Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peyton Manning's Post Game Comments

KDawg

I'll just respond by saying that, Peyton saying, "we had some protection problems" after a game where he was sacked 5 times, and was running all around the field to stay away from the defense isn't really analogous to, "Peyton needs to show more emotion DURING playoff games. Dungy isn't a good coach because you need a disciplinarian... I'm not a fan of the team that I play for. We will never get better."

I'm also not sure what exchange of bodily fluid has to do with it. And I'm not sure which game Peyton played in such a way that O-Line would have had a right to call him out. Even in this game, the Colts came within a missed field goal of getting a W, in spite of the fact that Pittsburgh's line play was dominant. That's a credit to Manning and his receivers(and what might be the worst call in NFL history). Also, if your calling him a leader, it kind of is his job.

I don't like the expectations that people put on these players one bit. What you're asking is just emotionally inhuman. A player has to go out and wear his heart on sleeve every single game, but as soon as he's on the sidelines he has to turn into a robot, who doesn't really say anything? How do you expect him to be a field general when he's not allowed to show emotion in any other aspect of his life? When does he get practice for the bone jarring expeience of being on the field?

I really think a team that was extremely disciplined, but on and off the field were very emotional, very quick to call out players who underperformed, and didn't care who heard, would be tough to beat. They would almost definitely have the emotional advantage over a team that was equal in talent and preparation. It only makes sense that if they don't have to oscilate between "born to win" and "robot who says nothing," they would be more emotional on the field. You need some time to let it build up. Why not let it happen all season rather than a couple hours before games.

Basically, what I'm saying is that every sports cliche you've heard is wrong. I know it's bold, but I think the argument is there.

I can't disagree with your stance on any of what you said more.

Ok, well, I was planning on waiting for your next response and then checking out and watching a movie, unless something I found particularly interesting that came up in your response.

Have a good night.

Yah, sorry to disappoint, I just can't bring myself to type any more. It's obvious that we aren't going to agree, and that's okay. We have different ways of looking at this situation.

Did you see Manning's interview after the game?!

He said, "i'm trying to be a good teamate here but we did have some protection problems."

I lost a lot of respect for Manning after that.

He had his share of passes off the mark. And he definately gets happy feet when he gets pressured.

I seriously hope he never even sniffs a Superbowl after blaming the loss on his O-line. You just don't do that.

Guest sith lord
To top it off -- He overruled his Head Coach in the game. Real Classy Guy

Even though it worked and I actually believed they should of went for it, that really pissed me off.

After seeing Manning's post-game comments, it makes me so frickin' happy that we have Mark Brunell as our leader. He would NEVER talk about a fellow player that way, even if it was deserved.

If our O-Line wasn't getting it done, he would have said he could have played better himself, and that they'll have to go back and see the tape before they comment....

It's great having a gimpy 35-year old QB with a noodle arm floating passes and damn near getting your best player killed on a key 3rd down...

Brunell can't point out a great many problems with the Redskins offense, because he himself is a big cause of said problems.

As far as Manning's comments. What question was he responding to? I have yet to see the actual question written out, only his response to the question. For all we know it was a loaded question that was gonna make him look bad no matter what.

Are you guys saying they didn't have any protection issues with that Steelers blitz?

Do you realize that Manning is responsible for making adjustments to the protection schemes at the line of scrimmage?

He only prefaced his statement, because he knew it would sound bad no matter how it came out. But when the Colts go back and look at that film I'm sure he will take enough of the blame himself for making incorrect adjustments.

These kind of things get said in press conferences all the time. This is the second forum I've visited where the membership went nuts over this statement. And in my opinion is a gross overreaction to the situation...

I posted some stuff in the other thread, what happened to closing duplicate threads around here, or at least merging them.

But it's not been mentioned by others...

Peyton Manning is party responsible for the protection. He calls out the blocking adjustments pre-snap. So when he says WE had protection issues, he really does mean WE. He had to preface his statement, because it was definitely gonna sound bad and that wasn't his intention.

I still wonder what the question was. I think everyone overreacted to Peyton stating a simple fact without knowing the full details your overreactions are very telling of your envy for one of the best QBs in the league.

Put Peyton on a team with a commitment to the run (again partly his fault as he always has the option to pass, and partly the reason they had protection issues), say the Redskins, and that team is in the Super Bowl, no doubt...

Nostril, does someone really need to explain the importance of avoiding finger-pointing in team sports?

The first rule of leadership is everything is your fault. Leaders don't say "well I did MY job." Does Gibbs say that? Good gravy, I'd pass out from shock if he ever pulled a stunt like that.

If Manning is a leader on that team he shouldn't have said what he said. You support your guys in public and talk to them in private. By publicly calling his line out, Manning has alienated them from himself and possibly the rest of the team. They will resent him for what he said, whether or not he was right about it, and the other members of the team will either agree with Manning and resent the line, or disagree and resent Manning. And why? So Manning can make an excuse for losing yet another playoff game.

It's a terrible precendent to set. Now, anytime anyone screws up, will a teammate go to the media about it? Manning did it, so why not? Now everyone's blaming everyone else for losing ... great team atmosphere you're fostering there. TO would be proud. Let's get Keyshawn Johnson and Jeff George on the horn and sign 'em up.

The reason people in this thread are saying "you just don't DO that" is because it is should be obvious to anyone playing team sports that publicly calling out a teammate, kicking him when the team is down in order to deflect blame from one's self is immature and stupid. Nobody expects Manning to be a robot, but he's been a professional in this league for almost a decade. He himself has been called out by a teammate for losing in the playoffs. He should know better.

Nostril, does someone really need to explain the importance of avoiding finger-pointing in team sports?

The first rule of leadership is everything is your fault. Leaders don't say "well I did MY job." Does Gibbs say that? Good gravy, I'd pass out from shock if he ever pulled a stunt like that.

If Manning is a leader on that team he shouldn't have said what he said. You support your guys in public and talk to them in private. By publicly calling his line out, Manning has alienated them from himself and possibly the rest of the team. They will resent him for what he said, whether or not he was right about it, and the other members of the team will either agree with Manning and resent the line, or disagree and resent Manning. And why? So Manning can make an excuse for losing yet another playoff game.

It's a terrible precendent to set. Now, anytime anyone screws up, will a teammate go to the media about it? Manning did it, so why not? Now everyone's blaming everyone else for losing ... great team atmosphere you're fostering there. TO would be proud. Let's get Keyshawn Johnson on the horn and Jeff George and sign 'em up.

The reason people in this thread are saying "you just don't DO that" is because it is should be obvious to anyone playing team sports that purposefully calling out a teammate, kicking him when the team is down in order to deflect blame from one's self is immature and stupid. Nobody expects Manning to be a robot, but he's been a professional in this league for almost a decade. He himself has been called out by a teammate for losing in the playoffs. He should know better.

Someone who gets "it". Great post Henry :notworthy

Evidently I see this a little different than the vast majority of people.

I don't think Peyton is calling out his OL specifically.

It's a rather simple argument that can be summed up in a few questions...

Why did the Colts struggle on offense?

They had problems with the Steelers blitz packages; they had protection issues.

Who is responsible for protection?

Everyone seems to think only the OL is responsible for making sure the QB stays erect. I don't see it that way. Manning is responsible for calling out the protection before every play. Do you really think he didn't screw something up along the way. Also, when there are blitzes, RBs, WRs, and TEs have to adjust their assignments as well. All in All the protection issues were a TEAM problem.

So does saying there are protection issues indict the entire offense or just the OL?

Personally I think it's an indictment on the entire offense. I guess my mind is bent...

If the reporter followed up with a simple question like "What kind of protection issues?" This would reveal Peyton's true feelings on the matter and then everyone could berate him for being a bad leader if his response was to say they just outmanned us up front. But that never happened so everyone is jumping on Manning's rather vague statement because everyone loves to hate the guy that sets records but never wins "when it matters"...

If the reporter followed up with a simple question like "What kind of protection issues?" This would reveal Peyton's true feelings on the matter and then everyone could berate him for being a bad leader if his response was to say they just outmanned us up front. But that never happened so everyone is jumping on Manning's rather vague statement because everyone loves to hate the guy that sets records but never wins "when it matters"...

Your whole premise is shot because I actually like Manning.

Evidently I see this a little different than the vast majority of people.

I don't think Peyton is calling out his OL specifically.

It's a rather simple argument that can be summed up in a few questions...

Why did the Colts struggle on offense?

They had problems with the Steelers blitz packages; they had protection issues.

Who is responsible for protection?

Everyone seems to think only the OL is responsible for making sure the QB stays erect. I don't see it that way. Manning is responsible for calling out the protection before every play. Do you really think he didn't screw something up along the way. Also, when there are blitzes, RBs, WRs, and TEs have to adjust their assignments as well. All in All the protection issues were a TEAM problem.

So does saying there are protection issues indict the entire offense or just the OL?

Personally I think it's an indictment on the entire offense. I guess my mind is bent...

That's fair. I only saw the Sportscenter soundbite so his words could have been taken out of context (like ESPN ever does that :) .) And if that's the case I'm certain he will clarify his statement in no time. :)

However, the man did lead with "I'm trying to be a good teammate" which to ME says he knew he was specifically blaming someone other than himself for the team's performance. I can assure you I'm not looking for a reason to hate Manning. He said what he said. Fortunately his team has an entire offseason to get over it so I'm sure this will be a non-issue come summer.

I'll just respond by saying that, Peyton saying, "we had some protection problems" after a game where he was sacked 5 times, and was running all around the field to stay away from the defense isn't really analogous to, "Peyton needs to show more emotion DURING playoff games. Dungy isn't a good coach because you need a disciplinarian... I'm not a fan of the team that I play for. We will never get better."

If he wasn't blaming his teammates, why would he preface "we were having protection problems" with "I'm trying to be a good teammate, but..."? He admits that saying that they had protection problems is invalidating the premise that he is being a good teammate.

Archived