Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Improving the offense must be job #1

grampi

The offense was just pathetic against Seattle. Brunell's passes had absolutely no zip on them, and most were way off the mark. The run blocking by the offensive line was completely non-existant, and the pass blocking wasn't much better. I also noticed Brunell having to spend A LOT of time trying to find an open receiver, so maybe the receivers need to learn how to run better routes.

It's impossible to tell just how much injuries and fatigue had to do with the poor showing, but I have no doubt it was a major factor. Living in a do-or-die situation for 7 straight weeks takes a huge toll. This team was banged up and had to be running on nothing but fumes.

That said, I believe this team MUST get more production from the offense if they're going to be a SB team next year. They WILL NOT make it with this offense. I know I've questioned Gibbs before (and I was usually wrong), but what worries me is his unwaivering preference for veteran QB's. There's little that gets by Gibbs, but I'm wondering if his incessive insistance on playing veteran QB's has blinded him to Brunell's clearly erroding skills. He may still be the best decision maker on the field, but his physical abilities are gone. He doesn't even have the stamina to play the entire season anymore. I don't think this team can advance next year with Brunell as our starter, but I just can't picture Joe going against his every fiber by making MB a backup and starting either PR or JC. What do you think?

Also, they're going to have to find out how to get some consistant play from the offensive line. While there were a few games where they did some good run blocking, for the most part they were inconsistant at best. These guys aren't much of a resemblence of the "Hogs."

I can't fault the defense much, they're pretty much where they need to be. They didn't look nearly as ferocious against Seattle as they had in previous weeks, but they had to be out of gas, which is certainly understandable given what they've been through.

It'll be interesting to see if JG can get this offense where it needs to be.

I agree that the offense needs to be priority #1 but I think you are putting too much blame on Brunell. He would be better if he had some more targets, atleast some players that he trusts to make plays. Cooley, Moss, and Portis are the only players he looks for cuz they are the only ones that can make the plays.

Just tune in the weeks ahead and you will see Gibbs bring in some more talent to help the offense out!!!Gibbs knows that we need more fire power for the offense and he is looking or already has his guy in the scope!!!I'm not disappointed with the season,hell just compare the 2004 skins to the 2005 skins from 6-10 to 10-6 and a wild card win in the post season!!I can remember at the start of the season that everyone would be happy just to make the playoffs and we did!!!!!

That's exactly right, skinpride1. Everyone was saying how great it would be to make the playoffs. I think we could have won yesterday, and even though we played like crap, I think some of the calls went against us too. None of it takes away from the season we had. Not only that, but to have our backs up against the wall and go on a late-season tear to make the post-season... It showed something really important...that this team has heart.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

HAIL COACH GIBBS!

Comparing the 2004 season to Brunell in early 2005, you know the guy just doesn't play well with leg injuries. I think that has a lot to do with the lack of "zip" late in the season and in the playoffs. When he was healthy this year, Brunell played VERY well.

I think our offensive line is OK. More depth would be nice, but I like our starters when they're healthy. Randy Thomas going down killed us. The guy is one of the very best linemen in the league.

As far as Ramsey and Campbell, I think PR is a known quantity. He's going to make some big plays, but he'll also make big mistakes. Campbell is a COMPLETELY unknown quantity. He could be a star or a bust, or something in between. I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to "waste" a championship defense on a QB we don't know much about. I'll have to trust Coach Gibbs to make the QB decisions in the offseason and early next year.

It's been hashed and rehashed on here a thousand times, but we must have a #2 WR. Moss and Cooley are our only real receiving threats. I would like to have a veteran FA, preferably like a Reggie Wayne (who wouldn't?) I just don't want to risk drafting a guy who could be another Taylor Jacobs.

Did anyone watch Peyton Manning lose because his freaking O line could not protect him??? That is the bottom line in this league. We lost yesterday because of our O line.
You are exactly right and I don't care who is a Dockery fan, that guy is holding that o-line back...he is a liability. He needs help when pass blocking and he does absolutely nothing when run blocking. If we are going to improve the o-line it is going to have to start with Dockery.

:doh: Unbelieveable. Brunell takes us to the 2nd round of the playoffs and he still gets :pooh: on.

I don't think it's crapping on Brunell by pointing out his obvious pitfalls. Clearly his best days are behind him and I seriously doubt he has the stamina any longer to remain productive for an entire season. He was our best choice this year, but he may not be next year.

Brunell had a very respectable season for us this year, but lets face it hes not getting any younger and it was pretty obvious that his body was just tired. Its no coincidence that he looked his worst the last three games of the season. Its time to get Jason Campbell in there and see what he can do.

Keep Brunell as our backup and get what we can for Rat Pansey.

Think about it JG only has about two years left, So IF we start Brunell in 06 then do we play campbell in 07? That will be JGs last year, starting a qb who has never taken a snap. I dont think we do that, now is the time for Jason Campbell. There were four or five very young Qbs who took their team to the Playoffs this year so its not like this is totally out of the question. Hail.

Brunell takes us to the 2nd round of the playoffs

I disagree with this statement. This is more accurate: The Washington Redskins were able to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in spite of the play of Mark Brunell.

Begining of the season - he was a fumble machine.

Later in the season - he held on to the ball, but couldn't get the offense to do anything.

U know, talking about 2nd WR's... i think this is the part of the team we struggled with all year and never really got it sorted.

Why did we ever let Rod Gardner go? He did jack for any other team... and all our #2's had worse stats than him.

Patten was healthy but wasnt a threat. Thrash was never a threat. Jacobs is a #4 at best. Anotonio Brown dont even keep. Get it sorted team!!! Mcants was good and we let him go too. Stoopid.

I disagree with this statement. This is more accurate: The Washington Redskins were able to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in spite of the play of Mark Brunell.

Begining of the season - he was a fumble machine.

Later in the season - he held on to the ball, but couldn't get the offense to do anything.

So then you are saying that we could have had any ol QB at the helm and we still would have made it?

If memory serves me right, first time around JG used QBs while he educated the younger QB to the point where he wanted him, this was never going to be our year not SB wise anyway. PR came on against Giants and did well, do i see a patten forming here, here called a couple of time outs early but when he got going so did the skins. Last offseason the defence was sorted out and improved now its the turn of the offence and special teams, I am not going to say who should be cut that is not my job that is the JG and his staff to take care off.

I do know that at the first game in the preseason this team will be ready and roaring to go, Maybe MB is not going to play or maybe he is, again not my decision, when PR was dragged early in the season a lot of people said that JG was done and the game had passed him by, however, a lot of people have since wiped egg of their faces and the skins got rolling, I really believe that next season the skins will win the following games

Dallas (sweep)

Eagles (sweep)

Giants 1 win 1 loss

Falcons

Panthers

Jaguars

Titans

Vikings

Saints

Buccs

Texans

Rams

the only game I am not sure of is the colts game and it should be a beauty

So a 14 and 2 season gets us the NFC east and possible 1st seed in the NFL.

SO bring it on I just cant wait for it all to happen....go skins I love Gibbskins football

Archived