Yeah...I'm the one who's in the wrong. Whatever.

Stophovr6 needs to read the Rules and learn about namecalling as well as attacking ideas and not their proponents. He will do that ... right, Stohpovr6?

And AJ, most people haven't categorically said "you're wrong." What many have said, over and over and over again, is that while they understand your position, they don't all necessarily agree with you 100%.

That is the Way of the Web, my friend. You can hate it, but there it is.

Actually I think most here DO get what you're saying, AJ.

If I may?

You don't think this team can win the Super Bowl next year with Brunell.

You don't think this team can win the Super Bowl next year with Campbell.

You do believe the team might win the Super Bowl next year with Ramsey.

Some people agree with you.

Others do not.

You think that those who do not either don't "get it," are blind, useless homers, or are simply big meanies who love picking on you.

What I think most of us don't get is why you need to keep saying it over and over and over again.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Big meanies -- :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So I'm browsing through the boards today........not thinking much about much, and I come across yet another "AJ hates Brunell" thread.

Shocker.

Folks are disputing his theory, and he's determined to convert everyone's mentality.

Shocker.

Brunell was always going to be AJ's scape-goat should the Skins not win the Super Bowl.

Shocker.

As I wrote to you in the pre-season, week 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, etc. etc. AJ, I admire your persistence. I'm sure no one is shocked to see you out here banging the "Brunell sucks" drum. I'm not EVEN going down the debate trail with you regarding your theory.......but I will say simply this.........there wasn't a QB on our roster that would have made a difference. Our O line was, well, offensive in the Seattle game. Simply terrible.

Let it go my friend. You can cheer Ramsey on next year in whatever uniform he's wearing. I hope to the good lord he lands a starting job so we can see him exposed for what he is. I always said I liked the guy.....but he's as much as a legitimate starting QB in this league as "In Gus We Trust" is. They are carbon copies of one another.

Anyway, before I forget, thanks for showing up with the Brunell hating comments.......I find them entertaining.

Archived