Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell - this offseason and training camp will tell us a lot

redman

We've had a wonderful year, but we had some deficiencies on offense that simply cannot be overlooked. People seem to be blaming a lot of those problems on our WR corps, and while a 2nd playmaker at WR would certainly be helpful, I'm questioning that logic.

Remember when people were talking about the "triplets" in Dallas and then in Indy for a while? Emmitt, Aikman and Irvin; Edge, Peyton and Marvin. For years those triplets lacked a 2nd playmaking WR and they still flourished. We even may have a better receiving TE than those triplets did, certainly in Indianapolis. We have "triplets" too. Portis, Brunell and Moss. The trouble is, there's no confusing who the weak triplet is: Brunell.

We saw this year why Gibbs has faith in him. He's an excellent leader on the field, generally makes good decisions with the football, has good vision of the field and he's at his best sometimes when the play breaks down. He's a winner. But he's also 35 years old, and that began to show as the year went on.

He reminded me a bit of Brad Johnson in 1999, when Brad had an amazing start to the season; IIRC we were almost keeping pace statistically with the Rams that year through the first 7 games or so. The trouble was Brad wore down and the crisp, deep throws that he was completing early on in the season weren't there later on.

These are problems that won't simply disappear; if anything, they'll get worse as Brunell continues to age. The only solution is to find someone younger to step in and, based upon our draft last year, that person is exected to be Jason Campbell.

First year's for QB's are when their heads are swimming trying to adjust to the complexity of NFL offenses and defenses, and the speed of the NFL game. Campbell's first year ended yesterday. What we should start to see are reports about how he's mastering the offense and making strides as a NFL QB. While I don't expect him to start the season as the starting QB, that expectation is based upon Gibbs' reluctance to bench a veteran starting QB more than it has anything to do with Campbell.

We should however see a spirited battle in training camp between Campbell and Brunell for the starting job, and some demonstrated mastery of the offense by Campbell during the preseason games. I expect next preseason and next season to be a good example of the 2nd string QB being the most popular guy in town.

If Campbell hasn't developed that much, then I will begin to be concerned about whether he was the prospect we thought we were getting when we traded up to draft him.

I haven't mentioned Ramsey. That's simply because I believe that he'll be acquired by another team to be their starting QB. Given Brunell and Campbell, Ramsey is more valuable to us in trade than he is as a third QB on our roster. What to me will be interesting in his regard is if we keep him, what kind of a statement will that be about Brunell or Campbell?

I think that Brunell will be the starter in 06 but Campbell will get a lot of time in the preseason. I think Marc will get hurt in 06 and the Jason Campbell Era will begin.

The only down fall to the 5 game winning streak to end the season was it kept Campbell on the bench. I think if we would have missed the playoffs he would have started the last 2 or 3 games.

If he plays next season I wonder if it will set the Redskins back a bit but it is he has to play be cause he is the QB of the future. :applause:

I think that Brunell will be the starter in 06 but Campbell will get a lot of time in the preseason. I think Marc will get hurt in 06 and the Jason Campbell Era will begin.

The only down fall to the 5 game winning streak to end the season was it kept Campbell on the bench. I think if we would have missed the playoffs he would have started the last 2 or 3 games.

If he plays next season I wonder if it will set the Redskins back a bit but it is he has to play be cause he is the QB of the future. :applause:

no way Brunell will be the starter. Campell in order to have a good yr needs all the work in the QB schools, mini camps, training camps, EVERYTHING. 100 PERCENT OF THE WORK. Putting in Campbell green will do nothing for this team.

The goal next yr is have the offense clicking by the end of the year. Not to begin the yr

If Ramsey is still on the team next season, it means Campbell simply isn't ready. That would be a little concerning since he's coming from an SEC school and not Division II or III as was the case with McNair. I still feel he was a bit of a reach in the first round. Only time will tell.

These are all great posts. I just hope that the Redskin faithful and those that post on this board are prepared for missing the playoffs next year if Campbell is the guy. No disrespect to Jason. I just think that it would be very difficult to ask a second year quarterback who hasn't taken a single regular season snap to be the guy who leads a team into the playoffs. It could happen, but we just need to realize that next year might be a step backwards as far as playoffs.

The QB problem needs to be fixed first and foremost. I really hope that Brunnell is gone next year and we can let Ramsey and Campbell battle it out but Gibbs is just so loyal to vet QBs I dont know if this will ever happen. If it hadnt of been for Lawrence Taylor, Joe Theisman probably would have started several more years here even after his play had dwindled to near Brunnell level.

These are all great posts. I just hope that the Redskin faithful and those that post on this board are prepared for missing the playoffs next year if Campbell is the guy. No disrespect to Jason. I just think that it would be very difficult to ask a second year quarterback who hasn't taken a single regular season snap to be the guy who leads a team into the playoffs. It could happen, but we just need to realize that next year might be a step backwards as far as playoffs.

Palmer, Big Ben, Eli Manning, Chris Simms, you do need a vet to make the playoffs

Palmer, Big Ben, Eli Manning, Chris Simms, you do need a vet to make the playoffs

Exactly...And as far as managing the game, we did that through defense and play calling. With a little more pop in this offense this team would have been still playing.

Thank you for a nice, well-reasoned post.

For the sake of the offense I hope that Gibbs starts to value down-the-field playmaking a good bit more and the QB job is an open competition next year. I think I'll be a little discouraged if Brunell is starting again and the offense is so horizontally oriented.

Carson Palmer and Eli each had a full season under their belts before they got their team to the post-season. Palmer had one year on the bench and a year of playing before he got them there.

Big Ben is really the only one who came in and ran the team for a full year. Simms was the beneficiary of a great defense.

Like I said, it can happen, but we need to be prepared for a step backward.

Carson Palmer and Eli each had a full season under their belts before they got their team to the post-season. Palmer had one year on the bench and a year of playing before he got them there.

Big Ben is really the only one who came in and ran the team for a full year. Simms was the beneficiary of a great defense.

Like I said, it can happen, but we need to be prepared for a step backward.

Brunell would be a 3-13 QB without this defense. There will be no steps back only steps foward. Gibbs knows the team need a big strong QB.

I have to disagree with one premise of the original post. Alvin Harper and Reggie Wayne were the other playmakers. Harper stretched the field and opened it up for Irvin...Harper was Aikman's big play outlet. And Manning has long had more than one passing option in Marvin Harrison. Their team has become astronomical because now they have three options at receiver.

Yeah, Brunell doesn't have the arm strength he may have used to, but the graphic they showed last night was indicative of why the Redskins got as far as they did. They were +18 in turnover ratio. End of story, basically. When PI was called on Farris, that was the turning pt of the game. They recovered on that 3rd down, but they didn't score...if they had called PI on the Seattle Defense, it would have been a different game in the last 5:00. Saying the QB position needs to be fixed first and foremost is pretty misguided. If you had said that Ramsey's numbers this year would have been what Brunell's were, we'd have all been ecstatic. Brunell had a great year and if he's our best chance to get to the Super Bowl next year, that's the wagon I'm hopping on.

You need an experienced QB to fill in for Brunell if he goes down next year, therefore I think we keep Ramsey and he will take over at some point for Brunell next year. I think Brunell will be let go of after next season and I see us signing Ramsey to an extension and Campbell taking over the QBing role sometime in 2008. Just my thoughts.

Archived